Military Bronies 569 members · 183 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

So while writing a story with military characters, the idea of a ponetic (if you're a marine, that's supposed to be a pun of our phonetic alphabet:raritywink:) alphabet came up and I thought: What would the ponies use for theirs?

So I came up with a possible list: (any I'm not sure about are highlighted in red)
APPLE
BRIDLE
COLT
DAM
ERGOT
FLANK
GELD
HOOF
IRON
JACKASS
KICK
LUNA
MARE
NEIGH
OSTLER
PEGASUS
QUIRT
RODEO
SADDLE
TAIL
UNICORN
VANNER
WITHER
XYLOPHONE
YAHOO
ZEBRA

Thoughts? Ideas for ones highlighted?

EDIT: updated

Alpha, bravo, Charlie, etc is actually called the phonetic alphabet (that's what everyone calls it). Marines don't own that name.

EDIT: Yeah, that's what I get for speed reading something while taking a short break from programming. You get one :trollestia: out of :trollestia: :trollestia: :trollestia: for it. Needs less Poe's Law.

5222409 I was hoping I wouldn't have to correct that alone.

5222360 Dock/Ergot and Yahoo/Kazoo don't work. The purpose of phonetic lettering is that nothing sounds like another. The actual phonetic alphabet is just fine in this regard (Except Lima, Quebec, and Zulu, because ponies have none of those things.)

5222504 But using the human alphabet is boring:raritydespair:

And good catch with the sound similars.:yay:

:trollestia:

Most of the phonetic you wouldn't need to replace. Some choices, as stated above, would not work because they're so similar. The NATO phonetic (or perhaps the Equestrian pone-tic?) code needs to be understood as easily and quickly as possible by operators from multiple countries, so there needs to be quick recognition in rapid fire situations. Yahoo/Kazoo absolutely need to be changed because they're just far too similar. What someone says should be in sector K(azoo), someone else could misinterpret as being sector Y(ahoo). That's a huge difference.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7