Equestria Divided 707 members · 52 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

:rainbowkiss: "Prince Rutherford! All the way from Yakyakistan! What do I owe your awesome presence?"

"Stormwing Commander is flattering, but will not distract yaks from original mission."

:rainbowlaugh: "Yeah, yeah, never really cared much for formalities anyways, Bro. Although...I wouldn't mind you talkin' a little bit about how awesome I am..."

"Yaks will do no such thing!"

:rainbowhuh: "Woah, Pal! Maybe this isn't how things go down in Yakyakistan, but diplomacy is a give-and-take process here in Equestria! I say something nice, then you say something nice, got it?"

"Stormwing Commander will have to do without complements from yaks until business is complete!"

:rainbowdetermined2: "Fine, fine. I don't need your praise anyways. I take it Yakyakistan is willing to supply troops to Stormwing as I suggested? You guys would be great against the buffalo!"

"Stormwing commander is correct! Yaks...not smash."

:rainbowderp: "How...uh, kind of you."

"Every yak will be equipped with standard yakkish equipment."

View on Derpibooru - Original source

:rainbowderp: "What am I looking at here?"

"Latest in yak battle equipment."

:rainbowlaugh: "How do you aim it? And there's only enough ammo for like, one or two volleys? Have...have you even tested this thing?"

"Yak weaponry don't need testing. Yak weaponry only need more dakka, so yak weaponry will be perfect."

:rainbowhuh: "I don't speak yakish."

"Dakka not yakish! Dakka is dakka!"

:rainbowderp: "...Dakka?"

"Dakka. Dakka is sound like gun. 'Dakkadakkadakkadakka!' Like that. More dakka, better yak!"

:rainbowderp: "..."

"..."

:rainbowderp: "Tell me more..."

That sounds about right.

Something similar occurred to me as well. There's a series of crossover fics called "Iron Hearts" by SFAccountant, and there's a group dedicated to it. I made a thread predicting that the pirate orks that had scattered across the continent would team up with the yaks, whether the yaks liked it or not.

http://www.fimfiction.net/group/208583/age-of-iron/thread/214279/orks-beyond-equestria-and-one-off-race-gets-unexpected-relevance

When I saw this come up in my feed, I mistook which group this thread was posting under, and my first reactions was "Who the frack is copying my topic!?!" Ahehehe... Heh....

Just try to tell me this isn't how a conversation with orks would go (minus the blood and guts for a TV-Y show).

... and here i thought nobody could improve on Hogz. Still feels more 40k than fantasy though.

5003279 I had once the idea of Yaks in a hypotheoretical Equestria Divided Total War Game. In late game they come smashing from the north utilizing troops that trash your freshly conquered map and you have to throw them back and seal the way to the north. I initally wanted to give that role to the gryffons but giving the feathered cats as Stormwing auxilaries was a better idea...

Yeah! The Hogz! I saw Sanity-X's crossover art.

View on Derpibooru - Original source
I guess the question is: if Equestria is going full Warhammer/Warhammer40k, would the yaks actually make a good ork analogue, or (like Sanity-X proposed) be represented by a new Equestrian stand-in? Yaks smash things (which is kinda orkish), but they smash things because they're imperfect (which is kinda...not orkish).

I say we just roll with the inconsistency and make yaks sorta-but-not-quite Equestria's orkish analogue, but what do y'all think?

That'd be kinda fun, having to repel an NPC faction as a map "boss."

5004024 That's the idea. Eather that or limit the player by, I dunno - make the map partally unconquerable!

5004024 You know what, I'm a lot happier using Yaks as Orcs than creating a brand new race of boars to do the job. So, I favor this usage :)

Additionally, after the griffon's sudden-but-inevitable-betrayal of Stormwing, Stormwing might need another Northern race to ally with and fill the roles of keythongs, griffins, et. al. (Sorta like how Warcraft's Orcish Horde replaces ogres with tauren between WC2 and WC3.) Yakkish units would add a lot of fun color to Stormwing and distinguish their ground troops from the other factions.

5004983 I also wanted to give Strormwing gigant turtles ala. Tank for their ground regiments to use as walking shelds, weapon platforms and in other kinds of units.

5005324 Enigmatrix, romanticaveman, I and the guy with the spooky AB awatar are the grand theorists of the group. There's I think only 3 or 4 other people here with simlar complexity of ideas.

And I imagined rather something like this:

But with weather-themed weaponry and a saddle that looks more like Stormwing, less than Hogs. Come to think of it - Stormwing ground devisions of Earth Ponies would propably rely on those tortoise units who carry ala-gungan sheld generators and archer nests. And I would deploy those... Tanks by puting their squads (5 members) in clouds and you could make the cloud just randomly drop from the sky and dissapete with the drop leaving a ready unit. That could actually save ground Stormwing units from beeing forgoten as a combat option.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13