World War Bronies 734 members · 129 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

I mean, I can't be the only one who thinks they were all gun and little else

5420388 I look at the Cromwell and think, 'Who the fuck designed this thing!?'

Tanks
All the tanks they had during ww2, the Crusader was their best one and it was used in Africa.

And in all honestly, why work on tanks when they had the sea and air to worry about the most?

5420367 I honestly don't know much, please give some examples.

5420416 The British did better at sea and in the air than on the ground in my opinion. Though, they had good AT guns(yet horrible rocket launchers) with meh infantry weapons.

5420430 Cromwell MK1. Flat and somewhat thin armor, decent 40(Or 57)mm gun, tightly packed 4 man crew (If I'm correct)

5420367 you have a very unpopular opinion, the British tanks outdid the Germans in the African campaign

The Matilda was a great tank, but was not used correctly against the Germans at the beginning of the war just like many of the French Tanks

They weren't all that bad. but I guess we'll never know what would happen if a large group of British tanks faced a few german Heavy tanks in France, cause the allied supreme commander and the other high ranking generals decided that the Shermans would take the lead.

I remember reading a book that mentioned a military dispatch noting that the early British Valentine models were about as resilient as "a crusty loaf of bread" or something similar...
But other than that I can't speak much on the topic. It's alright, the Soviets did most of the heavy lifting anyway as far as crushing German armored superiority.

Spotted the War Thunder and/or World of Tanks player.

Buy a couple books on the subject.
In the real world, tanks/weapons aren't 'balanced' per nation.

Anyone with even a bit of knowledge on the topic would never, ever, say "The British did better at sea and in the air than on the ground in my opinion. Though, they had good AT guns(yet horrible rocket launchers) with meh infantry weapons."

I'm pretty sure the crusty loaf of bread comment was them saying that it was very resilient, because some varieties of bread can be used as clubs when they go stale.

5423271 Could be. I thought it was negative but I haven't actusly read the book in years, so I very well could be mistaken.

5420367 British tanks were fairly unique due to Britain's system of two tank types: the infantry tank and the cruiser tank. Infantry tanks such as Valentines, Matildas, and Churchills were slow but very well armoured. They were designed to support infantry, and thus be at the front lines, which is why speed was not much of a concern and they were so heavily armoured-as they would be taking the brunt of the fire.

Cruiser tanks were designed for speed as to exploit weak points in the enemy's line and attack flanks. Because of this cruiser tanks such as the Cruiser Series, Cromwell, and Comet all had fairly light armour, but were extremely fast and agile. Indeed the Cromwell was one of the fastest tanks of the era and required the engine to be speed governed, as it produced so much power that the suspension system couldn't handle the shock of such a high speed impact when going over rough terrain.

Overall this system of division was actually better than a lot of other doctrines and allowed a fairly good level of flexibility when a commander had access to both infantry and cruiser tanks, as for performance of the vehicles in combat: it varied. Britain had a lot of rather outdated tanks at the start, and ones more meant for colonial police work than national warfare (Like the Vickers Mark series light/medium tanks) and the early models almost all had poor guns. Likewise as the war progressed Britain had access to plenty of cheap M4 Shermans so British tanks played a less prominent roll.

However, British tanks were still upgraded and when improved armaments were added they often performed quite well. The Churchill heavy tanks, whilst slow, had superb cross country ability and rarely got bogged down, their armour could withstand heavy fire even without being sloped, and the upgraded 6 pounder (57mm) gun had a respectable penetration and did quite well in N. Africa against German Panzer 3s and 4s. Cromwells and Comets with their 75-77mm high velocity guns had fair accuracy, rate of fire, and good penetration and fit the role of a cruiser tank quite well with their agility and speed.

5423274 It was more a positive reference, as the Valentine was one of the most well armoured light tanks produced in WWII, and indeed the Valentine is largely considered one of the best tanks of its class (Light infantry tank).

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19