Long Fics 1,162 members · 369 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

I have a long story that ive been working over a year and a half on and I've had two questions.

1, I know that this story is going to be easily over 2,000,000 words, but I was wondering that, since the story will be edited and completed when I start posting chapters, if we could post it here when we start?

2. this is a personal question, what generally is better for a long fic, longer chapters or those same chapters broken down into smaller pieces? For example, in one section, there is a battle that I decided to break into 3 parts, each one being 10,000 words each. I could easily post each one separate, together as a whopping 30K'er, or I could easily break each one down further and further based on flows in the pacing and when it switches perspectives.

What do you think?

I would say 10K-word chapters would be a good point for them to be considered "long", though if the 30K one works, then by all means use that. My chapters run, on average, somewhere between 4K and 6K words, with my longest yet being around 8K.

You're free to post it here as soon as you can. I've seen a number of stories posted here with less than 100k words that quickly grew. A word of advice that I learned myself: Post a chapter or so a day, so you can hit the front page as often as possible.

Don't make chapters more than 20k words. I did that a few times in my story and had to break them down later, because that's just too much. Most people won't want to sit through it. 10k-20k is a good range for longer stories, I've found.

2354619 I think I'll break them down so that they are easier to digest for readers. Usually I write stories in a way that plots and such can be split apart with each action relatively easy without feeling jagged. One chapter which is 3 10K parts starts with the main character learning that he has a baby sister, the next is his change from who he was to what he is willing to become to keep her safe, amd the last one is Nightmare Moon's return. Each one can be chopped up every 5-6 thousand words each. (In the first draft what I said above was one 10 K chapter and now that I knkw show vs tell, I expanded it to 30K.)

2355585 I think that when I post I'll usually do 3 chapters on monday and possibly 3 more on Thursday in case I decide to go biweekly.

The way fimfic works is that it lets you get on the front page once every twenty-four hours, when you update. So if you update three times in a one day period, you'll only end up on the front page at that one time. If you want to maximize your readers, time your updates out so that a little more than twenty-four hours have passed. I've seen a lot of really long and really good stories go almost unnoticed because they were posted all at once or a lot of it was posted at once. Just a suggestion.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6