The Fillyfoolers 3,492 members · 3,951 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16

Ks. So I'm building up my OC Soul Shard from Foalhood on up and right now I'm at CMC age. I just got the input that Monogamy would be best. So here's the Q: Who'd be the best filly to ship her with [She is the same age as the Mane 6, and my current fic takes place before S1 E1] long term. For every good reason I have for one pony I have just as many if not as good reasons for another.

There's:

Cloud Kicker: As a Pegasi, whose a member of the Kicker Clan. She'd have the potential to be loyal, a great protector / body guard, and could not only help teach her how to fly. But could help raise her to new heights. That and she has great potential, but I'm not sure of any conflict or any that I could build between them.

Twilight: They are so mentally similar. Both Socially Inept atm, both obsessive, scientific minded [although Soul is so much more artistic], somewhat shy / unsure of what to do around others, and both well read / bibliophiles. That being said, at the moment Soul has a deep seated distrust towards Celestia which is a big potential conflict, while they both would make good sound boards amongst each other Soul can be rather stubborn. Especially on her end of a debate. So it makes a might work, might not.

Pinkie Pie: She loves to make a pony smile. Is empathetic, has a wonderful, photographic memory, is an inventor herself, has a better grasp on situations than she lets on, and lives to make others happy. But ... Pinkie Pie is Pinkie Pie, and her jumps in logic, reality warping powers, as well as her refusal to talk in a straightforward manner sometimes would have the same effect on Shar as it does on Twi. That and she'd be a challenge to write. Although I think my editor could help in that regard.

Luna: Luna needs love, although that'd mean that Soul would need to break up with some pony. I can't really talk about why Luna would be good without giving spoilers on the story itself [well Book 3's plans as it stands atm]. But Soul already has a relationship in a way [friend wise] with the Mare on the Moon. So Luna isn't that far off. Nor would Nightmare Moon. Although that brings up a whole mess of problems.

Vinyl: One of her first two friends. She takes her [Vinyl] off the streets after she runs away from home. Uses her knowledge of science and inventing stuffs to make Vinyl's DJing easier and truly cares for her. And Vinyl highly influenced Soul's training Arcs from Arc 2 up. As well as had a huge impact on the story.

But and it's a big, humongous but. I don't think that they'd have enough to mesh as a couple. As friends yes, as Soul's first crush, more than likely. But my editor and friend talked me out of shipping them and while it would mean sacrificing Soul's heart. That heart ache, and conflict would make the story better. And it'd set her up to get rebounded. But if it'd work that'd be good to [even if it's only short term].

If any of y'all know any back ground pony or Mane 6 that you think would be good for her. Or that'd make a nice ship. I'd appreciate your help. Even help narrowing down the list would be great. In a previous post in Struggling Authors I got one vote for Twi or CK before the thread went dead. So I thought I'd ask in romance groups that I'm in for advice.

Thanks for any help y'all could give,

-TheGreatEater

Vinyl All the way!!!

Why do you think that would work? I'd like to see your opinion.

you Might want to introduce a romantic conflict where to ponies are vying for her attention, maybe octavia and vinyl, introducing more conflict as they are roommates, i think that might add an interesting twist.

I'm not sure if I want to introduce Octy. Since they usually hook up when they are older. And In Story everypony is CMC age as of this latest chapter. But the idea of introducing conflit between two ponies that are vying for her attention, and her [as well as my own] trouble choosing at first would be an amazing element.

Thank you for the suggestion.

So I have your vote for Vinyl, who else would you have for the second Pony if not Octy?

Fillyfooler
Group Admin

I would also say Vinyl, and mostly cause at some point I'm guessing your going to catch up to the show. And unless you're writing an alternative world fic, you can't do much with any of the main 6 or the princesses. Also it sounds as if the two have good history behind them, which could give some romantic history conflict.

Why not ship her with another OC? That way you wouldn't be stepping on anypony's hooves, and you also wouldn't be limited by canon as much.

It's AU tagged. ShardIndustryVerse [or SIVerse haven't figured out which one yet].

But yeah that makes sense [with Vinyl] thank you. Should I pursue the two ponies vying for her attention suggestion listed above as well? Or should I go through the normal struggles that a relationship would have IRL with a fantasy twist?

Fillyfooler
Group Admin

Relationship in real life with a fantasy twist. Makes the struggle more relatable, also lets you expand on aspects of the character's relationships. Plus, it's more canon to the show, cause that's basically what the show is.

I thought about that, but I'm kind of biased on other OC's there only 4 that I've read that build up the character and I like. That and I like a Canon / Background because I have a nice template to build off of.

Fav. OC List:

Azure Tomato Got a shout out on Origins. But partially inspired Soul Shard. But is not only too young, but isn't born yet [in storyverse]. That plus Idk ... I just don't see them together.

Nyx I love Nyx. Something that I hope to oneday achieve is my OC to reach that level of impact emotionally / story wise. Wonderful world building, and is totally awesome. But Nyx is off limits. And I don't know if I want SIVerse to intersect with Nyxverse.

Lightning Flicker: Deathpony45 OC, given use by his permission. My character sees him more as a brother, and her his sister. But not in a Wincest kind of way. That and he wants him to end up with Dashie. I use LF because it was Dp who got me to not only create an OC, but helped being a sound board to create what ended up being a Magic Wielding Pegasus.

and

Smarty Pants: I don't want to wait 530ish years to have a relationship. That and idk, nice character. Shows her lineage personality wise very well, has good back ground building, but again way to off in the future.

Fillyfooler
Group Admin

I'm here to help.

Ok as of now Vinyl is ahead of Cloud Kicker.

6 to 5 [over all areas].

And Fillyfooler gave a good logical reason for it to happen.

So I'm closing the vote. Thank everypony for y'alls help. It really helped with a hard decision.

Idk man I just love Vinyl in shippings... And bananas, those are friggin awesome

Then you should look at http://www.fimfiction.net/story/109663/runaway-to-the-future, I'll admit that I can't get the site to accept the cover art but the long description has a link to it.

Not only is Filly Vinyl on the cover art, but she's an important part of the series in upcoming chapters. Not to mention the fact that she literally shaped the story after I wrote her in Arc 2. And bananas are pretty awesome.

1379490 I would like to see it with luna

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16