Life in Manehattan 362 members · 19 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

I know some people avoid the previews, so I'll spoiler tag this statement: The upcoming episode is apparently about changelings. This has the potential to change some major dynamics in what we know.

I have always tried to keep the Manehattanverse near canon: Show canon comes around third in order of primacy, after "things that are implied by the universe concept" and "things that were established in the Manehattanverse before canon was established in contradiction". However, it occurs to me now that we don't need to just wait around and see what happens.

What I want to suggest is simple. We can each put forth our own headcanon on the subject, and anyone can vote on it. Whatever people agree on most, that will be canon in the Manehattanverse, even if the episode contradicts it before anyone writes anything about it. I'll name a subject each week pertaining to the upcoming episode. So, does anyone have a headcanon to share about changelings?

My mind's eye sees the following possibility: That there ARE different types of Changelings out there. No "hive mind" nonsense here. Just like any other sentient race, they have their good eggs and their bad apples. Sure, Chrysalis (and those who serve under her) ARE evil, but they don't represent the entirety or even the majority of Changelings. Yes, Changelings get discriminated against a lot due to the "feeding off love" thing, but there are some Changelings that are content to live quiet lives around nice neighborhoods where they can get all the love they need to survive comfortably without having to hurt anyone at all. In fact, some Changelings even do a lot of good deeds because they know they can get a lot more love by earning it than by trying to trick others.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

5429340 I rather like this idea. Don't make them a monolithic blob. Some can be good, some evil.

Skyeheart
Group Contributor

Let's extend a bit upon this. There are different breeds of changelings evolved to their habitat and surroundings(beetle, ant, dragonfly, etc. Like the pony tribes). Hive mind is not a form of dominance, but communication, like telepathy(There are two types, centralized around an elder or queen, or decentralized in a swarm to swarm system. Both require two-way consent of the sender and receiver to establish a link, like networking).

5429966 Indeed so. :-D

5430042 Yeah. I DO like that expansion. Thanks very much. :-D

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

5430042 It would make sense for any hive mind not to be on all the time, yeah. In Canterlot Wedding, we see the changelings get fooled more than once by the Mane Six. If it was on all the time, that probably wouldn't have happened.

Goldenheart
Group Contributor

I see changelings like I do as insects with a hive mind, but when it comes to ones with individuality they feel lost and confused without their own kind to look out for, and in turn may develop their own identity.

Haven't seen the episode yet, won't until tonight due to work, but I'm guessing we can call it a cutoff. It seems like the new Manehattanverse canon will be Comickook and Skyeheart's joint proposal.

Alright, an update: Instead of making a new thread for each episode, this will be the thread from now on for new episode proposals. I was going to wait until next season to do that, but I don't want to keep flooding the forum. This post is also the last time I'll tag spoilers in this thread, because after this one, you should know what you're getting into if you read on.

When falling behind on her friendship lessons, Starlight Glimmer attempts to do several lessons at once.

The subject this time is: Education. What's your take on education in the Manehattanverse?

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

5497210 I'd have to say they've probably got different levels, at least, all the way up to university/college.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11