• Published 13th May 2018
  • 855 Views, 3 Comments

Bright Darkness - Rattus and The Victor

  • ...
0
 3
 855

Animo Gracing

He heard a commotion outside of the door and froze. It had been promised to be a calm, gentle meeting and day overall, however it already sounded like it was going aerie. He had barely become aware of who the ruler of this land was, and already another had entered this domain from another part of the land- and the one who lifted the sun every day! He trembled under his sheets, attempting not to give away his healed limbs, hissing in faux pain when a guard noticed.

Silence in the hallway spread like a disease. He looked at the guard from before in a questioning fashion, but he was met back with an equally confused face. Torrid, he recalled. This guard seemed to be prescribed to him a lot as of late. His seething hatred and anger towards him died down into a solemn disdain, yet concern when he winced in pain.

The door opened with silent grace along with the gentle clink of metal against stone. A heavy weight fell upon his lungs once he observed the creature who strode into the room. Her ivory coat emitted a soft, but radiant silver-gold light while her hair glowed with an area of colors that captured breathtaking auroras as it defied gravity, innocently flowing with an unforeseeable wind. Her eyes like young wisteria blossoms scanned him before she opened her mouth.

"It has been quiet a while since our last meeting, Sombra."

Her stared at her stupidly, not knowing what to say. His eyes filled with agitated confusion but he boldly starting, "We have never met before. I-I'm not..." his words dissolved though, as he was not confident in declaring that he was not in fact Sombra. The blue streaks in his mane were a good indication he wasn't, however he could not truly be sure himself.

The opulent alicorn was completely unaffected by this, which shook him a little. If he was indeed the terror Torrid had described she should be a bit more apprehensive, though he hoped she could find someway to prove that he wasn't. Though he knew nothing of her, something told him that she would either be his salvation or destruction.

"I hope so," she said, each word calmly honied and coated in serenity, "Then who are who?"

He stared at her, the question passing right through him. Who am I? He tried to open his mouth, though he couldn't procure any words as he became cognitively dizzy. What am I?

"Hmm, I thought so. Princess Cadence was supposed to been a part of our audience just in case anything happened, however we both know that won't be necessary."

His ears pinned back in shame as he donned a guilty expression as he couldn't be totally sure. A sickness bubbled inside him, fearful of himself, as he had no grasp on his identity.

She offered him a kind smile that both felt sincere and threatening and she walked further towards him. "Don't worry about that," she cooed, "It, like everything else too, shall come to pass."

"What?" he asked, then it hit him. A warm sensation has begun to grow in his mind- at first it sent a pang of panic through him, but he was quickly taken over by an artificial feeling calm and his questioning of what it was dulled.

Celestia crouched beside the bed, now laying comfortably on the floor beside him. "Relax," she cooed, "It is okay."

Though a part of him attempted to fight her hold, it was for naught as her control trickled throughout him, before he did just that. The sensation of cool water trickling throughout his brain caused him to shiver, though he submitted to sleep unnaturally fast.

Visions of a lush garden danced in his dreams. The fragrant perfume of flowers and fruit trees floated in the air as his hooves made contact with the bouncy viridian grass and damp soil beneath. He trotted and bucked the fresh air like a foal just learning how to walk, his muzzle being buried in the magnificent smelling ground as he stumbled without a care. He allowed himself to the delectable grass that sent pleasure gushing through him with each bite.

However, as he stared to the horizon he became unnerved. The sky was a dark amber, and impossible jagged onyx clouds sailed through the sky. Black terror filled him as snow cascaded down from them. His legs pounded into the earth with a tremendous force as he attempted to evade the flakes- though they had now begun to consume him and his short lived paradise. He winned and bayed helplessly as the weight of the aggressive snow caused his legs to buckle. Though when his eyes closed there were not filled with darkness, but radiant light of every color. When he opened them, they were stung with the snow and darkness.


Twilight gawked in astonished confusion at her mentor, comforted when she saw the other princesses were doing the same out of the corner of her eye.

"How?!" Twilight cried, "How can't-"

"Twilight," Cadence said, sternly but calmly, "Allow her to explain."

"Of course," Twilight said bashfully and guilt filled.

"Yes, it is precarious," Celestia continued, "For the first time in a while, I am was unable to come up with anything definitive."

"Can you please explain?" Cadence politely begged, tiredness clutched onto her entire form. "This has been exhausting for me as well, though I have Shining to help keep up the protection spell, it just isn't enough help."

Luna shuffled uncomfortably in her seat, distastefully eyeing the cushion beneath her.

Celestia stared numbly at them, for the first time that Twilight could remember, all vigor had been drained from her face and her apparent natural enlightened composure now was empty. "I suppose I am not as well versed with this variety of magic as I once thought. However, there is another I would like to call upon for assistance- Sister."

Luna and Celestia both locked eyes.

"With all due respect," Luna began, "Are you sure you want to trust me to delve inside an insidious mind? I too have fallen to similar dark magic as he did, and already posses a...vulnerability." Luna attempted to deliver this flatly but failed, her quivering voice betraying her.

"Then it is you you also possess the utmost ability to guide him to reformance out of all of us, Little Sister."

"I-I suppose I have been down a similar math cognitively before..." Luna sighed, "Though I think it unwise to trust me sister, for it has not been long since I returned from my imprisonment and broke away from the dark magic I created myself."

"You can still look into his dreams though," Twilight piped up, "That power has been given back to recently, if i am remembering correctly that is." She looked towards the white alicorn for assurance.

Celestia eyed her previous student warmly, "Indeed it has, an avenue we have already attempted to explore, however..."

"He does not dream." Luna declared, "Gaining access to his mental domain has proven difficult for me from afar. I apologize." She said, staring down at the table in front of them.

"Don't," Cadence said, turning to Luna who was taken aback by her boldness.

"Pardon me?" Luna inquired. Her form rose with attentive anger, something Twilight couldn't blame her for. As Cadence had been the most benevolent of ponies of of late.

"Don't," Cadence said, with surprising gentleness, "I don't want to hear you putting yourself down like that. You are a capable, brave, and strong pony and you know that. You are an inspiration and a marvel, you have grown from your experiences and I deeply respect you. And I won't allow anyone to try to convince me you aren't anything less than that- not even yourself."

All were silent before snorting laughter rang through the air out of Luna, followed by Celestia. Cadence and Twilight both looked at each other for an answer, though neither had one to offer.

"Well that is defiantly comforting and a relief to hear," Luna chirped through a giggle, "Thank you."

"Care to explain what was so funny...?" Cadence asked, tilting her head.

This however caused another fit of laughter and a hopelessly confused glance shared between the two youngest princesses.

"In time, in time," Celestia said, finishing. "Now you had mentioned there was a pony who accompanied him, correct?"

"Yes," Cadence said, "I think she will be much less difficult to read, when will you be ready?"

"Sunrise tomorrow, Celestia said, "I imagine if she is innocent the poor soul would appreciate some sleep."

"Twilight," Luna said, peering over to the lavender mare, causing all the alicorns to look her way as well. "I was wondering-"

"Brilliant!" Celestia shrieked, realization shooting across her glowing face as she looked at her sister.

"Celestia!" Luna barked, "Honestly- But anyway," she gathered back up her reverence. "Twilight, would you allow me to teach you the branch of Animo Magic?"

"Mind magic?" Cadence asked.

"Well, yes, I apologize for my falter. I am still quite fond of many Old Ponish terminologies."

Twilight's eyes widened with wonder. "Princess Luna, I-I, well I'd be honored!" she managed to get out breathlessly.

Luna smiled, "I have every confidence that as the beerier of the Element of Magic, you will excel fairly quickly in this."

"And I know you will not fail to impress me, Twilight," Celestia warmly stated, "However, I think it wise perhaps for all of us to learn it."

Luna looked over at her sister with a shocked and tired expression. "While that would be benificial, I think it is of the utmost importance for us to get a another pony who can learn it as quickly as possible. Mentoring two additional ponies would take more time away from that."

"Of course," Celestia murmured, shooting Twilight a playfully jealous eye. "I do hope you enjoy your lessons, Twilight. And I hope in time perhaps you could even teach me this rare skill."