Into the Black 323 members · 4 stories
Comments ( 176 )
  • Viewing 151 - 200 of 176
Comment posted by the host deleted Nov 9th, 2013
Journeyman
Group Contributor

Adding "dark" to something, the science equivalent to: "we have no goddamn idea what this does."

Red matter does not currently exist, at least not in the Star Trek universe. It's complete fiction and I don't know of any real life equivalent to reproduce such effects.

However, there are a few inferences that we can make and reproduce from a fictional standpoint. When you break down the physics of it, the process makes sense. It is a substance that becomes super dense on contact with extreme heat and pressure, the same you would find at the core of a planet. It doesn't last long because mini black holes are highly unstable and break down quickly.

The molecular structure could quickly collapse. Given that we only see the stuff in a giant sterile bubble, it lends further credence to the theory that the stuff is an artificial substance.

You may need to house rule the stuff, as it is an easy game breaker. Perhaps the stuff is insanely hard to synthesize or half of the attempts to make it ended up in black hole-sized research stations.

WARNING: Pointless Ramblings
The idea of of a singularity event that "does'nt last long" is bollux. A black hole is the closest we get to something that doesn't end. They only 'die' when they meet another larger black hole and even then they more combine than are destroyed. The extremely dense substance that makes up a black hole actually continues to crush itsself more and more. This is why physicists think that black holes 'rip' the fabric of the universe... Pullin this outa my arse in case ya havnt noticed.

What does house rule mean?

A rotation station is great but the Sovereignties have to be able to move swiflely and be ready quickly because of cataclismic space hazards. The station just does'nt provide that.

I actual sited red matter in Tecnic minecraft mod.

Idea for grabs. Species type Knarkhorde. 9ft tall. Thick armor plating not disimilar to an an armadillo. Bipedal. Architecture is shoddy and shanty town esk. Pack mentality alpha is ruler locally until defeated. Knarkhorde are natural miners.

Idea for grabs. Species type Spyre. Little green men. 3ft tall. Disproportionately large heads. Bipedal. Architexture is smooth and refined. Spyre reside in nebulas and are insanely smart though not without a sense of personality.

Idea for grabs. Species type Vi. Hive mind. 5-6ft tall. Most similar to human physiologyn sans an upside-down pyramid shaped head, no hair,and red glistening skin. All Vi in the universe berserk if monarch is killed. The hive mind acts almost exactly like an organic Internet.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

You are mistaken. Black holes operate on a set of physics just like the rest of the universe. despite their potential reality-warping ability, the affect the real world using the same physics and gravity. They can die just like everything else.

Black holes will only exist as long as they have a continuous source of matter to munch on. If the stream of matter dries up for extended periods, they can literally evaporate. This is assisted by something called Hawking radiation. Simply put, small black holes emit large amount of heat and radiation, while bigger ones emit smaller amounts. If a black hole goes through this process quick enough, it evaporates. The most notable example is the micro black hole which emit Hawking radiation so fast and in such great quantities they can literally dies before light or matter can cross the event horizon.

House ruling is a role-playing term used when a player uses another set of rules, but modifies them for a specific and consistent reason. This is done when events under normal conditions, readers, or players would go off without a hitch, but would not with you due to certain circumstances. For instance, suppose you make a story about a game where this is a special water that heals all injuries. You want to make a dark and gritty story in this universe, but if everyone readily has access to this water, no one can get hurt for long. Establishing a house rule changes some things. You can make the wells dry up completely and describe the eventual fallout. You can say some event reduced the effectiveness of the water. Perhaps instead of being available to everyone, there was a coup and now the water is in the hands of a corrupt warlord.

As for the Minecraft stuff, I've never heard of it until now. It reminds me of something called Red Steel, an item in D&D that can be refined into weapons and armor. Red Steel is an ore that never breaks and never dulls. That's all I know about it.

Huh. Wonder if there's a connection.

Also damn forgot that black holes constantly emit energy. Quazar is my favorite astronomy word! Anyway, we got off topic and I wanna go lurk some more.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

This thread was designed to produce ideas, so I don't mind fleshing out the little details.

Well, back from The Mojave and I have new idea balls I stole from manatees (Douchebags) The rotating station is a little far fetched to be produced by us (Humans) retards. Have you guys thought about using a world with a moon and put in in geosynchronous orbit via dock-able orbital elevators. No atmosphere to snap it due to duress and also the ability to move as part of a unit when undocked.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

The calculus involved would break the brains of even the most hardcore scientists, but it could be done. For scientific Rule of Cool, it is possible, but only as long as there is some pretty ninja Handwave of God going on. I'd recommend some smaller planetoids tho are in rotational orbits around each other. That would produce the side effect of a Zero G in the epicenter, but there's less of a chance of something going catastrophically, horribly wrong.

2377789 Well, that sounds slightly impossible. Because unless also handwaves of god were in play/ Phlebotinum-115 wouldn't they just smash into each other over time?

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Not quite. It can take tens or hundreds of years depending on conditions. Single years are nothing but eye blinks on the cosmic scale. It's more than possible, just unlikely.

2461479 Well shit, what I meant to say was an orbital elevator of sorts in geosynchronous orbit, not a fucking moon. That would be straight up plothole. Or possibly some borderlands 2 langrange point style station with magic gravity

Journeyman
Group Contributor

My brother will not shut up about boarderlands 2. How long has it been out? Still can't stop talking about it.

2875278 Since 2011-2012 I think. It's a pretty fun game. But Handsome Jack's orbital H shaped station is in the Lagrange point between the moon and Pandora.

Borderlands two was one of few games to get a legit reaction out of me: I cried"Noooooooo!" when Bloodwing died.
More on topic the Borderlands' Pandora has some pretty creative -and insperational- alien types.
Also, see the Metroid universe for some particularly disturbing character designs.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Eh heh heh...

Ahhhh...

ok so I've opted to go ahead and try my hand at this with a short story[possibly a fairly longish oneshot to start with] but therein comes some issues.

The cahracters I want to use are OCs of mine that got their debut in the Chessgame of the Gods universe and, thus, need to be altered to suitably fit the ItB canon. I expect fairly large changes overall, especially with Delera[because it turns out due to the rules of magic in the ItBverse, a non-malicious lich is nearly impossible without breaking the willing suspension of disbelief]

However, if you're wiling, I can kick off with an OC of mine who may be handy for a new neutral alien race for the setting.

Ladies and gentlemen meet Titanna [she's the red one]
likely NSFW image

Otherwise known as 'The giant alien catgirl spacewhale thing'. ....I usually just go with Kaiju for obvious reasons.

Titanna is a tad large for her race, standing about 425 feet tall and weighing in at 65,000 tons. She doesn't need to breath nromally, istead using her male akin to a alrge set of gils for gathering air. She can alter matter via chemical reaction to get the oxygen and hydrogen she needs to survive, and maily consumes solar energy or hydrogen for fuel[though she does need to consume other nutrients]. She's a True Onmivore, i.e. can eat ltierally anything for nutrients. including comets.

Most of these creatures are spacebound, usually using small asteroids or, rarely, planetoids for extended hybernation, while their broad, thin fins allow them to 'swim' the solar winds of space. Titanna had the bad luck to wind up crash-landing on Avol, whose gravity is toos trong for her immense weight to escape back into space. thankfully she lives in deeper waters which cans till support her extreme weight.

Any commentary or suggestions/ideas?

Journeyman
Group Contributor

non-malicious lich

Not entirely. Normally when, in many high magic settings, when a sorcerer of some kind, usually a paladin, forsakes his nature and does something not natural, their powers are reduced or taken from them. Their powers are really sucked right out of them. It is a possibility, depending on what you're intending to do.

As for Titanna... I got nothin'.

3684278 Shirotora stated to me outright that Lichs HAVE to feed off of life force from others ina likely lethal manner, which makes a Lich who's goal is to PREVENT such things an idiosyncrasy and, generally, a tad backwards, hence why Delera d'Jorasco [if you're a D&D fan you can probably catch the reference off the bat] would need alterign from her Chessverse version for the ItB-verse due to the differences on how ich's are made and kpt alive[n the chessverse the Lich uses their own soul to make a phylachtery and feed off of magic in general, instead of SPECIFICALLY life-force, hence why most non-evil ones tend to live in 'Wild Zones' like StormReach or the everfree Forest, due to all of the wild magic in abundance]

As for Titanna...well nothing is better than what I usually get with her so I'm thankful for that much at least.

Journeyman
Group Contributor

A lich in its basic form is an undead sorcerer in some regard. This is all well and good, but magic is a fickle mistress. As I said, it is still possible in some regard, depending on what you are trying to do. Ripping magic from others was already canon before Tirek, and after guarantees it. A lich could very well have his or her powers literally ripped from them altogether. In D&D, this happening to paladins either neuters them or turns them into dark paladins. Your guy would indeed have been a lich, but if his powers were stolen or blocked, he'd be something else.

It could be a good form of drama where a former lich is in a tight spot and needs his powers in order to protect those around him, at the price of what regaining those powers entails.

Hell, Tirek could still be farting around somewhere. Maybe your guy has him as a patron and threatens to hang Damocles over his head because of that.

3685240 actually Delera[the lich in question] is already a lich and over a millenium old, but she BECAME a lich in attempting to use and master necromancy for the sake of improving early medicine[in the chessverse, a separate universe, she MADE Necromancy as a form of rapid combat triage that wound up being abused for nefarious purposes, resulting in its taboo reputation, btu thats neither here nor there]:pinkiehappy:

Specifically, she IS a lich[or,r ather, a lich-like entity] right now and has such powers, but she uses them for the benefit of others trather than 'RAWR I AM EEEEVIIILLLL!!!':rainbowwild:

That's where the issue winds up getting muddled.

Then again that's jsut one of nearly a dozen cahracters that'll be showing up in my own story should I be given the green light to join the team[I plan the first fic 'The battle of StormReach', to be set during the war on Avol and follow the major heroes of the titular island city during their own hellish brawl with the Dratali invasion. nd I plan on having it work in-tune with music, as that's the easiest way for me to write stories so, yeah.]

On a side note, is there a IRC channel or something for rapid discussion???

Journeyman
Group Contributor

I've established a gDoc hub and a timeline so synchronize everything, so we can have an accurate reference for events and a shared knowledge. I can't give you that until I've confirmed you've officially joined, however. I'll need word from shirotora.

3685932 I need word from him as well. I'm working out the kinks for a few things though that still leaves issues with Salindra Darkveil and Delera d'Jorasco, as well as Kngihtmare's bardic magic and whether or not Titanna 'works' for the setting.

Still, better tog et this stuff refined than fdive in assuming it'll be easy. i've been in enough colabs to know that it's NEVER easy.

Also, 9 times out of ten, I'll respond fairly quickly, hence askign fi there was a IRC

Journeyman
Group Contributor

We don't have one, as we've all got jobs in addition to real life crap. Me especially; I have no idea when I'm going to be on next. I'm actually pretending to take notes at this moment. There is Skype but even then, getting us when we're actually on is a shot in the dark.

3687839 True. I gues sI should dust off my old skype account.

I just sent Shirotora the full plotline for the first story, would you care to take a look at it yourself?

Journeyman
Group Contributor

Sure. PM me whatever you've got. The more detailed, the better.

3694107 I just sent you the original quote of the plotline. Please ignore the misspellings, it was written while I was half-asleep. :ajsleepy: And, likewise, several days ago.

Also it seems msot of the real serious issues with the characters ahve been worked out.

• Viewing 151 - 200 of 176