• Published 7th Feb 2012
  • 3,712 Views, 53 Comments

Eventide Falls - errant



Celestia may be immune to her enemies, but her friends are not.

  • ...
12
 53
 3,712

Chapter 2

Sunlight filtered through the elegant stained-glass windows of the throne room to lay in pools around the regal form of the winged unicorn, the light of day mingling with the aurora of that being’s mane. The five young ponies gathered at the base of the dais were more than a little awestruck, for it was not everyday that one came into the presence of Princess Celestia, who had ruled in this land for more than a thousand years. Celestia smiled a little to herself, knowing their nervousness was also based in the fact that they had left their friend and her student, Twilight Sparkle, to recover from her recent illness and answer her summons. She rather hoped to resolve that sentiment shortly.

“Well, my young friends, I’m sure you are all wondering why I asked you to come all the way to Canterlot at a time like this, when you would rather be watching over Twilight in her illness,” she began, forcing the five out of their respective thoughts. “I promise I have an excellent reason for this request. I need your help with something important,” she continued.

“Important! What could be more important than being with our friend?” exclaimed the vibrant-hued Rainbow Dash, before abruptly falling silent, ashamed to have contradicted her ruler in her own throne room.

How appropriate, coming from the Element of Loyalty…

“Don’t worry, my task will not take you from her. Let me explain,” she said, gazing down into five sets of upturned eyes. “I have certainly not been remiss in visiting Twilight while she has been bedridden, but I fear we have all become so focused on nursing our dear friend that we have forgotten that her birthday draws near. I had wished to have her celebration here, at the castle, but I don’t think she will be up to traveling the distance by then.”

“Twilight’s birthday party! Is that what you need our help with? You came to the right pony for a party!” bubbled the exuberant Pinkie Pie.

Celestia inclined her head graciously, and continued. “You are correct. Given the circumstances, I think a small affair with her closest friends will be more to her liking and less taxing on her energy.”

“Something refined and quiet, I should think would be in order,” input the purple-maned and elegantly groomed mare seated with the rest, while a yellow-toned pegasus nodded shy assent.

“I’m glad you agree, Rarity and Fluttershy. With all that being said, perhaps we can get down to the matter of planning for our friend’s surprise,” said Celestia. “I was thinking that perhaps,” she continued, but the words died stillborn as the enormous doors to the throne room burst open and one of her royal guards hurried down the length of the hall, his steps hastened by the gaze of his monarch. He fell, trembling, to his knees at the base of the throne, prostrating himself.

Celestia’s heart grew cold in her, while the five ponies looked on in confusion, for she knew this atypical behavior could only herald news she did not want to hear. She forced as much warmth and reassurance into her voice as she could as she ordered him to report what troubled him so badly.

Visibly steeling himself, he met the princess’s gaze. “Its about your student, you Majesty. Twilight Sparkle. She’s dead.”