• Published 26th Apr 2013
  • 476 Views, 12 Comments

Dream Catcher - epona92



The untold story of Princess Luna's student, Dream Catcher.

  • ...
 12
 476

Chapter 3: The Royal City and the First Meeting

The wind blew through the trees, rustling the leaves as it slipped by them like a ghost in the night. The only other sounds that Dream Catcher could hear were her own cautious steps and her short breaths. The silence that filled the void was unnerving.

She dared not stop to sleep despite having been traveling for hours. The stories that ponies told when they stopped over on their farm told of terrifying beasts and strange apparitions that walked about these woods. They had warned of straying off the beaten path, and she took that tip to heart. Unfortunately the map she had taken with her was useless. Sure it had the major roads about the lands, but when it came to the woods there was no information. The royal city was surrounded by green, and only those who had the knowledge of the paths handed down to them could find the way. Even then, those journeys were taken during the day.

A snap came from her left, and Dream Catcher spun to face the source. She couldn’t see a thing in the darkness. She held her breath, straining to hear anything else. Another snap came from behind her and as she turned about again she began to feel her legs shake.

“W-Who’s there?” she called. No response. She didn’t know whether to run or stay still, but she soon got her answer when a loud howl sounded off not too far from her. Her legs reacted before her mind, and the next thing she knew she was sprinting down the path. The wind whipping past her ears made it impossible to hear if anything was following behind and she didn’t want to look back. She just had to keep running.

Suddenly the forest opened wide, and she found herself in the middle of a cleared area. In front of her lay a great stone wall with a wooden gate built into it. The insignia on it was of two alicorns, one of each gate, outlined in some kind of metal. It was the royal city! She made it!

Dream Catcher let herself stop in front of the doors to catch her breath. A quick glance back revealed that whatever had been following her had given up its pursuit. She was safe for now. Her gaze turned back to the wall, and she noticed a large rock just to the right of it. She walked around the back of it and noticed there was just enough room for her to lay there. It wasn’t much for protection, but at least she would be blocked from the view of the forest.

She rested her pack on the ground and laid her head upon it as her eyes began to droop, not even bothering to take off the hood. She hoped that when the day came she would finally be able to find the princess.

“Hey you, wake up.”

Something jabbed at her side. Dream Catcher groaned and rolled over, trying to ignore whoever was bothering her. Another poke, this time on her back.

“Five more minutes Daddy,” she moaned, covering her eyes.

“I’m not your Daddy kid. Now come on, wake up.”

Dream Catcher’s eyes shot open, and instead of her bed she found herself staring at a bunch of grass. She rolled over quickly and saw a guard standing just a little way from her, the blunt end of his spear ready to poke her again. The sun shining off his uniform blinded her for a moment.

“What…where am I?” she asked. The guard tilted his head.

“You’re outside the royal city,” he answered in confusion. She looked around and noticed the great wall with the two wooden doors.

Oh. Right. Now she remembered.

She glanced past the guard and beamed when she saw the gates were open. In a flash she was up off the ground and had her pack back on. She was just about to walk over to the gate when the guard stopped her.

“And just where do you think you’re going?” he asked firmly. Dream Catcher shrunk back.

“I-I’m going to meet someone in the city,” she answered. If she told him that she was going to meet the princess he would never believe her. She would have to leave out a few details if she wanted to get in.

“By yourself?”

“I’ve traveled her before,” Dream Catcher huffed, trying to sound convincing. The guard raised an eye at her, seeming to deliberate what to do. After a moment he lifted his spear out of her way.

“Fine,” he answered, “but I’m going to escort you from here on out.”

Her ears drooped. Oh no, what was she going to do now? If he found out that she had lied, what would he do to her? Throw her in jail? Could they do that to fillies? She didn’t want to find out. Without a word she began to walk towards the gates. The steps of the guard told her that he was right behind her.

As she entered the city, however, her concerns vanished for a moment. Her home was just a simple cottage out in the middle of nowhere. This city, however, was like nothing she had ever seen. Magnificent houses lined the cobble road in front of her, each seeming more grand than the next. Ponies were strolling around – most of them were unicorns – dressed in all different kinds of outfits. Some had on simple hoods like her own, but most of them wore fancy dresses and ruffled collars. Banners hung from the lamp posts on either side of the street, each on alternating between gold and navy. They reminded her of the banners in her own room back home.

Soon they came to a market, which only increased Dream Catcher’s awe. The stands each had their own unique combination of colors, all bright and alluring. There were so many different kinds of fruits and vegetables for sale at each one. She didn’t recognize half of them but they all looked delicious.

A loud rumble came from her stomach. She had completely forgotten to eat that morning. She was about to get the loaf of bread out of her pack when she heard the guard sigh from behind her.

“You forget to bring some food?” he asked. Dream Catcher was about to protest, but then she got an idea. She mustered up the most pitiful face she could and nodded. The guard smiled.

“Oh alright, I’ll get you a little something, but just this once.”

She beamed in response and followed him over to one of the stalls. It was particularly crowded this morning, and the second she saw her chance Dream Catcher took off into the crowds. A sudden commotion behind her signaled that the had noticed her disappearance, but she did not stop running. She slipped away into a side street and waited. As she watched she saw the guard go running past, a worried and slightly annoyed look on his face. She smirked. That went better than she had expected.

After waiting a few more minutes to be safe, Dream Catcher walked back out of her hiding place. She reached up and dropped the hood down, letting her dark red mane fall back out. It felt good to feel the sun on her face again.

For the next few hours the young filly let herself explore the market, eavesdropping on conversations to try and figure out the best way to get in contact with the princess. Listening the bobbles and bits, she found that she wouldn’t be able to sneak into the palace. It was heavily guarded, especially after a recent incident with someone named Sombra. Subtlety wouldn’t do it. She would have to do something else, something more direct.

“It was quite funny you know, how bold she was the other day.”

Dream Catcher’s ears perked up at the nearby conversation between two elegantly dressed unicorns. She sidled over to the booth and tried to act like she was surveying the types of bread there.

“You don’t mean she actually did it?”

“She did! She just waltzed on up to the guards and demanded an audience with the princesses!”

“That mare is absolutely crazy!”

“Oh believe me, that’s not even the craziest part. Apparently the guards have to send in a messenger to tell the princesses that someone wants to see them. Princess Celestia is trying to win favor with her subjects by being more open to them no doubt. Very clever if you ask me.”

“Indeed. Makes the people feel like she’s listening. Whether that’s actually the case we may never know.”

Dream Catcher couldn’t believe it. She’d spent all morning and afternoon trying to come up with some clever way to get in to see the princesses, and all she had to do was walk up and ask! In a flash she was gone, headed straight for the palace.

The townspeople hadn’t been kidding when they said the place was guarded well. On every balcony and at every corner there was a guard either in gold. No pony could sneak in there. She walked up the cobble stairs and came face to face with an ornate door, decorated with an insignia similar to the gates at the outer wall. In front of it were three guards, all standing at attention. She hesitated for a moment, intimidated by their intense stares. Dream Catcher took a breath to steady herself before walking right up to them.

One of the guards looked down at her without a word. She waited for him to say something, but as the silence thickened she realized that she needed to be the one to speak first. She puffed out her chest to look confident and spoke.

“I would like an audience with the Princess of the Night…please,” she added, not wanting to be rude.

“And who is requesting this audience?” he answered in a stony voice.

“Dream Catcher.”

The guard stared at her for a moment before glancing over to her companion on the right. He gave a small nod, and the guard slipped inside the doors.

“Wait here. We’ll let you know if your request is answered.”

Dream Catcher sighed in relief and backed away a few paces. She sat down and pulled out the loaf of bead in her pack, breaking off a piece and gobbling it up. Now all she had to do was wait.

Luna was bored out of her mind listening to the daily weather reports of the nation. Sure she knew they were important, but most of the major concerns for the day were daytime occurrences. There was literally nothing for her to contribute, so she sat by her sister’s side and tried not to fall asleep.

She had stayed up much later than she was used to last night. For hours she had searched the dream worlds and the space between for the little filly. There was no sign of her, and after a while she was forced to give up for the night. She couldn’t help but worry about her. Was she alright? Hopefully she hadn’t done anything that had brought harm to the little one.

A small knock on the meeting room door drew everyone’s attention away from the old Pegasi’s chart.

“Forgive us Meteo, but would it be possible to interrupt thine lecture for a moment?” Celestia asked. The old stallion nodded respectfully, placing his pointing stick down on the table. Both princesses bowed their heads to him before standing up. The door to the room opened slightly and a guard walked in.

“Pardon the interruption your highnesses, but someone has requested an audience.”

Luna had to stop herself from rolling her eyes. This new idea her sister had put in place was making things difficult around the palace. Any pony could interrupt a meeting with an audience request nowadays. Years ago no pony would have been so bold as to demand a meeting.

“Who doth wish to meet with us?” Celestia asked.

“A little filly, to be honest,” the guard answered sheepishly. Luna’s ears perked up.

“Didst they give a name?” she asked quickly, catching her sister off guard with her sudden interest.

“Yes princess,” the guard answered, also surprised at the Princess of the Night’s sudden attention. “She said her name was Dream Catcher.”

Luna looked over at her sister, and they stared at each other in wonder. After a moment her older sister turned back and nodded to the guard. He bowed respectfully and left the room.

“We apologize for the sudden interruption,” Celestia said to Meteo, “but thine report shall have to continue some other time. The present issue warrants our utmost attention.”

“As you wish princess,” he replied, bowing again before gathering up his charts. Luna quickly exited the room and began to walk towards the grand hall.

“I knew it,” Luna whispered to her sister as they trotted onwards, “I knew she would come!”

Celestia was silent. So this little one that Luna had been gushing about last night had finally appeared. Time to find out if she really could live up to her expectations.

The sound of the door creaking open caught Dream Catcher’s attention. She stood quickly, placing the remains of her bread back in the pack. The guard who appeared whispered something into the other’s ear. He nodded solemnly and turned his head back to her.

“Dream Catcher, was it?” he asked, and she nodded. “Please follow me.”

She beamed and ran up to him, slowing down to a walk as they entered the hall. The floors, walls, pillars, and even the ceiling were made a shining white marble, and a number of multicolored banners and rugs gave the room a splash of life. Sun streamed in through the glass windows, giving the room a holy sort of feel. Dream Catcher dared not speak within these walls. She didn’t feel worthy.

She followed the guard through a number of hallways, and soon she couldn’t remember which way they had come. She hoped she would remember how to get back out. Getting lost in the royal palace didn’t seem like a good thing to do.

As they turned one final corner the room opened up suddenly to reveal a grand hall. The windows in here were colored, depicting different historical images within their panes. She saw an image of a great beast, made up of all sorts of creatures, and two alicorns fighting against it. Across the hall was another, this time of the two alicorns from before but standing atop a grand hill as ponies all around cheered. There were many other scenes, but she did not have time to examine them. The two figures sitting at the front of the room had captured her attention.

On the right sat a tall white alicorn, her wings folded at her sides. Her pink mane cascaded down her back, and a matching tail was folded against her side. Atop her head stood a golden tiara, and around her neck and on her hooves were similar garments. She had a kind face, but Dream Catcher could tell there was something else there. She seemed guarded almost, but against what she did not know.

The mare on the left, however, was the one that truly caught her attention. It was the exact same mare from her dream. From her light purple mane to her navy coat she was exactly as she had been, though this time she had a silver tiara and matching neck and hoof pieces like the other princess. Her face was much easier to read. It betrayed an excitement that threatened to burst out of her at any second.

“Your highnesses,” the guard declared, startling Dream Catcher. She had forgotten he was there. “May I present Dream Catcher.”

“We thank thee,” the white alicorn answered in a regal tone. “Wouldst thou permit us time alone to speak to the young one?”

The guard bowed and exited the hall. No one said anything for a moment. Dream Catcher had no idea how to even start. What should she say?

Luna couldn’t pull her eyes away from the little earth pony standing before her. It was incredible that this small filly, with her light brown coat and dark red mane, had managed a trip here by herself! She had courage that much was obvious. Or she was very foolhardy. The little golden eyes stared back at her with as much curiosity and wonder as she felt herself.

“Welcome little one,” Celestia finally spoke, breaking the stalemate between them. “We’ve been expecting you.”

“I know,” Dream Catcher replied. “I-I mean, I figured you were, since the princess asked me to come and all.”

Come on, Dream Catcher scolded herself mentally. Focus. You need to focus on why you’re here.

“We did,” Luna replied, standing and walking down the steps to greet her. “Though we must admit thine journey surprises us. Pray tell, where art thine parents?”

“Oh…well, I didn’t tell them I was coming.”

Luna stopped in front of her. She had run away from home? She had feared something like this would happen.

“Why not?” Celestia asked, walking up beside her sister. Dream Catcher looked over at her for a moment before turning back to Luna.

“I tried to tell them about my dream, but they wouldn’t believe me! I didn’t have a choice…”

Celestia looked over at her sister and noticed the pained expression on her face. She truly felt regret about the situation. She hated to see her sister so sad when such a moment should be one of joy.

“Dream Catcher,” she began, “wouldst thou prefer that we talk to thine parents?”

Dream Catcher and Luna both looked over at her in shock at the same moment.

“You want to talk to my parents?” the little filly replied in awe. Celestia smiled.

“But of course! We would hate for them to be worried about you. Dost thou not agree sister?”

“Of course,” Luna answered, catching on to what her sister meant. “We should send them a message, to let them know of thine safe arrival.”

“Actually sister,” Celestia interrupted, “we were thinking that thou should escort Dream Catcher home and speak to her parents in person.”

Luna blinked. “Come again?”

“Is it not only fair that her parents be made aware of the situation by the one who started it?”

Luna had to hold back her indignation. To think that she was calling her out, and in front of this little filly! She said nothing for a moment, thinking deeply about the idea before letting out a sigh.

“Thou hast a point,” she admitted before looking back up at Dream Catcher. “Wouldst thou permit us to accompany you back home?”

“Really?” Dream Catcher nearly squealed. Luna couldn’t help the smile that came to her face.

“It would be an honor to meet the family of such a gifted little pony,” she replied, giving a small bow. Dream Catcher couldn’t hold back her squeal this time. Celestia chuckled.

“We shall handle the discourses of the day here sister. Dream Catcher, how far is thine home from here?”

Dream Catcher had to think for a moment. To be honest she wasn’t sure how far it was, but then she remember the map in her pack. She reached back and grabbed it, rolling it out on the floor in front of the princesses.

“I live over here,” she answered, pointing to a spot just east of the forest. Luna was surprised. That was a long journey for someone so young, and on foot no less.

“Thou should be able to reach thine destination by nightfall, shouldst thou hurry to leave,” Celestia mused, looking back up at her sister. Luna nodded in response and used her magic to roll the map back and place it back into Dream Catcher’s pack.

“A flight should take less than that,” she began, but noticed the suddenly panicked look on Dream Catcher’s face. “What is the matter little one?”

“We’re going to fly?”

“Tis the fastest way to reach our destination.”

“But I’ve never flown before…”

Luna sighed. Of course. As an earth pony she would not be accustomed to the heights of the Pegasi. This journey really was going to take until nightfall. Oh well, a walk would do her legs some good.

Author's Note:

Our little filly and the Princesses finally come face to face! Looks like Luna and Dream Catcher are going to get a little bonding time though as they travel back home.