Christian Bronies 982 members · 235 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

I doubt any of the presidents of the last thirty years have been religious except by necessity.

Don't tell me you are actually taking one of those late night shows seriously. Most of those shows are ran by comedians and are not meant to be taken seriously.

Well, some of the most profound political and social commentators of all time have been comedians, but that's coming from a rabid George Carlin fan. We've also been using comedic satire as a vehicle for thought-provocation for . . . well, forever. However, I've never known late-shows to really be geared towards anything but a punch-line.

Love 'em or hate 'em (and it's usually the latter for right-leaning individuals) what comedians like John Oliver and Bill Maher do is completely different from what late-show hosts typically do. The former tends to do commentary laced with comedy. The latter basically uses current events to carry a joke, without any real intended message. I find that while the former tends to make it pretty clear where they stand, the latter is often pretty reckless and not clear on what is and is not meant to be taken seriously.

In any case, I'm not concerned with the president's religion, or lack thereof. However, I am absolutely concerned about his administration's attempts at appeasing the religious right, and I'm concerned that Trump has a complete kook for a VP. I mean really, Pence is cookoo for cocoa-puffs. I can't wait until this country fully embraces secularism, and religion ceases to be a driving force in our politics. Jefferson be rolling over in his grave.

I bet you can say more in comedy then drama if done right

Why not both?

Well, not comedy in that actual seen, but M.A.S.H. is proof that you can successfully put comedy and drama into a blender and come out with something that isn't dogshit.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6