Followers of Discord 3,184 members · 2,756 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

For those who don’t know, I’d like to confess that I’m not a big fan of FlutterCord.

It isn’t because of their differences in age or species, really. It’s because...

One reason would be that I find Discord to be way too eccentric for Fluttershy despite her liking Discord being chaotic. Other reasons would be that I personally can’t help but find it to be too obvious in so many ways, that the two don’t really match each other when it comes to love, and because I just can’t seem to find any great and interesting stories depicting a romance between the two. Every time I take a sneak peek at a story featuring the pairing, I can’t help but find the pairing and romance between the two characters to be handled rather blandly, and they would either be out of character or something else. No matter how hard I even try, I just can’t seem to see it working, especially with Fluttershy.

But my prime reason is because of this:

Celestia’s real reason behind why she assigned Fluttershy to reform Discord is so that Fluttershy could show him what it’s like to have a friend, and that’s what Fluttershy was wanting to do since “Keep Calm and Flutter On”, show him how valuable friendship and having a friend truly is. FlutterCord just...seems to take away the reasons behind it all.

But, that’s where I have a question for you all.

What is it about Discord and Fluttershy that many of you believe shows potential for them to be more than friends? What is it that you believe helps them to match?

For that matter, what is it that you all see that I can’t see? And why can’t I see?

I’ve been wanting to be open for it and to see how it would work so much, but yet...no matter how hard I try, I just can’t seem to see it working. I can’t seem to see anything stronger between Discord and Fluttershy than a deep friendship, and even when I see these “supposed” winks that makes fans of the pairing crazy, I still don’t see it.

For me, Discord has always been what I would classify as one of the series’s most complex characters. I have always had this point of view that, him being a chaotic individual and someone who still struggles to understand friendship a lot of times, he wouldn’t be doing anything for Fluttershy out of being in love with her. He wouldn’t be doing anything that a non-chaotic character like Fluttershy would do. Attending Fluttershy’s tea parties, for instance, was something that I often thought he did not because he liked tea or was in love with Fluttershy, but because he’s trying to be a good friend to her as much as possible.

What thoughts do you guys have about this? About what I think of FlutterCord and my questions?

Am I really so much of a bonehead with some kind of problem?

I don't like it either, but unlike you, I dislike it because I'm super shallow, its the species. I don't approve.

Comment posted by Buttery Biscuit deleted Apr 9th, 2020

I use the pairing because Discord is a very complex and eccentric character, and Fluttershy has more patience and understanding than the rest of the Mane Six.
Pinkie is a tempting substitute but she comes off as someone more likely to enable his more quasi-destructive antics.

Am I really so much of a bonehead with some kind of problem?

No. You just have an opinion like everyone else.

Would that be including the fact that I can’t see what others see or something else?

Some of your reasons for not seeing them as a couple happen to be some of my reasons for why I feel it works.
It's not a matter of seeing or not seeing. We're both looking at the same thing. We're just taking different conclusions out of it.

It's contextually the same thing as sitting down with your family and being the one person who just eats to be polite while everyone else is enjoying it.

Celestia’s real reason behind why she assigned Fluttershy to reform Discord is so that Fluttershy could show him what it’s like to have a friend, and that’s what Fluttershy was wanting to do since “Keep Calm and Flutter On”, show him how valuable friendship and having a friend truly is. FlutterCord just...seems to take away the reasons behind it all.

This is probably the most well thought out reason for disliking the ship. Let me start off by applauding you, even if I disagree.

For me, Discord has always been what I would classify as one of the series’s most complex characters. I have always had this point of view that, him being a chaotic individual and someone who still struggles to understand friendship a lot of times, he wouldn’t be doing anything for Fluttershy out of being in love with her. He wouldn’t be doing anything that a non-chaotic character like Fluttershy would do.

I agree that he's a complex character. Other attributes I would give him is a mask of confidence that hides major underlying insecurities...and that's precisely why I ship them. With Fluttershy, I feel he's able to drop the cocky persona and be vulnerable around her. As the series progresses, it feels like he's able to be more relaxed about her. Their relationship I feel isn't as binary as just "either friends or in love." I see it as a bit of both, if that makes sense?

Part of that is based on what I think an ideal relationship should be - you should be friends as well as lovers. A friendship without love is okay. It's a friendship. Love without friendship is toxic and corrosive to all parties involved. My interpretation of Fluttercord exemplifies this.

Weird because i seen a good potential and good chemistry between them already in S3 Keep aim and FLutter On. Its always weird to see that some people "don't see it" or they don't like it. Maybe they don't like the voice and interspecies thing? I don't know, I treat this couple like Beauty & Beast relationship. Same with Rose Quartz and Greg or Holo and Lawrence in Spice&Wolf. Its always magical when demigod immortals fall for a mortal with shorter life span. Its something that was a thing since greek mythology when Zeus had a child with a mortal woman and that's how Hercules was born. It's a shame that this romance between God of thunders and a human was never developed in any fictional story or movie. And i haven't seen Thor so i don't know if Marvel did something simialr.

Firstly, you aren't a bone head with issues, you're someone with an entirely justified opinon. The entire point of these kind of websites is to promote different opinions. You are entitled to your own opinon. Your resons are completely valid, and the only time they are invalid is if you're putting others down; and while I can't explain the ship (it's not my favorite) i applaud you for trying to understand. In fact, you make a great argument against the ship. I hope one of the other replies explains it to you to your satisfaction.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11