Technology VS. Magic 2,666 members · 784 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

If you have seen the Back To The Future movies or the double dragon movie you know what am talking about.

Wood gas is almost like that but not in the way just tossing any random junk to can fuel your car.

Can it be done at all or just some sci-fi stuff there?

Yes, it is indeed possible, but only if the garbage is organic. Biofuel can be created out of leftover fry oil from fast food restaurants.

just organic man it would be cool just going down the street or wasteland go into a dumpster and just use all of it as fuel

You just have to know how to convert it into fuel.

We had these things during WW2 called 'generator-gas' engines here in Sweden. ('Wood gas' according to English Wikipedia.) Letting stuff like cars, and even tractors and such run on wood or coal.

Teeny, tiny problem: There's a hair-fine line between getting that gas mix safely, and basically sitting on top of a carbon-monoxide all-you-can-breathe buffet. A lot of people died thanks to them.

You can still import 'em, and hear about people using them every now and then, though. They're very practical in extremely isolated slash rural areas, since you can just keep a slightly larger stack of the same fire-wood you warm your home with.

So technically there's a chance somebody could reintroduce the tech and make it safer and more efficient, but... well, if you pardon the expression, wouldn't hold my breath for it.

after looking up google (and other sites like it) I found something close to it the Stirling engine.

just put anything in it as long it burns

The Stirling engine is very inefficient, however. While it can accelerate to high speeds, it has such low torque that it is essentially pointless to use outside of entertainment purposes and proof-of-concept demonstrations.

The Sterling Engine also has the problem of being extremely complex, and one of the most maintenance hungry bits of gear out there.

So not only will it cost you a lot just to buy, but keeping it running is quite the drain as well.

They are beautiful bits of engineering, though.

I think the low torque problem can be fixed with hybrid car technology. I think with the right amount of money and more designers on it it could work well, but the truth is like Elon Musk of the hyperloop there already tech that is cheaper and just as good to use.

That is true the Sterling Engine is indeed Extremely Complex and Maintenance, when it broke down, is going to be a bicth to fix But the last time i look if build right you can go on for a good 3 or 4 years or so without bringing it into a car shop to fix

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9