• Published 5th Feb 2012
  • 1,804 Views, 24 Comments

Strange New World - Conor Colton



There are dark times for Equestria, and their only hope for survival, is in a world beyond their own.

  • ...
4
 24
 1,804

The Accused

Strange New World
Chapter Twelve: The Accused

Chris and Marshall stood with gaping jaws at the sight in front of them. The two stallions never really cared for one another but in this instance all that prejudice and misplaced hate vanished and the two stood as one, both in bewilderment and sudden realization.

“...You don’t think...Slim?” Chris asked as he turned his head towards the imposing figure of Marshall. The pony of the law sighed as he relieved himself from the sight before them. He looked to the ground with a slight frown before turning towards Chris to give his reply.

“...Seems likely...I...don’t wanna believe it but...I dun see anypony having access to this place ‘cept Slim...and the door wasn’t busted...from what I see that’s the only way in here too...” Marshall didn’t even finish as he looked at the ground once more.

Chris looked at the wall again and saw the crude drawing of the red eyes almost stare into his very soul as he recoiled in discomfort; the stallion knew who had put their claw into this situation.

“Listen, Marshall, maybe there’s more to this...Slim probably isn’t feeling himself...I mean he’s acting normal now, he went to hang out with the gi-” Chris stopped himself as Marshall took his gaze away from the floor and looked right at Chris with wide eyes, Chris returned the glare. “The girls...” Chris stated as the two of them rushed for the door.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They exited the rusty old building and made a mad dash towards the center of town again, “Where did they go?!” Chris asked hectically as Marshall breathed heavily and responded.

“I ain’t got no idea! Slim likes to hang around at the saloon but he checks in on Cherry in the hotel every hour or so! I can’t see ‘em being anywhere else!” Marshall stated as he began breaking off towards the hotel, “Split up! Find ‘im! He’s gotta have answers!” The law figure retorted as he ran one way and Chris ran the other.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marshall nearly broke down the door of the hotel as he rushed in, as he did he saw Cherry at the front desk, “Cherry! Have ya seen Slim?! And where are those girls?!” Marshall demanded to know.

“Well they’re upstairs relaxing in their room, all of ‘em. Saw ‘em myself” Cherry started as she took a slightly hefty breath inward, “Twilight, Rarity, Spike, Zecora, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie!” She stated with a grin. Marshall’s eyes were wide with concern as he asked another question.

“What about that mare Slim is sweet on? The one with the hat?!” He once again demanded to know. Cherry looked perplexed as she realized she had miscounted.

“Oh cherry apples, I forgot, Applejack’s out with Slim. They are mighty cute together, huh?” Cherry questioned as Marshal was noticeably sweating.

“Where, Cherry?!” Marshall exploded.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris slammed through the flapping doors of the Saloon and looked about frantically for any sign of Slim. His eyes turned to the bar of the establishment and saw two ponies, Slim and Applejack.

Slim had a hoof on the mare’s cheek, and another in one of his pockets. Chris gasped as he bolted straight for the earth pony stallion, jumping in the air and tackling Slim over the counter of the bar; shattering a few bottles and leaving a certain mare bewildered.

“Ack! What’s the deal, buddy?!” Slim exclaimed as he wriggled and squirmed underneath Chris. Applejack looked over with concern and attempted to lift Chris off of the deputy pony.

“Chris, ‘av you gone nuts?!” She asked as she continued pulling at Chris’ jacket and back area. Applejack managed to remove Chris off of Slim just as the brony belted out his explanation.

“AJ! We found explosives in a place Slim had access to! We think he blew the track!” Chris stated as he wrestled out of the mare’s grip. Slim sat up a few feet away and responded nervously.

“What?! This is crazy talk!” The deputy exclaimed as AJ looked at him with wide eyes and slightly open mouth.

“Slim is this...is this true?” Applejack asked, hardly believing the situation herself, “You...why would you...I thought you...we...” She stammered.

“Look! I didn’t do nothing to no track with no dynamite!” Slim retorted as he got to his hooves and stood back.

Applejack’s gaze narrowed as he eyes became slightly wet, “...Chris never said, dynamite...” AJ answered as Slim got more and more nervous, he backed up into a counter and knocked his hat off to reveal sweat on his brow. Chris got up and took a step forward towards the backing up pony.

“...Look this is crazy! I can’t listen to this, I’m gettin’ outta here!” Slim shouted as he leaped over the counter and made a beeline for a nearby door, Chris went to give chase but it would seem he didn’t have to.

Before Slim made it to the door the wooden barrier was already swung open, by Marshall. Chris remained still, Applejack stepped forward slightly, Marshall looked down at Slim and the deputy stepped back and looked up, “...No you’re not going anywhere right now, Slim...We need to ask you a few things...Okay?” Marshall asked as Chris literally felt a lump in his throat as he waited for the response.

“O...o-okay Marshall...I...I didn’t do nothing...I...didn’t mea-” Slim stuttered before he was cut off by his superior.

“I know I know, Slim...just a formality is all...” Marshall stated as he looked at Chris, “Just a formality...Chris could you come see us later?” Marshall asked as Chris nodded in response.

The large law stallion nudged his head towards Slim’s hat, now on the floor. Chris went to pick it up but as he did, AJ did instead. The mare went over to Slim and placed it on his head carefully, her eyes not wanting to face him but tearing up all the same.

“Right...come on, boy...” Marshall stated with discontent as he led Slim out of the saloon, keeping a hoof on him at all times. AJ took a step back and kept her head down. Chris walked over and patted the mare’s shoulder.

“It’ll be okay, Appleja-” Chris was cut off by the mare walking over to the bar and sitting in the stool she previously occupied and sulking her head on the counter. Chris heard a faint sobbing from the mare as AJ raised a hoof at the bartender, who was visibly stunned by the situation.

“One please...” She asked nicely with a hint of sobbing in her dialect. Chris sighed and didn’t know what to do. He reached into his pockets and contemplated. As he did though he felt something in his jacket, he removed his hoof and saw nothing less than a few bits.

“Thanks Rarity.” The stallion thought as he sat on a stool next to Applejack’s. The mare looked over at him, still crying and sniffling slightly before wiping her eyes and nose area. The brony patted her shoulder once again and turned to the bartender, “One for me too, please...sorry about the bottles, I’ll make a tab.” The stallion ended.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris and Applejack sat in the same positions for a good ten minutes or so until the hatted mare put a few bits on the bar and walked out, not saying a word to our hero but instead a slight nod as she sauntered outside. Chris however remained and continued drinking from a half empty glass. The stallion looked around, seeing various ponies doing the same thing he was doing.

The brony sighed as he took another sip from the glass. Chris had no clue as to the contents of the drink but he had assumed it was somewhat alcoholic in nature which gave Chris the prime ingredients to mull over his entire situation in general, and how things weren’t exactly getting any better.

As the seated stallion took another sip he began to hear whispers inside his head, familiar ones, Royal ones. Chris looked up from the counter to see that the bartender had gone to other end of the bar and simply left Chris a bottle. In the previously occupied place stood yet another ethereal pony, in the shape of Celestia. Chris didn’t say a word and simply turned his head back to the counter.

“You’re upset, aren’t you?” Celestia asked, knowing fine rightly what the answer was. Chris sighed and simply nodded. The Princess spoke up again, “I would advise not talking very loudly in response to what I’m saying, it might look odd to others in the bar.” She advised, Chris nodding once more.

“You’re upset because you don’t know what you’re doing, why you’re doing it or why you’re here. Correct?” She questioned again, being followed by another nod from the brony. Chris couldn’t just sit there and nod away though. He looked around before muttering under his breath.

“Yeah...this whole situation is just messed up...I-I don’t know why I’m here and what purpose I have. All I seem to bring to ponies is bad news. I feel out of place here, I know I don’t belong, I don’t know why I’m here, I don’t know why I’ve been put into this situation...and I don’t even know how I’m holding this glass...it’s just...frustrating.” Chris replied as his head faced the counter again.

The sun Princess nodded in response and bent her neck down to get more face-to-face with our hero, “Sometimes in life we don’t understand where we are, or why we’re there or what we must do...but it’s how we act ourselves that shapes our future and our own happiness.” She started as Chris merely sighed.

“You are naturally frustrated, any sane po-...person would be...but Chris, a dark time is coming...a dark time is already here...it is up to Equestria to stand on it’s own four hooves now and to fight to preserve our land and what we stand for...but Equestria can’t do it alone.” Celestia continued as she paced back and forth.

“You, Chris. You may or may not know it yet but you are going to play a key role in Equestria’s future...you were taken here when nobody else was, you were given a form that nobody has ever had. You were given these for a reason, and you too must fight and prevail for Equestria, as everypony you see will have to. Like I said, it’s how we act that defines our futures, and if you continue sulking then your’s won’t have a positive outcome...nopony’s will.” She finished as she put a hoof between Chris and his glass.

The brony sighed and looked up at the large alicorn. He didn’t say a word, he simply looked her directly in the eyes, nodded and stood up, “You’re biggest strength, Chris, is that you are never alone.” Celestia concluded as her ghostly figure faded. Chris turned tail and made his way to Marshall’s office.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The stallion swung open the door to find Marshall staring directly at Chris from behind his desk, frowning slightly, “Hey...your...friends came by to see what was what...” He motioned towards all of Chris’ companions sitting on a nearby bench.

Chris nodded in appreciation and went over to the group. They were mostly silent and unmoving, that was until Chris stood forward. Applejack stood up and walked right over to him, hugging him lightly.

“Thanks...” AJ put just as lightly. The stallion patted her shoulder yet again, nodding and hugging back slightly before releasing her.

“Marshall told us what happened, he said you two suspect Slim of blowing the tracks. With that settled the work crews are already outside working to get it repaired, they’re being cautious though.” Twilight put in an organised manner.

“Yeah, we found dynamite in a place Slim had access to. Some mining company Slim’s family had, we found a trail leading from the crater. We looked for him and I found him in the saloon with Applejack...” Chris stated as he patted the hatted mare’s shoulder once again.

“AJ told us you totally took him over the counter in some mad charge.” Rainbow stated as her and Spike were both visibly approving of that little bit of information.

“I do hope nopony was hurt, must have been quite a sight I must admit though.” Rarity interjected as Pinkie jutted her head into the conversation.

“Was probably a waste of good cider though, did anything break?” She asked, Chris merely nodded and the poofy haired, pink pony made an audible, “Aww, what a waste.” statement.

“W-well, was anypony actually hurt?” Fluttershy asked in her typical timid style as Chris turned to her to respond.

“I don’t think so. Though Slim’s pride was probably hurt a bit, seeing as Marshall took him in himself.” The brony answered, keeping to what he saw at the time.

“Such drama on this noon, down in that saloon.” Zecora added, everypony nodding in unison.

“Hey uh...if you guys are all caught up...I was wondering if Chris would like to have a word with Slim...given that he helped catch him and all.” Marshall stated as Chris looked to his friends for clarification. They all shrugged slightly, not knowing what to think. The brony remembered Celestia’s words and responded to Marshall.

“Yeah I’ll see what I can do. Wish me luck, guys.” Chris stated as everypony nodded, some of them consisting of Twilight, AJ and Fluttershy giving him encouraging hugs. Marshall got up from his desk and lead the way over to a large metal door with a simple lock system. The law figure opened up said door and held it open for Chris.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The brony entered to see a small hallway with a single cell on one side, and a windowless wall on the other. The cell of course containing the accused, Slim Pickings.

Marshall kept minimal eye contact with the detained as he pulled a chair over for Chris. The brony nodded and sat a good few feet away from the bars of Slim’s cell; Marshall nodded also and proceeded to shut the door he came in as he left.

Chris and Slim were silent for a time, they were both making eye contact but neither of them said a word. Finally Chris broke this tension, “...Not looking too good for you, Slim.” Chris stated blankly.

“I know...but I have to ask you to trust me here...it wasn’t my fault...I dun have any reason to be blowing up no train tracks...ask anypony, they’ll tell you I’m alright. A bit rough around the edges they may say but I’m still a pony who wouldn’t do nothing like this! It’s complete horse apples!” Slim stated rather angrily.

“Slim, calm down.” Chris stated blankly once again.

“I know! Marshall told me the same thing. Well how can I be calm when everypony thinks I did it?...I didn’t do it, Chris...I swear it wasn’t me...Slim Pickings wouldn’t do that...” He replied to the brony behind the bars.

Chris thought for a second and came to a conclusion and a new question, “...Maybe Slim Pickings didn’t...” he thought. He then looked back over at the accused and uttered the next words with every amount of seriousness he had, keeping his eyes fixated on Slim’s at all times.

“Slim...I don’t know if you did or didn’t blow up the tracks...I don’t know if this evidence adds up, but I do know I have one question for you and one question only...” Chris started as he braced even himself for this, “What are the red eyes?” Chris asked.

Almost immediately, Slim visibly gulped and seemed a lot more on edge than before. During that one instance of Slim’s guard being down, Chris noticed something. That Slim’s iris’, flashed red for a second or two before reverting to normal.

“...I don’t know what you’re talking about...Marshall never asked me this...” Slim stated as Chris got all he had came to get. The brony stood up, knocked the door and was let out by Marshall.

“Thanks, Celestia, I may have some answers now.” The brony thought in silent triumph.

Chris paced over to his friends and Marshall and nodded slightly, “I think I got what I needed, me and the guys’ll just head on. That alright with everybody?” Chris asked, met with nods from everybody in his party, except one, “...AJ?” Chris wondered.

“Yeah...I’ll be fine...eventually. Let’s just go.” The hatted earth pony stated as she got to her hooves and was the first out the door, quickly followed by the rest of the group. As they exited the office, Chris tapped Rainbow Dash on the shoulder and asked directly.

“Any chance of more training tonight?” The brony asked eagerly, to which the rainbow haired mare puzzled over before nodding.

“No question, always time to brush up.” She stated with great vigor as they all made their way back to their respective hotel rooms. As they walked through the sandy streets of Dodge though, one of them, being Twilight, had to pose a question to our hero.

“Chris...you said back there that you got what you needed...what does that mean? What did Slim say?” The purple unicorn inquired. Everybody soon stopped and wondered the same thing before turning towards the stallion. Chris decided he might as well let them know since they would have a vague idea.

“...He didn’t say anything. I asked him about a message me and Marshall found in the same place we found the dynamite. It was a drawing that said ‘The red eyes tell me to do it’ or something like that. When I asked him that...his eyes flashed red. We all can guess what that means, right?” He asked, waiting for a response.

“Shade...” They all answered, except Fluttershy who let out a light meep. Chris then continued walking, nodding to everybody’s conclusion.

“Wait...can we see this message?” Spike wondered, wanting to see such a sight with his own two reptilian eyes.

“Uhh...sure, I suppose.” Chris stated as he began to lead everypony to the old mining building.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When they arrived, Twilight tilted her head slightly. Chris managed to spot this as they were about to enter, “What’s the matter?” He asked inquisitively.

“Nothing, just...this place feels wrong...probably because you told us what was in here.” She shrugged, still puzzling though.

Chris pressed a hoof against the door and opened it slowly, when he did however, he noticed something. Something that phased only him and him alone. The message was still on the wall, but the dynamite, was gone. Completely.

The brony stepped back and started breathing heavily, “Chris, what’s wrong?” Rarity asked with a concerned tone. The stallion looked back at the group and the now empty building, wide eyed and uttered a response.

“I need to check something...now!” Chris exclaimed as he rushed back to Marshall’s office.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Hehehehe...hehehe...hehehaha. HAHAhahaha!” A loud laughter was heard from the throne room of Canterlot castle. Shade, sat on his stolen throne, feeling actually pleased about current events. He continued laughing as a particular female wolf entered the room, standing next to him.

“Something funny, my Lord?” Ruby asked with a sly smirk. Shade grinned back at his mistress and began pacing down the throne’s stairs, being followed every step.

“Oh yes, my love. Indeed there is. The human, this, Chris has proved himself to be a rather cooperative little pawn. I may be out of his head for now but I can still find a way to get to him! Oh it’s so satisfying watching them prance around with their tails between their legs, thinking they’re making a difference.” Shade grimaced as he approached the large stained glass window.

“That human, and those pitiful ponies think they know it all. They think they’ve figured me out and know what it takes to defeat me...well...let them think. I will do some thinking of my own. And then, when the time is right, we strike...” Shade stated as he walked over to a set of old royal guard armor that was strewn across the ground, pressing a claw against the helmet.

The large black wolf grasped the helmet in his front right paw, lifting it off the ground and slowly making a fist with his claws. The helmet began to compact and crush under the force of Shade’s grip, until it became a small clump of metal. Shade opened his paw to reveal the small clump of metal ignited by a blue flame as it slowly turned to dust in his grasp, before Shade bursted into another foray of maniacal laughter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris dashed back to Marshall’s office with great haste as everybody else in his party followed closely behind. He slammed his way through the office door, spotting Marshall instantly at his desk and asked frantically and out of breath, “The dynamite! Did you...did you bring it back here?!” He demanded to know.

“What? No. I was gonna go get it soon though...why do ya as-...no. You saying-” Marshall was cut off as Chris made a beeline for what he guessed was the place where evidence was kept. He opened the door to find, nothing. No dynamite whatsoever.

“Oh this is bad. This is very very bad.” Chris stated as he pressed a hoof against his head in frustration, “The dynamite’s gone if you couldn’t tell!” He emphasised to Marshall as all of Chris’ friends burst in.

“No kidding! We got a pile of dynamite big enough to cause some serious damage and it’s missing! For Celestia’s sake, how did we not notice that?!” Marshall belted out angrily as everybody who entered started understanding the severity of the situation.

“This isn’t good...” Spike added with a grim look on his face. AJ’s eyes widened as she realized something and had to voice it immediately.

“Wait! Slim’s locked up ‘ere, how did this happen?!” She too belted out frantically. Everypony started rattling their brains to see if they could come to a logical conclusion. Marshall came to his own and instantly made it known.

“Well either Slim’s got some insane magical powers or there’s somepony else doing this...” He suggested as Chris thought about it for a second and nodded in approval of the idea.

“If anypony would know about anypony else involved, it’d be Slim...he’s the only suspect anyway.” The brony added as everybody nodded in approval. Marshall made his way to the cell hallway door. He quickly unlocked it and slammed the door open.

“Slim! We need to ask you somethi- What the Tartarus?!” Marshall shouted as Chris poked his head in. What he saw was rather unexpected. Slim’s cell door was open. His cell was empty. Chris’ eyes widened as he could feel his whole perception of reality, or whatever was considered reality falling apart.

“How did he get out?! Where is he?!” Chris demanded to know. As he did though he heard a loud slamming noise behind him. Him and everybody turned around to see the door to Marshall’s office lying wide open.

Chris’ and Marshall’s eyes widened as the brony made a dash for the open doorway with great haste, turning to his friends and calling to them for help, “C’mon! We can’t let him get away!” our hero emphasised as he and his friends started their pursuit.

“This is really not good...” Fluttershy stated the obvious as she ran with everybody else.