• Published 13th May 2018
  • 859 Views, 3 Comments

Bright Darkness - Rattus and The Victor

  • ...
0
 3
 859

Paleness

Radiance. That would be a nice name. He thought. He wondered his his captors would allow him to be called as such. Though that didn't sound much like a traditional colt name from what he had heard so far, he thought it sounded divine- if not a little pretentious. His mind recalled a memory from the previous day.

As he had been prodded physically and mentally, many had made notice of his lack of a cutie mark. Upon the third, rather rude observation at this he had questioned what it was. The stallion, who had been fixing the casts around his legs nearly doubled over with laughter. Sincerely taken aback when he realized that he was completely serious.

He got what he assumed was the standard explanation they give to fillies and colts at a young age pertaining to what it is. Now whenever he could he hid his unmarked flank with the sheets he had been given out of insecurity. Though a glimmer of hope that if he was shadow-hopped came to his mind and his cutie mark could just be suppressed. He let his mind run imaginatively wild at what it could possibly be.

He lived half of his life in the comatose state the Princess put him under, his entire body aching from stillness when he was allowed to wake. He longed to just walk outside. To feel the mingling of dirt and grass under his hooves, to feel the sun beat down on his tired, sore body and let the wind dance across his body and fill him with fresh air.

It must have been a week from his capture when Ambrosial came across it. Squealing in delight as she brushed his hair. "Roots!" she explained, "Blue! Like the sunlit sea!"

A sensation of anxious joy filled him. Was this the evidence they needed to prove his innocence? He kept still, not saying anything.

"Aren't you going to say somethin' dear?" Ambrosial inquired. "This could lead to your release!"

A giddiness bubbled up instead of him, swelling like a unburstable bubble. "Can-" he started, deciding to abandon his foolish question.

"What is it dear?"

"Can- I go outside?" the words escaped him, his tongue audaciously worked faster than his brain.

"Oh love," she crooned, "No' yet I am afraid. We will need a li'l more evidence. Though it won't be much longer now before you can go outside when'ver you want."

"Where am I?" he asked. "I have heard of the Empire's history, but I still don't know where it is." He didn't even know if he came from here.

"The Crystal Empire dear," she said, brushing away at his tail, finding another shimmering blue hair. She went into a long explanation of where it was located geographically, and even further into the history of it. The ponies here currently were enchanted by their history, though he could see why as she went onto explain the Pre-Sombra. Images of crystal roads, buildings and ponies danced through his mind. The knotting hunger formed in his gut again at the mention of crystals, but he had begun to gain more control over it.

Looking around the room he became confused. She had said all buildings were crystalline, but where he was at seemed to be a mixture of rock and traditional wood. "A precautionary measure," she said, answering the question on the tip of his mind. "As you remember Sombra had a dark fascination with crystals and how they could be used for his dark magic. He 'as mad over 'em. Clouded all his reason even at the sight o' 'em. Even grew irritable at even the mention, but you've seem fine the times I've let it slip."

The pain in his stomach intensified, growing into his chest. Burning panic flooded him, he became dizzy and disoriented.

"You okay dear?"

He did not answer her. The pain shot through him like jagged shards of glass, breaking his mind and body. He collapsed on his thin mattress, his world swirling into black.


"-Poor dear has 'ery low blood pressure." he heard Ambrosial's voice float through the air, followed by another deeper one.

"An increase in sodium then. If he is a shadow-hopper I would be scared half-way to death already too. Knowing that either way he will probably he executed if proven innocent or not."

"Shh!" hissed Ambrosial, "He don' know that yet. Think he could be well 'nough for a walk outside by t'morrow?"

"I don't know, his legs probably couldn't carry him if I am being honest. It would bring more pain than pleasure. Within a month maybe- but he doesn't have that much time."

"Who do ya' think he was?" Ambrosial asked with a grim sorrow, "So many ponies go missin' now'a days. He seems like a sweet stallion, I'll bet there are many missin' him."

"You're trying to guilt the wrong pony, Ambrosia," the voice cracked a little, "I have much of a say in what happens to him as you."

"That darn Moliminous," she spat, "'e was a Guard but there ne'er was a better magic healer in our kingdom. I don' understand why the Princess won' let us heal his wounds quicker."

"She doesn't want any magic involved as that could lead to a potential mental connection between the two- magic is a fickle thing. Dangerous if not utilized properly. Poor Moliminous, still sitting in the dungeons that one. Princess has extended the date for his execution- out of pity and attachment to him I suppose. Poor colts trauma is just being extended, it is wickedly cruel."

He couldn't help but twitch with guilt knowing his mere existence could be reasonable for laying a pony to death.

"'Mornin' dear," she cooed, "We've got you some more salty foods for today so we don' have you fainting on us 'gain!" she tried to carry a playful tone but it was hindered by what he had previously heard.

"I am going to die." the words escaped his mouth without thought.

Ambrosial struck the pony adjacent to her. "Nex' time we will discuss this ou'side the room," then she looked back at him, "You still 'ave a chance love, we are fighting for it, don' you worry." Her words brought no comfort as he could see the falsehoods in the way she relayed in.

"Oh to Tartarus with it," grumbled the unicorn stallion by Ambrosial. His creamy white horn pressing against his leg. He recoiled in pain, however the pale horn continued to pursue him. He looked towards Ambrosial for help. With an expressionless face, she held down onto his leg, shooting columns of pain through him.

"'Hold still dear." she said without emotion. He thrashed his front hooves madly, attempting to tear away from the mad duo- until the threads of pain shooting through his leg stopped. Instead he could feel something cool flowing through, stinging at first and then feeling fine.

"There, all better." said the exasperated looking stallion. "Would you be kind enough to let me fix your other one?"
Coiling still in fear and confusion, he couldn't move.

"I have put a mark on my own life and sanity to help you," the pale unicorn sneered, "The least you could do is let me do the full job.
Slowly he offered up his final leg. Gasping with pain relief all at once.

"Done."

"Wha' 'bout his horn?"

He puffed out his chest, "I am not going to risk it, that could be like throwing yourself in front of a train. He can walk- though between us both," the pale unicorn said, looking in both of their directions, " I would keep this a secret and not let on you are healed. Good thing the guards have grown bored with this position already- though I suspect one will be popping in soon to check." With that the mysterious equine exited the room.

"You understood?" Ambrosial asked him.

He nodded, stretching his limbs for the first time without causing extreme pain.

"We'll get you tha' walk as soon as possible dear,though it'll 'ave to be under the cover of night. You'll blend in nicely then."