World War Bronies 734 members · 129 stories
Comments ( 27 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 27
Eagle
Group Admin

Over 90 years ago today, WW1 began with Austria-Hungary declaring war on Serbia. This would begin the Great War which led to WW2. What do you think would have happened if this didn't occur?

Poodicus
Group Admin

Quite honestly, had the Archduke Ferdinand not been killed a month earlier, I think it would have happened at a later date, as tensions back then were were quite high. It was only a matter of time of when he was going to be killed.

A war in Europe would have happened eventually. Probibally not for the same reason but a war would have happened sooner or later

As everyone else has said, war was inevitable. You only have to look at the arms race between Britain and Germany to see that. Killing the arch duke just gave everyone an excuse to start it all off.

Eagle
Group Admin

1380207 1380210
What would have happened in that war, you think? Would it be between the same alliances? What could cause it? (This 'what if' stuff is great for ideas, BTW)

the British and French would probibally still be allies I guess:unsuresweetie:

Maybe the Russian Empire are In the midst of civil unrest so they don't get involved

Eagle
Group Admin

I think the Russian Empire would have fallen into revolt. WW1 just escalated it.

Eagle
Group Admin
Eagle
Group Admin
Eagle
Group Admin

You shure? It's appearing on mine.

Not on mine.

just send me a link

Eagle
Group Admin

Screw it, i'll just post another one.

Eagle
Group Admin

Teaching to fish.

Poodicus
Group Admin

1380281>>1380367

Hey, maybe they had shitty economical ideas, but if it wasn't for the revolution, we wouldn't have had such great music come out. :pinkiehappy:

Eagle
Group Admin

Go Red Army Choir!

I may not support communism or the now nonexistent Soviet Union but their music...:rainbowkiss:
AWESOME

:yay:Katusha and The Sacred War are awesome.... but no Farewell of Slavankia:fluttercry:

Russians singing a British song about Ireland. Isn't the most bizarre thing I've seen... This pony however...

Terrible color choice but at least it isn't black and red

I'm with the majority, here: The war would've just happened later.

As for the Alliances, I could foresee some changes, but they would largely have remained consistent:

-Russia had ambitions to create a Pan-Slavic empire. This would come at the expense of Austria-Hungry. They could never be friends.
-Germany liked being the most powerful nation on the continent, and only one power stood to threaten this: Russia. Alliances with Austria and Turkey were essential to keeping the bear caged.
--Germany also liked the idea of an Empire of their own, skirting the pesky Royal Navy by making it a rail-connected one. The "Berlin-to-Baghdad" railroad would have closed relations between the two even tighter (something the Ottomans needed, with Russia and Britain both looking to expand at their expense).
-Germany had taken a lot of French territory. France wanted it back. They, too, could never be friends.

The only major toss-up is Britain. With ambitions in the Middle East and worry over Germany's rising political/naval strength, them throwing in with the Allies made a lot of sense. But:

-Britain had strong interest in a caged Russia, lest they threaten India or gobble up the Middle East.
-Despite a new rivalry with Germany, there was centuries of bad blood between Britain and France.
-Irish revolts in the near future may have averted British entry as they focus on problems closer to home.

I doubt Britain would have ever entered the war on Germany's side, but their neutrality would certainly have been a possibility. Like anything else, the exact circumstances would have determined by the way events unfolded.

(God I love alternate history)

WWI, would likely start by France invading Germany.

Austro-Hungarian Empire comes along. Russia would invade both of them for land.

I am not sure about the UK though. They most likely might help Germany by fighting France.
Because of Bad blood between France and Britain. Britain have a decent relation with Germany, despite being rivals, and they also liked having a union Hannover which is in modern day Germany (they just labeled Germany their modern day Hannover friend or something). And Britain and France would never learn to get along.

Eagle
Group Admin

Ponies+Communism=?

Eagle
Group Admin

Alternate history is awesome.

I don't think Russia would succeed because the revolution would still happen.
I don't think Germany would be able to defeat the RN.
I do think Germany could beat France in a ground war, barely.

Poodicus
Group Admin

Sorry, forgot to include that one.
Here you go.

dragonfang33
Group Admin

It only would've forestalled the war, Austria-Hungary and Russia were politcally unstable and each was a major power in both the Triple Entante and the Central Powers, as we saw in 1917 the collapse of one threw the balance of power into chaos. The one most likely to collapse with or without war was Russia given the Romanov Dynasty's dictatorial actions and refusal to introduce much needed reforms.

As the history of the first French Revolution showed the likely result would've been Russia trying to spread the Revolution to the rest of Europe which in turn would've provoked the retaliation of Germany, France, Britain, Italy and Austria to both contain and destroy the Revolution and restore the Romanovs to power simalar to how the First French Republic and later Napoleon tried to spread their revolution to the rest of Europe and how the rest of Europe united to both destroy the Revolution and restore the Bourbon Dynasty and the result would've still been the Great War

Eagle
Group Admin

Makes sense.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 27