TwiLuna Writer Motivation Group 144 members · 43 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12
Fuzzyfurvert
Group Admin

For my first Tuesday Check In:

Worked on the Chapter 3 revision. It's a massive edit from what is currently posted here on the site. Editor got it back to me a few days ago and I'm happy to say that the polish shouldn't be too difficult. Though, it would seem, according to her, that I am abusing my demonstratives and lacking adequate description in a few places. So I have to watch my "and", "this" and "that" usage.

Currently, the revision is sitting at 2.3K words, versus the original length of 1.4K.

With this re-write, Luna's motivations and feels should be a lot more clear.

Tormidal
Group Contributor

I'm bad at motivating.

Keep up the good work! xD

PonyholicsAnonymous
Group Contributor

Get that thing up so I can read it already! :rainbowhuh:

aquilerafroot
Group Contributor

Wonderful, and wow I was the 2nd comment? Tho it seems you've re-published the chapters? I still don't know what happens if you do that... Looking forward to new chapters! :raritystarry:

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Admin

Yes! 28 weeks and 5 days ago you commented on PD for the first time!(thanks btw)

Just keep an eye out for a blog post to alert for the chapter revisions since the site doesn't do it for me. And the new chapter should be ready for editing soonish...

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Admin

405060>>402624>>402444

Chapter 3 revision is up! I'll drop a Tuesday update on the state of Chapter 7 tomorrow.

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Admin

And low, it is Tuesday!

Time for The Tuesday Update 2: Chapter Seven as it Currently Stands!

Let's start out by saying: it's not finished. It's not even close to finished. Not that I haven't worked on it, just that it's going to be a long one, like Chapter Six was. So, finished product will likely be in the 7-10K words area. And that is daunting to me. I'm a very slow typist. I can't actually use the ring or pinkie fingers on either hand to type. They flinch whenever I move my bird finger. So I only use the bird, index and thumbs when I type. I've been told that I'm extremely fast for using just that, so...yay?:yay:

But it still doesn't negate the fact that I'm not fast compared to someone that can use all their fingers for the same job. My editor(who is a professional technical writer/proof-reader/code writer) laughs when I offer to type something up for her.

Anyway, so far, Chapter Seven is sitting at a paltry, measly 1.2K words of rough draft. Like I said, nowhere near finished.

And it is rough going. I'm a little floored because this is an important chapter to the overall development of Twilight's and Luna's friendship(which supplies the basis of their relationship that develops later on). Their conversation with each other is pivotal here and supposed to sound natural. I also need to weave foreshadowing into it and do a little world building.

Additionally, I have to reveal two villainous plans that are wildly different for the villains involved and do a fight scene. That involves Zecora. ZECORA. The prospect of writing her dialog alone makes me want to cry. I thought about dropping the rhyming, but that would kill the characterization.

Speaking of voices, one thing that is a bit difficult for me to nail is a consistent voice for each character. Speaking patterns and word choice are very important here and there are more characters talking in this one than the last six. And some of them are just hard to hold in my thoughts. Twilight's voice is a breeze for me. Luna's is still a little wobbly, I think. Fancypants and Fluer are still in the developing stages, but strong. Then comes Zecora(shudder), and the as of yet unnamed villain. I want him to sound like a slimeball. Like someone to hate.:flutterrage:

Another thing I'm working/experimenting on in this chapter is pacing by juxtaposition of scenes. I want the reader to feel a growing sense of urgency as the three major plot lines are all happening simultaneously. And all three are at a major turning point. Chapters one through six were the build up, and seven is where the proverbial feces hits the rotor blades.

So I gotta nail this. I have to keep the readers coming back for more and I have to show myself I can top my meager accomplishments.

PonyholicsAnonymous
Group Contributor

411684 You know, I've always found that it's not the typing that takes up time, it's figuring out what to type. I'm not exactly a speed typist or anything, but still, I spend a lot more time staring at the page than I do actually writing things down on it. Just my two cents.

Voices always came really naturally to me, but I don't know exactly how to give advice on it. It seems like you're doing fine so far, though. Reading a lot probably helps.

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Admin

Sheesh...Tuesday again?

Well...sadly, I haven't gotten jack squat written. I had a 1500 mile trip to deal with for the holiday weekend so that kinda killed any hope of getting writing done. I did get some drawing done however.:rainbowhuh:

And came up with a few ideas for a new fic or two.:pinkiecrazy:

Also decided on just how Celestia is going to put a stop to at least one bad guy. Permanently. And the amount of distance and shielding Twilight will need to make it through.:derpyderp2:

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Admin

Oh look, it's Tuesday.

"FAJITAS!!!"

Shut up Jotoro. I've slapped down about a thousand words in the last seven days.

Pathetic, I know.

Life is being a pester, though I've remained creative and have the basic outline for a whole chapter ahead of myself. Yet, I feel like crap for having not used my free time better(Tumblr, I'm looking at you...). I think I'm going to block a few websites and uninstall a few games, then get back to the grindstone.

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Admin

Alright, its late. Sue me.

But, I HAVE been working on things. Chapter 7 is now all of 4K words, give or take, and growing. I broke it into 13 smaller, manageable chunks and I have 5 left to go. Then the first draft will be done and ready to go for editing.

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Admin

That Awkward Moment when you have to reference your own story's last chapter to write a minor detail into the next chapter: I just had.

I'm up to the start of the encounter between Fleur and Zecora. Flowing pretty good now. Dislodged whatever was giving me the block, so I feel good.

I have five of the 13 sections left to do.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12