LessWrong 316 members · 64 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

Project: Sunflower is a story I'd tentatively call science fiction, involving an Earth facing an alien grey goo scenario and seeking means of survival - including seeking escape via interdenominational travel. This, of course, leads to them finding Equestria; the meat of the story is about a girl named Erin who volunteers to investigate this idyllic and literally magical world prior to opening diplomatic channels or barging in. On an aside, it is also one of the most-lauded stories here on fimfiction.

It is not exactly what I would call rationalist fiction, in that it's not told to introduce folks to rationalism, nor as a puzzle to be solved by rationalist readers (though there is fair foreshadowing). However, it touches on such topics as transhumanism, non-human sapience (albeit very familiar; no baby-eaters here), first contact, and how one rationally handles the discovery of "magic". Plus, no one really holds the idiot ball at any time; everyone has their reasons for doing what they do. Granted, not all of these topics are fully explored; the major story is about the personal struggles of Erin and her involvement with the above.

My question then is whether this is the sort of story to be added to this group; there are certainly themes here that the LessWrong crowd may get a kick out of, and it could easily spur discussion, but it's not explicitly trying to be rational. What do you folks think?

(As a note, the somewhat ham-handed introduction is not representative of the story as a whole.)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1