The GREAT and POWERFUL TRIXIE 1,058 members · 899 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Hi everypony! :twilightsmile:

I need some help with a fanfic I'm writing. Hope you guys can give me some ideas... :pinkiesmile:

In the fanfic, Trixie was acually part of an evil organization who are bent on taking over Equestria. The ponies in this organization would travel to a certain town in Equestria, perform magic, and eventually hypnotize the ponies. Since Trixie failed to do this, she is kicked out of the group...who also happen to be her only family. :fluttercry:

Princess Celestia finds out about Trixie being homeless and asks Twilight to watch over her. Eventually, Trixie develops feelings for Twilight...you know...ROMANTIC feelings. :heart:

Then, I want the organization to attack Ponyville, but I'm not sure how Trixie and Twilight could defeat them. That's where you guys come in. I also need names for the three members of the organization, and their leader. I'd like them to have magic-ish names like 'Wanda' or something. Nah, not Wanda. That sounds too much like The Fairly Odd-Parents. And then there's TRIXIE. :derpytongue2:

I hope I didn't just give away my whole story :applecry:raritycry::raritydespair::fluttershbad::fluttershyouch::fluttershysad::fluttercry:
And I also hope you guys can help me! Thanks everypony!
If you need more info, let me know! :raritywink:

:heart:

Aren't you... yeah! You are the one who was following that plagiarist who stole the story Moonlit Sparkle. Why are you still watching her? She got banned.

First off, raid names of magicians for possible base-names to change. "The Amazing Randi", say, could become Random Chance the Amazing. Or just Randi the Amazing.
Presto, Cardini, Maskylene...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_magicians look for the stage names

Second, here's a good idea for battle - Twilight hits one with an antimagic field, then kicks 'im in the teeth. Strength of having friends - having learned how to buck from AJ, in that example.
Aside from that, writing a magical battle can be tricky. There are two ways to do it. One (the one I tend to use in my Pokemon fic, Ashes of the Past) is blow-by-blow description of every move from the perspective of either an observer or one of the participants - including only making it clear what a given spell is when the viewpoint character would reasonably know. Include wild speculation:

Twilight launched a Living Lightning spell into the cloud Trixie's latest fire spell had left. There was no impact, and a Coldball and Ethereal Spite went sailing in the same direction with no results.
Where did she go? Twilight thought, casting out her awareness. Is this some kind of cloaking spell? Did I just miss, and is she-
She interrupted her train of thought as a sudden magical spike built. A pulse of magic reinforced her shield and switched it to omnidirectional, but no attack materialized.
She's toying with me...

The other (the one from my Naruto fic Vulpine) is very broad-strokes. This example might just say

After a few seconds, Trixie switched from lightning spells to a fire one, and teleported away before the blast cleared. Twilight wasted three high-power blasts before realizing, and strengthened her D-class bunker shield as she looked around.

As you can see, there I'm not covering every attack or defence, but grouping them. This allows for omniscient narration without becoming tedious. The second one actually covers more time of the same scene, but it's shorter.

When writing Twilight, don't be afraid to have her use battle magic. She could either have learned it as part of her education (maybe from her brother), or be working it out independently on the fly ("so, applying Starswirl's sequencer to a simple blast spell and nesting the effect six times allows me to fire six spells at once! Of course!"). Both approaches would allow her to be copying her opponents' spells as they use them, making her improve fast.
Trixie, by comparison, would be a little more of a guile fighter. Again, she's got the power and some of the spells (lightning bolt) but her main talent is in misdirection. She could use a mustache growing spell to make the enemy trip over a fifteen foot tuft of hair; she could create a big blast of light directly in front of an opponents' eyes... creatively use and abuse low magic stuff to supplement the big blasts.

I know she was banned... :applecry:
She lives in England and I live in America, but we message over YouTube. I consider her a friend. I do believe it was wrong of her to plagiarize, though.

429297 Wrong doesn't even begin to describe how messed up that was. But I digress.

I guess that's true :applejackunsure:

I also wonder why she did that...I had said to her 'oh, you should write a Twiluna fanfic!' but I didn't expect her to copy anyone...truth is, she copied my channel description on YouTube. That's kinda how we met :fluttershyouch:

Wow! That was was so beautifully described! :raritystarry:
You write Pokemon fanfiction? AWESOME! So do I! It's one of my addictions along with MLPFiM :twilightsmile::rainbowlaugh:

Thanks for the help!

429314 One word... plagiarist.

The leader of the organization has been named Hex, and there's also another member named Hocus. i need two more names please! :twilightsmile:

I've named the other ones Starzao and Wanderlust. :twilightsmile:

Ashes of the Past
TVTropes page
is my Pokemon fic. (Yeah, I've got a fic with a TVTropes page. I feel kind of awesome about that).

Copying the description from my fanfiction.net page, I've done fics in Naruto, Pokémon, How to Train Your Dragon, Chronicles of Narnia, Evangelion, Bleach, Lord of the Rings, My Little Pony, Halo, Fate/stay night and various Baen books.
...yeah, my focus is a bit scattershot at times.

Now, one other concern is about the two lead's resistance to the hypnosis thing. After all, it's the strength of these mages and they'd play to their strengths where possible.
Here's a few possibilities:
Contingency spell that activates if they ever lose control of their mind (perhaps Twilight researched one after seeing what happened to her brother?)
Raw willpower (a classic)
One or other of the deities helps as much as they can, reminding Twilight (or Trixie) what's going on
Something silly happens to snap them out of it (say, Spike accidentally sent Twilight a book by dragonfire, and it materialized above her head)
Something non-silly (Rainboom, all the way across the sky... could either wake Twilight up, or just send her magic haywire - again - which distracts the unicorn casting the spell and THAT frees her)
It's just not a very good spell, and doesn't work at all if the target is ready for it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11