Authors Helping Authors 2,464 members · 8,633 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18

There is a lot of good advises in here to writers of any kind of stories, and I will now share some good advices from one of the best story tellers out there, Pixar. Remember, you have to press the picture to make it bigger so you can read it :derpytongue2: And I am sorry if this are not fitting in here, I am just seeing a trend in sharing advises between us, and I can understand if this gets deleted

Number 7 is the one I always have the most trouble with. I'll get halfway through a story and realise I have no idea how this is going to end.

Number 19 - Deus ex Machina. Sloppy writing at its finest.

vren55
Group Admin

628029 Thanks! that's some really good advice!

Could that not be a reason to follow the "rule" then :derpytongue2: Because endings are hard, all knows that, so it is best to start with those

Welp, in that case I can feel proud, because I'm with dat points in almost 97%, only not with point 2. Sometimes I write Just Because I Can and For Total Lulz.:pinkiehappy:

Meh it is not something that I have made, but that does not hinder me in sharing it

628058 I've been trying to with my current round of fics. Still it can be hard habit to break - just jumping in.

That is a great list of advice thanks for sharing that! I think I might go use some of those tips right now. Thanks!:pinkiehappy::twilightsmile:

-Nexus

True that it is hard. But the first step is seeing that there is something to learn and be better at after all :pinkiehappy:

That's pretty good advice. Or, at least, it looks like good advice to me.

It is from Pixar, so totally wrong can it not be. And no one says that you have to follow all 22 things, but some of them is still good to have in the bag of your head when you begin to make a new story

Pixar?! Then it's not advice, its story writing scripture.

...With some interpretation.

As the picture says "PIXAR´s 22 rules of writing" so yea it is from the best of the best. Sorry MLP but that prize is not for you.

Whenever I get an idea for a story, its almost always a mid-way point or an ending. And usually it comes to me when I'm either falling asleep or waking up. (The times when you mind seems to wander the most due to it not being constrained by your own consciousness locking it down :twilightsmile: )

Try writing as rediculously dramatic a scene as you can, then find out what the buck could have happened to get those characters into that position~ It won't work all the time, but sometimes you can write some very nifty stuff.

And then, trying to build a background for this event, you find you have to give a background to that! And thus standalone stories using the same characters are born, and the readers are happy because you can keep a fairly stable world for them to enjoy active! :scootangel:

Well, I'm still in the middle of writing my pre-cursor... because I have my main story done, but it doesnt quite hit home yet as a standalone... and my pre-cursor story has no ending... so I might not be the best example to follow... :twilightblush: But hey, you never know what you can achieve until you take the plunge and jump out of your comfort zone~

628592 I've been doing better lately. I've written then ending scene for my current unfinshed story. Just have to get there from where I am now.

While these guidelines are certainly useful, I find this a pain to read. I'd recommend getting "On Writing" by Stephen King--great advice, entertaining read. And get yourself a copy of "The Elements of Style" by William E. Strunk while you're at it. Can't have too many books. :twilightsmile:

Whete did you find this? I need to find it again so I can keep it next to me when writing both my fanfics and my novel.

I saw it in here long long time ago on a persons blog, just use some google fu and write "pixar´s 22 rules of storytelling" and you can find this in a lot of layouts, also text so you can copy paste it into words and actually make it user friendly by printing it out :twilightsmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18