Technology VS. Magic 2,666 members · 784 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

Am kinda lost given there so many thing mix on this i mean look at movie half of them are like flying super fast like fighter jets and all that and the other half is like a two submarines fighting each other trying to get the best positioning to hit the weak points of the other ships

They're movies, so the rules are fast and loose.

It makes for better action, after all.

jxj

Definitely not planes. I haven't seen the sub style (do you mean capital ship stuff?). I want to say no, but I haven't actually seen any examples so I can't really say (it's probably closer than planes. The big thing is that there is no drag in space so you don't slow down unless you use your engines. As an example, if your in a ship and pull up, you don't stop moving forward like you do in atmosphere. You need to use thrusters to kill your forward momentum as you pull up.

nice video, but he got one things wrong about guns they would still work in space

Space Combat in The Expanse

where that game been all my life it sounds awesome and sounds about right

sub style where back then before mankind gone to space it was theories that we would use sub like things to send a man into space

jxj

Huh, I've never seen that before. The closest I've seen is covenant ships in Halo. They put the bridge in the middle of the ship and rely exclusively on sensors and cameras

our real-life space station kind are subs if you think about it

An Overview of the The Expanse | Overview Pilot

It's a show called The Expanse.

The Expanse: MCRN Donnager Class Battleship - Spacedock

jxj

I don't really see it

Not really. Due to water pressure and resistance to movement, submarines have to be very compact and streamlined. Satellites, on the other hand, face little to no pressure or resistance when orbiting the Earth, and therefore can have many various components sticking out at seemingly random angles. Take, for example, the International Space Station. Its design is meant to be highly modular and has multiple separate compartments that have been added on over the years. If you were to take it underwater, it'd likely implode at the pressures that submarines must endure, or at least have all of its extremities crushed by the surrounding water.

Therefore, "flying" in space is not at all like submarine travel in any way, shape, or form.

Secondly, as mentioned above, rockets and atmospheric jets propel themselves in radically different ways. Jets push themselves forward using the air that surrounds them, while rockets must move by expelling an exhaust created by burning their limited fuel. Once again, the fact that airplanes must endure air resistance compared to the very little resistance that satellites and space stations endure means that they must be specially designed to withstand such resistance, leading once again to a streamlined body structure often modeled after birds. True, the famed Space Shuttle that NASA used over the years is shaped like a plane, but that's because it glides back down to the ground like one when it returns to Earth. Otherwise, space-faring vehicles do not need any specific design to withstand very much outside of zero-gravity and the vacuum of space, as well as high and low temperature fluctuations caused by their orbital paths.

good point but what i mean kinda look like them is that they have to keep air in at all cost.

but a deep space ship would be more like a submarine given they would have to be micro-farms on the go to grow food and other things they would do in space

Eagle
Group Admin

Well there's a reason all the astronauts are pilots rather than sailors.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13