Interspecies Romance 647 members · 683 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8
mrk
Group Admin

I made that group with the idea of making a simple list of non-clop, non-sexual romance stories about characters of differing species, and I figured other people could add to it without problems.

It didn't police itself like I thought it would, and efforts to get moderation have failed. Let's break it down:

Fics Classified Mature or Having Sex Tag
5/28 - Changeling/Pony
1/1 - Changeling/Timberwolf
0/1 - Donkey/Pony
11/39 - Dragon/Pony
4/7 - Griffin/Pony
0/1 - Griffin/Zebra
8/39 - Main
6/12 - Multiple Interspecies Pairings
1/3 - Transformative Interspecies Pairings

Totals:
At least 36 out of 131 fics are in violation of the rules, over a fourth of them.

I say 'at least' because of a previous failed attempt to read all the fics and personally approve or discard them according to the rules. I found several posted fics that contained what I'm going to call 'sailor-tier' levels of innuendo and implied sex, among other things that I wouldn't consider suitable for 'fillies and colts of all ages' as the rules require.

I mean come on! What part of "this group only allows fics about or containing Romance, NOT sex" is complicated? There's already a group for interspecies clop and sex-specific romance stories that I linked to on the homepage! It's called Crossbreed My Heart. See? It even has a sexual reference right there in the name.

In many ways, this is my fault. I didn't expect the popularity to increase so fast that there was no time to manage, let alone read, all the submissions. Before I knew about permissions and limiting folders, a bunch of people had joined and started posting stuff. It wouldn't be nice to ban people because of my lack of knowledge.

My few actual attempts at moderation have been met with verbal abuse and attempted character assassination over the (frankly absurd) idea that I have an opinion on my group's submission policy. At this point, I think I'm scheduled for public execution because I don't share the exact same world-view as my critics. They don't know what my world-view actually is, because I didn't tell them, but it's apparently different enough to make the assumption I'm completely evil. (What has happened to the internet in the last five years, srsly?! :rainbowhuh:)

I've already tried getting additional moderators. I appreciate their response, I really do. However, I haven't heard from them since I told them to start reading fics and report to me what they find.

At this point, I see three possible ends. I leave the choice up to a vote. If no-one votes, I'll assume no-one cares and pick the last solution.

1. Give the group to someone else to manage and take responsibility
2. I personally leave the group, the group stays open, but unmanaged
3. Delete the group

Voting ends on April 29th, two weeks from now.

For those of you following the rules, I have failed you, and I'm sorry. You don't deserve to have to hear this from me. You've done nothing wrong, and I'm sure your stories are lovely. I've probably read more than a few of them. Good job, keep up the good work! I'm just sorry I started something I couldn't handle. :fluttercry:

To the casual group members, sorry about all this. I bet you just wanted a simple group that categorized stories in a helpful way, like I did when I started this thing. If you're still interested in seeing that, you can view my favorites. They aren't all interspecies romance, but many are. :pinkiesad2:

For my critics... Sorry I guess. I don't know why you hate me so much. If you were hoping for a fight, I just don't have that kind of energy or time. Go fly a kite with your BBBFF or something, work off some steam. People will still have different opinions than you when you get back. :ajbemused:

AgentSnail
Group Admin

Just stick it out. You're here to administer the rules, not be everyone's friend. If it wasn't prominently in the rules then they might have a reason to get angry, but seeing as it was...

I suggest you take no prisoners. Just to make sure my vote is clear, I take the fourth option of having you keep it.

Also, if you get no further response from your mods, I can donate a little time here and there. I moderate a couple groups already, so I'm not new to this annoying stuff.

mrk
Group Admin

I appreciate the vote of confidence, but I AM leaving this group, one way or another.

You are welcome to be the new admin, if you like.

AgentSnail
Group Admin

I would definitely be fine with becoming the new admin.

I'm not sure why you're so bent on leaving, but I'll be sure to try and hold this group together in your absence.

This makes me sad. I precisly joined this group because Crossbreed my heart recomended those who want stories without sex here, and then i see this!:fluttercry:
I'm just thinking that it's so sad that there is no option where you can stay a sthe admin in this group, and feel yourself forced to leave YOUR group that you started!:applecry:

You are going to be met with opposition when you are the leader of a group.
You are the head hancho around here, and you must enforce your rules here without mercy.
If the opposition can form an alternative that enables their fics to be posted to this group, fine.
But you must be merciless when enforcing the group. No exceptions.

mrk
Group Admin

3204364 two reasons.
1. I have already over extended myself and have other projects I've been neglecting. I don't have time to manage this group, and the negative feedback (not from you guys, but from others) certainly does not encourage me to spend more time here. This isn't the first time I've had bad, accusatory interactions with fandoms. The negative voices are many, relentless, and cruel.

2. I personally do not want my name attached to the ownership of a group that has a bunch of sexual content. Despite my intentions, this group has a lot of mature stories in it, and I don't want to be associated with that kind of thing.

The fact is, even if I outright ban all the mature and sex-tagged stories, I know there are still VERY questionable stories listed, and there is not enough time to review them all.

If you guys really, really want me to stay, I'd have to do something drastic. Like only allow posting of stories that were individually and completely reviewed first, and fiction additions would be exceedingly slow. That would mean banning 80% of the fics outright and slowly add them back in as they could be approved.

mrk
Group Admin

Okay then! AgentSnail will be promoted to admin and will formally take on this group, and its mission, should he choose to keep it the same. I will stick around for a few days to make sure the transition is complete.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8