• Published 23rd Apr 2013
  • 1,126 Views, 39 Comments

Equestrian Earth: The Changeling War - Draconis187



When an expansion to the popular MMORPG comes out, players flock to get their hooves on it. Little do they know of the events that are about to unfold.

  • ...
0
 39
 1,126

A Changeling's guide to starting out

Equestrian Earth: The Changeling War
A Changeling's guide to starting out
Author: Draconis187

“Well, might as well get started,” Star Seeker commented as the group half dragged the reluctant Changeling through the bustling sky city.

“We’ll get you on your first quest after we’ve shown you around,” Joystick replied as the group passed a few Griffons who gave Seeker a few odd looks.

“Why did you choose a Changeling of all creatures?” Mixer asked as the four of them walked towards a white marble building that stood two storeys tall and was pretty small compared to the towering behemoths around it.

“It’s the closest you can get to an Alicorn. After all, wings and magic? Who wouldn’t want that?” The Changeling grinned maliciously.

“True but your magic and flight are weaker as a result in order to balance out the race,” Joystick commented as a maroon pony walked up to them.

She was a unicorn mare with a light pink mane that was slightly hidden under a wide brimmed, baby blue hat with a long pale green feather sticking out of the side. She was wearing an equally blue dress with small, fabric flowers stitched in along the hem line. The stitching had a vine pattern to them as it held the dress together. Her Cutie Mark was hidden under the dress at all times so none of the four adventurers knew what it was.

“I am Madame Show Worthy, at your service!” The unicorn declared proudly in a Prance accent as she bowed to the adventurers, “And welcome to ze Show Stoppers Boutique!”

“Uh, pardon?” The Changeling was asked nervously as a large number of measuring tapes and various colourful fabrics began to fly around the room.

Joystick rolled his eyes, “You’ve played RPGs right?” Seeker nodded, “Well, you know every adventurer can’t run out stark naked and expect to survive for more than a few seconds. You need armour and Tailors make light armour for a few classes including yours. Just look at yourself for Celestia’s sake!”

The Changeling looked down and realised he - indeed - had nothing to help him survive the harsh virtual reality world of Equestrian Earth. Nor did he have a weapon to defend himself with. He could try using his fangs but he’d probably just end up breaking his jaw and the fangs in the process.

The Changeling was picked up by the unicorn’s magic and was reluctantly taken upstairs as his holed hooves flailed about. The three ponies laughed as they heard a variety of shouts and squeals that came from the protesting Changeling. The boutique had five ponyquins standing by the window, each wearing a different make of light armour. One was an elegant floral pink dress with a hat that resembled Show Worthy’s.

The shop itself wasn’t entirely special, white walls, two pale red couches for patrons to wait patiently on. There was a table nearby with a few books that should help newbies and a few with old mare’s tales for the experienced adventurer. The group realised that the shouting and protesting stopped as Solace was reading about ‘Crystal Keys’. Very rare keys that unlocked Crystal Chests but both would be very difficult to locate. The pounding of hooves on the staircase above introduced the newly armoured Changeling.

His armour mainly consisted of a menagerie of bug shells strapped to his body. It was mainly comprised of light blue chitin with woollen padding underneath. The chitinous plating covered his hooves, his back as well as his neck but left his head exposed. He was wearing a white leather hat with a long red feather sticking out of the side. His teal mane was still visible as it hung down on the right side of his head. The back plates had two holes in the top for his wings and covered his flank completely.

The parts that weren’t covered by the chitin were covered by thin, durable pieces of light green cloth. He had a chestplate that had two shells sticking out to the sides, like a pair of wings. In the centre of the plate was the symbol that Joystick had on his chest. Despite its heavy appearance, it was quite light in weight.

<----> ---- ---- <---->

Armour Acquired!
Changeling Vanguard
Light Armour
34 Defence
+3 to Sight
+1 to Accuracy
+2 to Speed

<----> ---- ---- <---->

“C'est magnifique!” Show Worthy stated as she walked past Star Seeker with a grin on her face, “’e was… how you say? Difficult.”

Joystick chuckled as Seeker looked at his armour, “That’s Seeker to a tee.”

“I look utterly ridiculous…” Seeker began to say but Joystick threw his arm around the Changeling’s neck, his grin growing wider.

“Nah, you look fine. Now we need to get you a weapon so you can be a proper adventurer!” The yellow armoured unicorn declared as the group ventured out of the shop and further into Aeroslida’s business District.

“Hold it!” The group turned around as Show Worthy stood outside her shop, tapping her hoof on the ground impatiently, “You still ‘ave to pay for ze armour.”

“Oh, sorry. How m-?” Seeker was cut off as Solace stepped forward.

“Think of it as returning the favour, Show Worthy,” The Pegasus said with a smirk.

The boutique owner looked shocked for a second as her eyes bulged slightly. She regained her composure and nodded her head before entering her boutique without another word.

“What was that about?” Seeker asked, curious as to what just happened.

“I did a quest for her a while back and the reward was that she would let me have a suit of armour for free,” Solace replied as the group resumed their walk, “The downside was that I use medium armour, not light so she agreed to owe me a favour instead. Good thing she remembered.”

The local weaponsmith - Iron Clad - was more than happy to show the Changeling his selection of wares but melee weapons were far out of Seeker’s league and class. He tried a bow but it flew backwards and slammed into his muzzle as he tried to draw it. A crossbow seemed like a decent candidate but it wasn’t fast enough and the bolt kept falling out of the groove. In the end, he went for one of the newest weapons that came out in the expansion: Bow Guns.

The game’s manual describes Bow Guns as the unholy offspring of crossbows and technology. They were also very versatile weapons, capable of using a variety of ammunition to deal with various situations. The guns were always comprised of three individual and interchangeable parts: Barrel, Stock and Frame. Each part has its own capabilities which add to the gun’s overall stats. The downside was that you couldn’t change parts while in the field. It was only possible when in camp or in one of the cities or towns. Each configuration could only hold a certain number of rounds before needing to reload and they could only take certain kinds of ammunition which depended on the configuration of the Stock, Barrel and Frame.

Seeker searched through Iron Clad’s entire stock and hung his head in defeat, “I like these Bow Guns… but they just don’t feel right.”

The group looked at each other for a few seconds before Solace came to the Changeling’s aid, “Come with us. I think I know what the problem is. Besides, we were going to show you this place anyway.”

Seeker apologised to Iron Clad who simply shrugged the rejection as if it were nothing. He was no stranger to adventurers - new and old – coming into his store, only to leave without buying anything. While the quality of his work was high, he couldn’t cater to everypony’s needs.

The group walked down one of Aeroslida’s streets, watching as an adventurer was told he failed a quest by an NPC. The mare was crying as she ran down the street, pushing several ponies out of the way as she ran out of sight. The group looked at each other with the synonymous ‘oh shi-’ look.

The streets were starting to get crowded as more and more players went online. There were Griffons of various sizes and breeds as well as ponies of various colours. One thing that made the situation rather uncomfortable for Star Seeker was the lack of Changelings. He only saw at least another two walking through the sky city but they were too far away for him to get a proper look.

“Seeker,” The Changeling whipped his head around as he was too engrossed in his thoughts to realise he was walking past a building the others were already entering. Joystick looked worried as he walked to his friend’s side, “Are you alright?”

He shook his head, “Not really. I thought that with this new expansion, other ponies would play as my kin to better understand what it is like to be a Changeling. But… I was nothing but a foal.”

“Look, I’m sure they just have a few quests to finish or maybe they are going to tell their friends first about changing species,” The Unicorn said unconvincingly, “The expansion is still new so there could be a number of reasons. Come now let’s get a smile on your face and a weapon in your hooves.”

The pair walked into the white building, only to be assaulted by various shouts, banging and the odd, loud whine. The building was huge… it made the entrance hall to Canterlot Castle seem the size of a common lavatory. There were wooden benches with various metals, pelts, ores and pieces of parchment strewn all over them. Ponies grabbed the various materials, placing them into several strange presses to cut them or into a kiln to heat up the metals. One had a cauldron with a column of light purple smoke billowing from whatever concoction was inside.

The pair found Solace and Mixer by one of the workstations, arguing. The workstation had an image of a bow crossed with a quiver.

“Look, he needs speed over power. It’s why he didn’t go for the crossbow,” Solace argued.

“No, have you ever heard the saying: ‘might means right’?” The staff wielding pony retorted as the both of them failed to notice Joystick and Seeker walking up to them.

“Speed!”

“Power!”

“Ladies! Ladies please, you’re both pretty so stop fighting!” The Unicorn shouted, causing the two to turn towards him, “How about we let Seeker choose, hm? It is going to be his gun isn’t it?”

The two looked to each other and nodded in agreement. After they mumbled their apologies, Seeker was pulled into Solace’s workstation. The table before him was covered in wooden parts, metal strips and some brass bolts. On their left were several small hammers, pliers and some wood carving knives.

“There is a reason to why those Bow Guns felt wrong,” Solace began as he picked up a log of greenish brown wood and measured it, “They must be custom made. Each part must be tailored to each individual. It’s also why they aren't too popular with players as buying custom Bow Guns tends to be expensive.”

“Then why did Iron Clad stock some? I'm sure with hi-” Seeker asked as Solace examined the Changeling’s body structure before pulling out a small book from his inventory, “Uh, what is that?”

Solace snapped out of his trance as he drew a few lines into the book with a pencil, “Hm? Oh this? It’s a handy little book you get when you get a job. It’s great for doing designs, making calculations and any thing else where a book is needed.”

“And what is it you’re doing?” The Changeling asked as a small hammer flew past them from a nearby workstation, making Mixer walk off in the direction it came from. Seconds later, he returned with a grin on his face.

“The guy says he’s sorry.”

Joystick rolled his eyes, “And I guess the fact that I saw a red Griffon limping out of here and looking like a freight train hit him in the face had nothing to do with it?”

“Nah, he’s his brother,” The Unicorn replied with a snide grin.

Joystick looked at Solace who only grinned as he responded, “Sure he is.”

Solace returned his attention to the Changeling before him, “Now then, what are you looking for in this weapon? Power? Precision? Speed? Versatility?”

Seeker pondered the question for a few seconds before responding, “I’d like precision more than anything else. A well placed shot could make a world of difference.”

Solace nodded and wrote down a few more notes into his book. A small explosion rocked the building, throwing items and creating rainbow coloured smog that engulfed the entire interior. Visibility was a laugh, nopony could see past their own muzzles, let alone see the player next to them.

“Sorry!” A small voice called out as ponies coughed and some could be heard trying to run out of the building.

“So, how often does that happen?” Seeker asked as his three compatriots didn’t seem affected by the smog.

“Every once in a while. It’s just a failed cooking experiment,” Joystick replied as the smog began to slowly dissipate.

“Makes working a pain in the flank if you ask me,” Solace complained as he was at least able to see his workstation once more, “Now, give me a few minutes here and I’ll make you something that’ll send your enemies packing!”

Seeker felt some pressure on his side and turned around to see Joystick leaning on his carapace armour, “I need to show you a few more areas anyway before we induct you.”

“Induct me?” The Changeling repeated back in confusion.

Joystick responded by giving his friend a duck face, “You’ll see.”

The pair left Solace and Mixer in the Crafting Hall as the sign outside proclaimed to the Changeling. Joystick was uncharacteristically tight-lipped about this ‘induction’ as he put it earlier. The Unicorn just smiled as the Changeling pressed him for information and refused to respond. They stopped outside a store with a sign consisting of a green laurel wreath with a thin alchemist’s vial in the centre. Underneath it read: ‘Berry Dreams’ Brews’.

Inside the shop looked like a botanist’s nightmare given life, gigantic plants used as supporting pillars with thorns the size of Seeker’s head protruding from them. Some of the plants had fearsome teeth in place of flowers, grinning as the pair walked past. Just walking through the shop was enough to make Seeker nervous. One the far side of the shop floor was a counter made entirely from intertwining, red vines. It looked structurally unsound and yet there was a heavy looking wooden box on the counter, safe as houses.

“Welcome, welcome. What can I do for you?” A sky blue Earth Pony asked as she came from around the corner, making Seeker jump. The pony blew her golden mane out of her face as it obstructed her view.

“I am Joystick and this is my favourite place on Aeroslida!” The Unicorn replied smugly as he looked at the frazzled Changeling.

The Earth Pony giggled, “Sure, whatever you say. The usual assortment like always, Joystick?”

“Please Berry. Do you have anything for Changelings?” He replied, pointing to Seeker as Berry Dreams went under the vine counter and opened a cupboard that sat beneath it.

She stopped for a second before muttering something incoherently, flinging various herbs and bottles onto the counter without even looking up. Several clangs and an assortment of bottles with indescribable labels later, Berry Dreams’ head popped out from under the counter. She smiled as Joystick merely picked them up and placed them into some pockets in his armour that Seeker couldn’t see nor find.

“There you go,” She beamed as joystick took out a couple of bits to pay the Earth Pony, “I’ve had to add 40 bits to the price for your friend.”

Seeker looked on as Joystick only nodded in response, “Can somepony tell me what is going on here?”

Berry looked at Joystick accusingly as his ears fell flat against his head with a sheepish grin on his face, “You didn’t tell him did you? Ugh, you’re impossible! Ok, I am Berry Dreams. I run this store which stocks and makes potions, elixirs, that sort of thing to help adventurers. They can either heal you, make you attack faster or even get an increase to finding more or rarer items from mobs.”

Seeker then nodded, “Thanks, that clears up everything. So you’re a cook?”

“If you’re talking about crafting professions, I am in a sense. I’m just an NPC that supplies players,” Berry shrugged, “Anything else for you two?”

Joystick handed a few vials with brown, tar-like liquid inside them to Seeker, “No thanks Berry. I’ll come back once we run out again.”

Berry rolled her eyes, “I can hardly wait.”

The Unicorn just laughed as he left the shop, leaving the Changeling behind as he looked at the vials in his magical grip. He could see his face reflected in the clear glass. He shook his head and saw Joystick waiting for him by the entrance.

“I’ll be back now. I just have a few questions for Berry,” He deadpanned.

Joystick nodded, “Ok, I’ll wait for you at the Crafting Hall with the others. Swing by when you’re done.”

Berry watched as the Unicorn left her store, “So then my little Changeling, what can I do for you?”

He placed the vials near his body, causing them to vanish into his inventory, “I would like to know more about potion making.”

“Then you best take up Cooking since it follows the same principles. It’s useful for making potions but also other items. Food and drinks that bestow effects that potions can not is the staple of Cooking adventurers,” Berry stated as she began searching the bottom counter once more, “Go ask the Master Craftspony in the Crafting Hall to take up the profession. Here, this book has a few basic recipes. If you decide against becoming a Cook and don’t use it, please give it back.”

Seeker took the book out of Berry’s hooves and added it to his inventory, “Have you seen any other Changelings around Aeroslida?”

“No NPC Changelings if that’s who you’re looking for,” She replied thoughtfully as she scratched her chin, “I did see a player near the Crafting Hall a short time back.”

“Thank you,” Seeker thanked as he left with his new book.

The trip back to the Crafting Hall resulted in Seeker getting lost in the winding streets of Aeroslida. He regretted not noting where he was going with Joystick when they were walking to Berry Dreams’ Brews. A mini-map would have been helpful but due to the developer’s desire to make the game as real as possible, they got rid of them in favour of conventional maps. As Seeker considered his next move, a large grey Griffon bumped into him with enough force to knock him to the ground.

“What’s a bug like you doing here?” The predator asked with a malicious grin, “Got lost?”

“Uh, I’m just passing through. I’m looking for the Crafting Hall,” The Changeling replied nervously, getting up and backing away slowly as the Griffon began to advance.

Attacking other players outside of PvP matches was forbidden and may result in the banning or suspension of the players’ accounts. The Griffon had a large two-clawed Griffon Warhammer. It was obsidian in colour with pale blue pathways of light running along the head and the handle. It radiated a cool air around itself. An armed, angry looking Griffon versus an unarmed Changeling newbie scared Seeker as nopony looked their way to even help them.

The Griffon slowly readied his hammer, dragging it along the ground menacingly. Seeker could really have done with a save from one of his friends. As the Griffon picked up the hammer to strike him, a large pale silver blur collided with his face. The Griffon was thrown across the floor, his hammer flying out of his grasp and into the ground with a thud.

The blur turned out to be a Changeling, covered in similar armour to Seeker’s. The main difference was that the armour was thinner and pale silver with maroon edging. The Changeling had a pair long, one-hoofed longswords shaped like a harpoons with a hooked tip. The Changeling sheathed the blades and walked up to Seeker.

“The sun rises at midnight,” Seeker’s saviour said in a feminine voice.

Seeker was shocked as the Changeling used a code that only real Changelings knew, “And the light of the moon is a lie.”

“Nice to meet another Changeling. My name is Illusion,” She said, extending her hoof.

“Star Seeker,” He replied, hoof bumping Illusion.

“Shall we get going?” She asked as the Griffon groaned, trying to get up.

“Good idea. Do you know where the Crafting Hall is?” He asked as Illusion took to the skies.

She nodded and smiled, “Follow me.”

The pair of Changelings fled the scene as the Griffon finally got back to his feet. He muttered a small curse as he dusted himself off and walked off into the city. The air around the city was filled with Griffons and Pegasi. The pair of armoured Changelings stuck out through the crowd very easily. The pair soon landed just outside the entrance to the Crafting Hall, causing a few ponies to look their way before attending to their own affairs.

“Well, here we are,” Illusion stated as Star Seeker walked in.

“Wait, you’re not coming with?” He asked as Illusion hadn’t moved an inch.

She shook her head, “Sorry but no. If you ever need some help, just send me a message. Until then, may your journey bring you fortune.”

“To you as well Illusion,” He replied, grinning slightly, “I am honoured to call you a friend.”

And with that, the two parted ways. Illusion flew off into the distance as the sun was beginning to set over Aeroslida. It gave the city’s glittering marble an orange hue as NPCs began to close up their shops and taverns were becoming rowdier as players began to meet up for a hearty drink.

Joystick snuck up to Star Seeker from behind and prodded him with the pommel of his sword, “So who was that? A marefriend perhaps?”

“No, a Changeling. Like me,” He responded, “Illusion.”

“Oh, okay. Solace finished your gun a few minutes ago. He’s very proud of it,” Joystick informed the Changeling as they walked up to the bench where Solace had been working on the Bow Gun in question.

Mixer came up to them, looking rather wound up, “Just take that thing off him. He’s done nothing but brag over the ruddy thing and it’s starting to get on my nerves. Good thing we’re going to head out soon.”

Joystick looked towards the doorway, lost in thought, “Well, the sun is setting now and some nasty monsters in the Everfree will be coming out around this time.”

Mixer scoffed, “I can handle some Timberwolves and Manticores.”

Solace walked up to the three and tossed the new rifle at Seeker. He managed to catch the weapon and examine what the Pegasus made for him. The wood from the greenish brown log he had earlier, carved into the shape of a rifle butt and made up most of the Stock. The Frame was a mixture of brass, silver and wood. Perched on the top was a round metal cylinder with glass on either side. It had a crossbow’s bowstave (also known as a prod) running vertically instead of horizontally with a small metallic brick slotted into the side. Seeker pulled it out and found some round, gun-metal grey pointed slugs of metal inside. The Barrel was quite thin but long, about as long as a shortsword. Under the barrel was a small, serrated dagger underneath it.

<----> ---- ---- <---->

Weapon Acquired!
Darkslayer
25 base damage
+10 damage during the night cycle
+2% chance for critical damage
+9 damage vs. air targets

Ammunition available
Normal
Buckshot
Hellfire
Hydro
Aero

<----> ---- ---- <---->

“Thanks,” Seeker said as he found the hinges and folded the Bow Gun before placing it on his back.

“Perfect, now for the induction,” Joystick said with a grin.

Mixer looked at him and rolled his eyes, “You don’t have to so dramatic. It’s not like we’re going to make him do something stupid or anything.”

Solace threw his arm around the Unicorn, “Don’t be like that! Learn to have some fun Mixer!”

Mixer glared at Solace, “I will… once you get off me. This armour isn’t very comfortable when somepony is lying on top of you.”

Solace removed his arm and walked up to Joystick’s left while Mixer was on the right. Joystick looked at Seeker, his expression deadly serious, “Seeker, what I am about to ask of you will test your mind body and soul to their limits. Do you pledge to support us as we will support you in any endeavour we may find ourselves in?”

“Uh, yes?” The Changeling replied in slight confusion.

Joystick carried on, “Do you pledge to surrender items that are of no use to you to your fellow team mates who can make use of them?”

“Uh-huh.”

Joystick looked to the two ponies on his sides who nodded their heads, “Star Seeker, Engineer, Changeling and spawn of evil... Congrats, you’re in.”

“In what?” He asked, now thoroughly confused.

“In our guild! Divine Retribution!” Joystick replied matter-of-factly, “Mixer here is a Crystal Mage, Solace is a Hunter and I’m a Paladin.”

“I still don’t follow,” The Changeling remarked as the group left the Crafting Hall.

Joystick sighed as he began to explain, “A Paladin is a subcategory of the Warrior class and are able to heal allies as well as deal damage. Hunters are specialised Rangers, good with tracking and killing feral mobs. Crystal Mages are a subdivision of Mages, using crystals instead of an element to attack or defend.”

“Okay, so now what?” He asked as the four of them began to exit the building.

“Now it’s time,” Solace answered.

Seeker cocked his head to the side in response, “Time for what?”

Joystick raised his hooves into the air, his sword out of its scabbard and pointing to the dark sky. A holy light came down from above, illuminating the Unicorn as he bellowed into the night, “Adventure time!”