World War Bronies 734 members · 129 stories
Comments ( 19 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 19

What do you guys think would be the ten most unluckiest warships in naval history in both world wars?

For me...

10# It's a tie between...
HMS Hood

And Tirpitz

Due to both their lack of battle experience (not counting the crew by the way)

9# Has to be Juneau (the Atlanta-class cruiser)

I mean to get torpedoed during the night is one thing, but to also have five crew members that happened to be brothers die along with the ship just sounds embarrassing, doesn't it?

8# HMS Royal Oak

Not only was she one of the worst ships in the entire Royal Navy, she had been torpedoed at night, by a U-Boat, within the pair of the Royal Navy. That's just humiliating right there.

7# HMS Exeter

Fortunately she has the excuses of surviving Graf Spee at the River Plate.

6# IJN Fuso

To play no part in World War One is one thing, but to have hang about in reserve and then die in a horrific explosion in her only battle is just sad.

5# IJN Yudachi, her story is just embarrassing, she gets heavily damaged by USS Portland, and then gets sunk by what they thought was a friendly destroyer when it was an American destroyer.

4# USS Indianapolis

I'm sure you the horror her crew faced when she got sunk. But to have the captain found guilty in a court martial just really makes you think on who really should have been blamed for her sinking.

3# USS Arizona

She has the excuse of a legend when people christian ships with water.

2# Yamato... This giant basically played almost no part in WW2. And to have her die in a suicide mission is just one of the reasons many wonder what would happen if they sent her out against the US earlier.

1# William D. Porter You guys know this is the most unlucky ship in naval history. So I'm not going to say what happens to her.

I would say the HMS Indefatigable and the HMS Queen Mary being struck by shells that caused fires to burn into their magazines through open door at the Battle of Jutland is pretty unlucky. As Admiral Beatty said, there was something wrong with their "bloody ships" that day.

HMS Indefatigable

HMS Queen Mary

You also missed that the Destroyer that picked up the surviving crew of Fuso was then torpedoed and blew in half leaving only 10 of the Fuso's alive...

Also i think the H.M.S Curacoa should be on this list. She got Sliced in half by the R.M.S Queen Mary.

5324396 Ah yes, I remember that.

5324491 Oh yeah, I remember.

The Asagumo. She was hit by a torpedo fired from USS McDermut and ripped apart by some of the cruisers and destroyers in Oldendorf's "firing squad".

As far as unlucky ships go. you can't beat HMS Thetis:

One of the few submarines in the world to have been lost more than once, Thetis was fifth vessel of Britain's T-class submarines. On June 1st, 1939, while performing a test dive in Liverpool Bay, Thetis sank after her crew accidentally opened one of her inner torpedo tube doors while the outer door was still opened, sending a flood of water surging in. Despite rescue efforts, 99 of the 103 officers, sailors, civilian shipyard workers, and naval observers on board died after suffocating on a massive buildup of carbon dioxide. Only four survived by swimming out of the submarine's aft escape hatch. After being salvaged and repaired, Thetis was recommissioned in 1940 as HMS Thunderbolt and served mostly in the Mediterranean. On March 14, 1943, Thunderbolt was sunk by the Italian corvette Cicogna. This time, she was lost for good, along with all 59 of her crew.

Here's a documentary about Thetis I found on Youtube:

5324637 That sounds tragic. :rainbowderp:

Yes it was. The incompetence the Royal Navy showed was almost hair pulling.

5325028 I can definitely see why.

5325069 That is a good question.

The Scharnhorst's entire history was one of shame. It was one of the infamous London Naval treaty creations which sought to limit the power of warships resulting in awful battleships being produced on both the British and German side of the war. She launched herself in the middle of the night damaging two barges, ran over another submarine during Wesurubung, accidentally gassed 8 members of it's own crew during the Poland invasion, crippled the Luxury Liner Bremen and left it for dead, and her only notable kill (HMS Glorious) was accomplished under overwhelmingly favorable circumstances. Even so, she still took heavy damage from a torpedo.

At least she had the dignity of going out like a boss during the battle of North Cape having sustained multiple hits from torpedoes and shells before turning over on her side in a fiery apocalypse.

5325621 Ah, yes, I remember, the Type VII U-Boats were much more successful than the Scharnhorst.

Comment posted by dragonfang33 deleted Jun 30th, 2016
dragonfang33
Group Admin

I can add to that list

USS Tang: How unlucky do you have to be to be sunk not by enemy fire, or friendly fire...but by your own torpedoes

The Proteus Class Colliers (USS Proteus, USS Nereus, USS Cyclops and USS Jupiter/Langly): All four were lost (with Cyclops, Nereus and Proteus disappearing in the same area on the exact same route) with all hands or a staggering death toll and in the case of USS Langely most of her crew were killed when the rescue ships Edsell and Pecos were sunk while transporting them to safety

+t6
USS Nereus

USS Proteus

USS Cyclops

USS Jupiter/Langley

5327593 I know Submarines are sometimes unlucky, but I never heard of a sub being that unlucky.

dragonfang33
Group Admin

Sad when you realize the Tang was the most successful submarine in the US Navy during World War II

5327783 True, she did aid in the rescue of Enterprise Fighter pilot Bob Kansy (if that's how you spell his name) from enemy waters.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 19