Authors Helping Authors 2,464 members · 8,633 stories
Comments ( 13 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 13

Well, the title is self explanatory, but I figured perhaps this can be a multipurpose thread.

Reviewers, editors, pre-readers, proofreaders, and so on, are quite important in the building process of a story. It makes sure it's as polished as it can be come publishing time, and it also gets a little attention for your story as well as the incredibly helpful feedback to help make it better. These are also things that are frankly hard to come by without putting in some elbow grease.

So let's make that process a smidgen easier with this thread. I'm starting it cuz I sure could use this handy-dandy stuff for my story, but I sure hope all of you might find it useful too!

Anywho, here's my actual post:

---

Story: The Price of Loyalty

Help Requested: Editors, Reviewers, and Pre-readers

Side Notes and Comments: This is a fairly large story that's still a work in progress. It's only a prologue and 2 chapters in bit it's currently at 40,000 words, and I publish 10,000-20,000 word chapters. It's substantial and ambitious, but it's one that I've been trying to work on alone, so I didn't have any editors (my grammar really needs work), pre-readers (I perhaps missed a lot of things like sentence splicing or inconsistencies I haven't noticed in the first few passes before I published), and professional reviews. I'm not exactly sure what's really my strong points in this story, what my weak points are, or what specifically I need to improve in the story, since I've been writing without much guidance. Not to mention I could seriously use help with my description, something I've been having a bit of a war with. Any and all help I can get would be really appreciated.

I'd help ya, I honestly would, but I'm juggling too much crap as it is.:applejackunsure:

vren55
Group Admin

630309 OKAY I like the idea sir, but as admin and founder we respectfully request that such formal forum posts be directed to us first! Other than that continue on.

630336 Ah, well, sorry Vren. :twilightsheepish: Didn't think that far ahead when I decided to make this thread.

vren55
Group Admin

630341 It's alright :twilightsmile: just as admin and founder I always prefer a little advance warning. You may think me iron handed but I don't want the group to go the way TWE did... Shudders*.

I think you still had a great idea, one that we admins should have thought of :twilightsheepish:.

630382 Just trying to pull my weight around here is all. :twilightsmile: There's a great thing with this group, just wanna help however I can. Figured this thread would be just a small way to contribute I suppose. :twilightsheepish:

I'd be willing to do all three positions. My schedule is a bit cramped currently but I can still fit 10,000 words a day on there. And currently I can't PM, something about me crashing the browser. But give me a PM and I'll gladly read that story of yours!

Holy crap this is big. I've only read the prologue, but... I don't see any tremendous glaring grammar problems. I honestly can't commit to doing work on 10K chapters, but... I'll look back through the prologue and see if there's anything that jumps out on a second run-through.

Also, I like it. It's intriguing!

Inspiration struck me while in class and developed into this. I hope y'all like it. I've taken some wonderful advise from some of you that review one of my earlier works and tried to follow it here.
Kill What's Left of My Modesty

I would strongly suggest breaking it up into smaller chapters, a 24,000 word chapter is simply too much to ask for in an electronic format.

arandompenguin
Group Admin

People who write chapters that long usually have multiple proofreaders so that the work is more shared out. However, you might have to scout around a bit in order to find people willing to help out. I would recommend checking out this group, it has upwards of 100 proofreaders available for you to get on your story.

632451 I'm glad you think it's intriguing. :twilightsmile: But I think the bulk of my issues are in the first and second chapters. Also, yeah, my story is a bit long, but it's just how I formatted it with the Journal structure, so there's lots of details to cover, not to mention I just kinda wanted to make something substantial.

638799 Thanks for the link too by the way. I'll be sure to give it a look, but I doubt I'm gonna get much success. Apparently it's taboo to ask for help, cuz your story gets ignored almost automatically no matter how good it may or may not be, I noticed. :applejackunsure:

arandompenguin
Group Admin

653514 That thought came about from people just posting in their descriptions or whatnot, things like 'plz proofred my stry' and that, so it became synonymous with people with extremely poor grammar. However, going and finding a specific proofreader to fit your needs is not a problem. If you go through their doc system, each member has volunteered to be there and would be willing to proofread should you so ask. So, I wish you luck.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 13