The League of Ordinary Gentlecolts 28 members · 0 stories
Comments ( 22 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 22
primalcorn1
Group Admin

Hey! Want to just ramble on in idle chat about nothing all that important? This thread is all about just that! Just type your idle chit chat in here, and I'm sure someone will respond to it.

My "Read Later" counter is going up faster than I can read (hello, 70!) and I don't know how to feel about that. :twilightblush:

I was going to make one of these, but didn't know if that would be bad form, seeing as it's your group and all that.

I haven't felt like reading to much I started reading nightmare it is good from what I read.

Well mine was up to 27 at one point(primarily epics, not one-shots) and eventually I just had a free day. Suddenly, only 7 left.

I generally try to read two or three fic chapters a day. So far my counter went from about ~56 to 37.

Mentlegen: It's time to man up.

That Beard. Oh how I hope it's Okay...

421530 my read later currently counts over a hundred.:twilightsheepish:

Here is a question I would like to ask all the gents, Is it bad to feel when reading these stories. This isn't about being a guy but more about the story being based off of a fictional series. I know that other stories and movies have made me tear up but those were about real life occurrences like the wars or things based off true stories like Pay it Forward. With the whole series being fake and the fanfics being made about cartoon ponies, also just saying I love the series and all different kids of stories on this site, do I have a prob? I myself think that if I do its not a big one but would like impute. Oh and please dont just say it me showing my sensitive side, I am pretty apathetic and cynical so that excuse wont fly unless you think theres more to it than just that.
Thank you for your time.

Apathetic, cynical, somewhat concerned about the fiction-induced feels. Hello me of several years ago. :twilightsmile:

I really don't think it's a problem. Aside from a portion of the population with differently-wired brains, we all get the feels sometimes. If you're apathetic and cynical, it's probably because the things around you are somewhat more "meh" than you'd like. Either there's nothing worth getting the feels over, or you've learned that the feels are more trouble than they're worth. So you've learned to be apathetic and cynical as a kind of armor.

Then you suddenly find this bright, colorful, exciting imaginary universe full of talking pones. It can be as happy, sad, romantic, grimdark, or whatever as you like. The feels can safely come out to play, and nobody gets hurt. Sure, it seems weird until you get used to it, but it's just like exercising muscles you haven't used in a while.

A not-so-inspiring word of caution: after a while, you'll probably want to take your feels out for a walk in the real world. If it works out for you, great. But remember that there are both whatever issues that existed before, plus a general societal norm that guys aren't supposed to have the feels. Don't throw your armor away until you're sure you won't need it, or you might find yourself in an uncomfortable position.

Beards are awesome. So glad I stopped listening to the Anti-Beard Brigade and grew one. You don't realize how much shaving sucks until you don't have to anymore. Fun fact: no matter how old you are, if you don't come from a beard-growing family, your immediate family will complain about your beard for the first year or so. Then they'll give up. Also, never trim or shape it until it's fully grown in (a month, two for some guys) or you'll take forever to get it just right.

primalcorn1
Group Admin

In near complete contradiction to the advice you just received, I strongly suggest that you never wear armor to stop yourself from feeling. Believe me, I lived a life of apathetic cynicism for years, and all I did was drain myself entirely of emotion. As of now, I am physically incapable of crying, and it sucks. I can feel the feels, and sometimes my eyes will water, but I haven't shed a tear in close to five years.

There is nothing worse that you can do to yourself than to let apathy be your guide to how you should live. Not only is it alright to show your emotions to the world, you'll only hurt yourself if you don't. Apathy turns to depression very quickly.

Honestly, I don't think the fact that it's based on cartoon horses makes any difference. The ponies are so greatly anthropomorphized that, especially when it's just words and letters, it's easy to suspend the knowledge that they're animals and think of them as people with weird names, going through real people problems. So getting the feels isn't strange at all.

Another topic for the gents: I need some animation ideas to tide me over.

TLC

Not to change the subject, but anyone else here have any opinions on authors deleting stories? Much like myself?

Opinions? Got tons.
1) Deleted stories aren't really deleted. Haters can still dig them up, but potential fans probably won't.
2) It's the writer's story, so I guess they can do what they want with it.
3) This is why I download and save my favorite stories.

Random: Have a Minecraft vid done by ponies! (PG-13 yelling, so NSFW)
[youtube=_SrwJcr3uok]
Context: It's from a let's play of a challenge map. Dyeing wool is cheating.

To edit or to double-post, that is the question. (Seriously, do we have a preference around here?) :derpytongue2:

(Not arguing, just clarifying)
True, I would not advocate intentionally building up emotional armor. (Been there, done that, bad idea, getting better now.) But, if you're already wearing it, it might be a bad idea to ditch it all at once. To make a flawed analogy with a broken limb: after you first take that cast off, your limb is tender, weak, and easy to re-injure. Yes, you need to get used to using it again, but you need to do some exercises or physio before you can run right out and play baseball with it. The same goes with sharing your emotions again. Start small, start with people you trust, keep it in "appropriate" places, etc. Suddenly being much more open can be painful at best, and can mess up your interpersonal relationships and your own well-being at worst. Of course, your mileage may vary, so trust your instincts and act accordingly. I am not a doctor, offer not valid in Alaska, allow 6-8 weeks for delivery, do not taunt happy fun ball, etc.

Semi-OT: I know Corny mentioned in the University Days/Nights post that clop is a no-go zone for him, and there were discussions before about how much innuendo is "too much" for various readers and writers. Given that and the "no sex-specific advice" guideline for the group, I was wondering where the line for the group (members and as a whole) and any discussion is. I'll borrow the SFG's fic-rating scale for this:

[Fluffy] - Nothing serious, mostly cute. (Everyone)
[Fuzzy] - A real d'aw scene for the heart. (Everyone)
[Snuggly] - Hugs, peck on the cheek, etc. (Everyone)
[Tender] - Kisses, lying down together. (Teen)
[Romantic] - Kisses w/ tongue, massages. (Teen)
[Cheeky] - Moaning, overly massaging wings, hooves, etc. (Teen)
[Saucy] - Very, VERY suggestive. (Mature)
[Whoa!] - This goes as far as describing actual sex. (Mature)

For fics, I personally prefer Tender or less, but I'll usually read just about anything if it isn't clop for clop's sake. Arguably, some scenes in Corny's work have gone higher (depending on how you want to handle context), so I'm wondering where he wants to draw the line in the future, and what you other guys are happy with. Also, seeing as Corny did set up the group, is there a level you'd prefer we didn't go above, regarding ponies or real life? Not that I'm expecting problems, but it would be nice to know, before someone gets uncomfortable.

I only read fics rated WHOA, they are the best and only fics deserved to be called fics. :moustache:

primalcorn1
Group Admin

Ahh, that makes more sense. I should clarify what I meant by the lack of sex here. The intent was to avoid an overabundance of crude sexual conversation that does nothing but drag humanity down a peg. Discussing sex is not a problem, in fact, given that it is one of the most difficult struggles for any man, I actually encourage conversations about sexual struggles (addiction, fetishes that you may have that are a discomfort to yourself or the world around you, being easily stimulated, etc).

Sex isn't a topic to avoid. In fact, sex is the most beautiful act two people can share together. My reason for caution as far as sexual conversation is how much the world has objectified sex and made it into another everyday activity, and I don't want to see that promoted here.

I half-suspected it was something like that, but I wanted to err on the side of caution. Between mass media, internet culture, and (sorry, but it's true) the unique 'Murican attitudes on the subject, it's kind of a messy topic.

Oh dang, I just got home from riding my motorcycle to the store up the rode and decide to check my back drive tire...
It made me tear up a bit seeing I must now replace the tire... this one hit me right in the wallet, right in the wallet...

Just random crap.

primalcorn1
Group Admin

I just hope your wallet wasn't in your back pocket. It would be a shame to have your hindquarters harmed over that.

Indeed it was in my back pocket... and more then my hindquarters got hurt from this experience.

primalcorn1
Group Admin

Oh my...are you okay?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 22