World-Building Alliance 2,164 members · 841 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

So since I want to write a story where the first chapter pretty much takes place in Weston Equestria, should I just use the normal type of English from the show or should I use a different type of English?

There are many types of English, you have your Irish English, you have your African-American slang English, you have your South African English formally spoken in South Africa, you have your British English, you have your creole English.

And you’ve got a bunch of other English dialects I can’t name.

A well-liked and fairly easy-to-write one is English spoken in a Scottish brogue.

How I can do that?

Western Equestria is based heavily off of the US western frontier, which was a highly diverse place and period. How exactly a person talks depends on their personal background.

Most of the settlers would've been farmers from the Midwest or deep south, but there were also plenty of people from anywhere else in the country, as well as lots of immigrants from other countries, not to mention all the natives.

So if you want to know how someone would talk, you should figure out their background first. The rest follows naturally from that.

I didn't even know that. Thank you for your help.

Is the deep south southern accent, the accent that Applejack speaks with?

AJ's accent is more Texan, though there were plenty of Texans roaming around the frontier as well. Texas and anything west of it are considered "Southwestern" states.

Deep South is a term typically used to describe four states in particular: Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. Florida isn't usually counted as Deep South, because it has a distinctly different culture from the other southern states. Any state south of the 38th parallel line is technically considered a "Southern" state, but only those four are Deep South. Though, sometimes Arkansas is also counted.

A Deep Southern accent has a significantly more pronounced drawl than a Southwestern accent. Here's an example of a Deep Southern accent:

I’m gonna watch the video later. I’m at work right now.

But thank you for your help and answers.

Do you write it phonetically, or just like we write AJ’s dialogue?

Probably like AJ's. If you're gonna write it out at all, that is.

Some people don't like reading written accents, and prefer to just have the writer say what their accent sounds like and then write the dialogue normally.

I understand what you mean.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11