LessWrong 316 members · 64 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Many groups have icons, appearing on the main group page, next to forum topics, and otherwise making the group more (ahem) iconic. How about something like this?

If someone with amazing art skills wants to draw a draconic finger-snap, or a unicorn-aura manifested hand snapping fingers, or something equally creative, that'd be even better.

Less Wrong has always made me imagine a guy stroking his chin with one hand while kinda shrugging with the other shoulder.

I wanted to go with something that would be immediately recognizable to fans of LessWrong elsewhere.

As a rationalist, I agree that thematic consistency would help with recognition, but as an artist (on a site for creative work), I think we should explore other imagery, to stimulate us to examine our various semiotic schema. It would be a prompt to get us to think about using our Doyle Hat or Watson Hat when reading.

Bad Horse
Group Admin

1901979 What's the connection between a finger snap and LessWrong?

I'm all for it, if an artist is available to draw it. However, in the meantime I'd rather have a recognizable icon than no icon.

This is a site for MLP fanfiction, so using a cover from a HP fanfic seems weird. Besides, HJPEV is a character who can appear arrogant and presumptuous, who possesses plot-justified mental superpowers and the finger snap represents his habit of abusing said powers and conveniently available gadgetry to mess with people's heads, often just for fun. Those traits make for a cool story protagonist but don't seem like something I want to associate myself with in real life.

How about simply the Less Wrong favicon?

Actually, hasn't that already been used as the group icon? What happened with that?

Aye, tying this group to HPMOR seems wrong, so I'd prefer something... er... less so?

I could probably be won over by a good enough pony/dragon/diamond dog digit-snap, though. It does make for a good striking image.

(Celestia's Sunshine Regiment?)

I'd suggest something Star Swirl the Bearded based, either one of the several DeviantArt renditions or Twilight's costume version, after all he's Equestria's paradigmatic scientific sage, their version of Newton or Da Vinci.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11