World-Building Alliance 2,164 members · 841 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

Based on this video, how would one go about creating a fictional "proud warrior race" that could survive well into the future? The only known example of a warrior race in real-life are the Spartans, and their civilization only lasted over 300 years.

I've always loved the idea of a warrior race in fiction, so I'm eager to hear your thoughts and views on the subject of warrior races.

By making them incredibly powerful, but also making them relying on honor as part of their culture/social code.

This is what I've written about it in something I'm working on

The cultures and species that attempted to profligate such things either assimilated into greater cultures or were outright destroyed when the attempted to encroach upon the wider galaxy. One, as a citizen of the Conclave, is of course entitled to believe themselves and their species and ways superior and express such things (think how the yaks behave). But they are also warned that should they attempt to impose their ways on others unduly, there will be swift reprisal. Few have tested the Conclave, but unsurprisingly using a stellar lance to wipe out an entire systems worth of eager invading beavers that see any viable females as breeding stock and the rest as dinner that talks who in between busy days of being horrific sweat goblins have somehow had managed to achieve ftl does wonders to deter such attempts.

Of course many so called warrior cultures simply leave it out of practicality. Which is better, a rickety picket fence of elitist prigs you've spent years training that have all the ability to be an actual threat anything outside of their own terrified populace and other fat heads just as terribly maladjusted and inbred as them, or standing millions it took only a few weeks to train and are just as loyal due to the fact they have an actual vested interest in being so.

Well, being one of the people that listens to things like this. I say add a warrior culture that fits the scenario.

Ex: Royal guards as Spartans/Greek
Yaks as Vikings
Griffons as knights
Sea ponies as Altenines aka People of Alantas
And finally, zebras as the local people of Africa

The EU mandalorians actually made more sense. Their culture was based on adoption and anyone could be adopted into a clan, even into adulthood.

Distill what it means to be a "proud warrior race" into something that males for a civilization that's more than cannon fodder.

Klingons have engineers. They have accountants. They have lawyers, and dentists, and doctors, and everything else we do by all evidence. They certainly have politicians! And you damned well better believe that their non-combatants (a) know that they're just as, if not more, impkrtant than the troops and (b) are just as concerned about their personal honor and reputation. They still fight battles, but against different foes. Enemies who don't obligingly come out to fight you with a disruptor or bat'leth, but who have the weight of physical law, criminal cunning, or being microbial diseases on their side. You slew a hundred Romulans by pushing a button? How courageous. I saved a child from the jaws of death by ripping the cancer out of his frail body with my own scalpel today! You know. Something that doesn't involve telling a computer to do my killing for me.

The "proud warrior race" shouldn't be defined by being assholes who kill at the drop of a hat and only communicate through combat. They should be defined by pride, honor, and conflict - but what that means changes based on the situation.

Not that they won't abuse the heck out of their reputation when it serves them. if somebody is too foolish to realize what being a warrior really means, they deserve to get taken for a ride.

This is a complex and long topic, but the video does make a great point of specifying that "proud warrior races" basically have in built self destruct tendencies and their disdain for technological and scientific advancements dooms them to regressive tendencies.
The later, the lack of scientific and technological development is the more essential one. Without institutions and people who can discover, develop and implement advancements, a society, race or culture that can will eventually out fight them.
In order to prevent this, your "proud warrior race" has to have some system by which they can continue to study science and develop technology in order to continue to develop and be flexible enough to adapt and change to changes in warfare.
Most importantly they must be pragmatic enough to apply and deploy non-honorable methods of war in order to fight effectively and win.
As horrible as they are, the Nazis are the perfect example of a "proud warrior race" that could exist and continue for a long time.
The Nazis where a very proud group, who where also warmongers in the extreme, thus having the essence of the proud warrior race mentality. But they understood and relied heavily on technological development to enhance their war fighting capabilities.
Their society was also heavily unified under a dictatorial system with powerful institutions that allowed the regime to self-perpetuate, even with the loss of Hitler and would have eventually found a strong replacement.
Under the Nazis technological and scientific endeavors where not only encouraged, they where directed to warfare, thus always propelling the race forward, and they where enthusiastic about incorporating said new weapons and technology in their armies.
Their education system was top notch and continued to provide indoctrinated and proud followers who where also well educated and smart and could put that intelligence to terrible use.
The Japanese Empire is the same era is also a good example of there "proud warrior race" that could exist for a long time.
The Japanese culture is heavily influenced by war, conflict and honor.
But under the Meiji Restoration, they gained the missing piece, which was technological entrepreneurship.
The Imperial system offered the social control, while its introduction and heavy favor for advanced technology and industry quickly mixed with a strong warrior tradition, that was able to not only adapt, but embrace change in warfare and methods of warfare.
The Japanese themselves embraced technology, while retaining their culture, strengthening both and they expanded their educational capabilities significantly to grow indoctrinated individuals who where also highly intelligent and driven, to develop the technology base.
Terrible as these societies where, they showcase a path by which "proud warrior races" can transform from their feudalistic origins into powerful industrial and military powerhouses that can not only reach the stars, but last for a long time.

I'm not a Star Trek guy, so I'm not familiar with the Klingons.

You beautiful genius! A fictional example of an advanced warrior race that uses technological innovation is the Saiyans from "Dragon Ball". Despite them using mostly their Ki powers and physical abilities, they have scientists and engineers. If a Saiyan is born with a low enough power level, they are assigned jobs in science and engineering. That way, Saiyans have obtained more advanced technology than Earthlings.

This way, the Saiyans have survived for a decent chunk of time. That is, until Frieza, the tyrannical space racist, blew up their home planet.

The only known example of a warrior race in real-life are the Spartans, and their civilization only lasted over 300 years.

Going by the "tenets" of the proud warrior race as outlined by the video the Spartans weren't one as they fail to fulfill the third tenet. Out of the top of my mind three societies that satisfy their conditions would be the pagan viking raiders, the nomads of the steppes, and sengoku jidai samurai. The first were essentially 'defeated' through conversion to Christianity. The second were rendered irrelevant by technological advancements (the last independent steppe countries were subjugated by the Bolsheviks after the Revolution of 1917). The third tough...

Before getting to them I feel it's important to acknowledge that it is effectively impossible to imagine a 'successful' race or society that fulfills all of the video's tenets of what a proud warrior race is, because those requirements doom them to failure (tenets three and four are particularly punishing). The point of the video is that for a proud warrior race to succeeded in the long run they have to reform into a "Martial State".

Returning then to the samurai. After the sengoku jidai came the Edo period, a time characterized by internal peace and stability. It goes without saying that the samurai, a warrior class, found itself with little to do. The solution? Long story short and oversimplified: they became bureaucrats, and instead of abandoning their samurai codes of honour they doubled down and adopted the strictest reading of them possible (as a form of compensation, one could say). Turns out their honour code meant for military service also worked pretty well for the civil service. I mention this because it proves that the reading the video does of tenet n. 2 is wrong: it doesn't follow that a strict honour code means non directly military careers are looked down upon. It also shows that a proud warrior race is capable of adapting to changing circumstances without losing their status as a proud warrior race (although at this point it's already questionable whether Japan fulfills the requirements of the video, particularly tenet 3, but for the sake of argument let's say they still do).

The Edo period then ended abruptly with the Perry Expedition, when the doors of Japan were forcefully opened to the goods and interests of the western powers and the japanese suddenly realized they were extremely weak in a world of prey and predators. Up to this point their experience proves the video correct in pretty much all points, then came the Meiji restoration.

And here there are two possible ways of looking at things. The first is to say that it's possible to have a successful proud warrior race, and that the tenets given by the video are wrong, and take Imperial Japan post Meiji restoration as an example (one would then have to provide their own definition of what a proud warrior race is). The other is to say that the Meiji restoration was Japan's transition from a proud warrior race to a martial state, the video is right and proud warrior races are doomed to failure.

In the same fashion there are two general possible ways to answers the posed question:
1) The way the video defines a "proud warrior race" is wrong, x is what a proud warrior race actually is, this is how you could develop a successful fictional proud warrior race.
2) It's impossible to develop a successful proud warrior race. They only succeed in specific contexts and with enough time they'll always fail.

I see yaks as Mongols since they were an empire hellbent on conquest, plus that they're from the same area. I think a caribou race could be more in line with the Vikings.

Okay, okay maybe you have a point. But I still stand with my statement.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14