• Published 13th May 2018
  • 859 Views, 3 Comments

Bright Darkness - Rattus and The Victor

  • ...
0
 3
 859

Re-awakening.

Where am I?
Why can I not feel anything but emptiness?
....What am I?

_________________________________________________________________________
Jagged cracks broke out through the ice, the snow which had sat atop it seconds ago was now airborne, their diameter now reaching at least a half of a kilometer, distorted shadows bolted across its surface. The onslaught of deafening wind sent scintillating ice crystals slicing madly through the air. From the depths of the cracked ice black smoke curled out, before wrapping into walls of dark energy.

What is that? Thought a unicorn stallion, who happened to be embedded in the ice only a few lengths from the jagged crack, though he could not see, he could feel the disturbance.
What's happening? He thought, Why can't I move? What is this...emptiness that flows through my body?

The cracks thickened, as though an invisible force was attacking the ice, until the growing impurities formed around his body.
...What...what is this feeling...? I was just so cold....but....now I'm so...warm....
He began to ascend into the air, his mind to numb to question why. A red glow emanated from his body, he vaguely recognized it as his own magic enveloping him. What he did not recognize however were the shimmering light blue at the tips of it.

He rose roughly a meter into the air, revealing a frostbitten gray unicorn with shaggy black hair that flowed onto his back. His legs dangled in the air, his hair floated independently, the distortion of gravity presenting the illusion that he was floating in a small vacuum of outer space.
What...what is this feeling.....? He thought, I've never felt this way before...

____________________________________________________________________________

It's so cold here. Is there even anything out here? Trixie thought as the snow half-blinded her, she could no longer tell if it was snow or hair clouding her vision.
Just a bit further. The winds sped increased, making it more difficult to walk, her legs incapable of carrying her further, she could only stand there.
What's the point? she thought, her legs half buried in the snow, I haven't gotten any stronger. Will I ever get stronger...?

Her eyes widened, the wind has vanished, it was...warm. A blue barrier surrounded the area, blocking out the elements around.
She looked up.
What she saw would shock anypony, she saw a stallion suspended in air. Rays emitting the colors red and blue came from within him, they did not appear to be coming from his horn, but from his heart.
She put one leg forward, immediately meeting with the sharp cracks in the ice. I didn't see these as I walking up.
Her eyes shot between the floating pony and the giant break in the ice, unable to decide if she should be looking at one over the other.

She decided the stallion- who she suspected knew the cause of the break. Her heart froze momentarily wondering if he was what had done this.
W-what kind of magic is that? I've never seen anything like it...

The magic surrounding the stallion dissolved, as though somepony had flipped a switch. The mysterious warmth disappearing, the cacophony of the wind and hostile cold slowly returning.
Trixie's horn reacted before her mind, sparkling wisps of coral-pink magically clutched the stallion so he would not fall into the abyss. A gasp of pain was wrung out from her as she barely managed to keep him afloat, sleet began stinging her few unprotected parts of her body. Stopping him just before he fell into the enormous columns of splintered chunks of ice jutted out.

Though magic was primarily a mental task, Trixie dug into every power she could, nerves felt like fire was shooting through them, and high preasure steam barreling through her insides. Physical and mental exhaustion threaten to consume her, out of necessity for not only her life, she broke through.

Taking in deep breathes, Trixie managed to lay him down haphazardly in the entrance of her wagon. She weakly ambled inside after him, trying to crawl over him in the politest way she could muster. Crystals of frost clung to every bit of his body, tinting his coat into many shades lighter than what it naturally was.

He is unconscious. She came to that conclusion rather quickly after weakly prodding him with questions to no avail.
"Can-can you hear me?" she asked in a tone louder, instantly feeling a tinge of stupidity for it. Shock still running through her veins.
Unsurprisingly, there was no response.

She looked through one of the windows, noting how far the mountains had become. It couldn't be too far now.
Checking once more to see if he was breathing, she finally allowed her tense muscles to relax. Death hadn't tightened its grip on him quite yet.
The realization hit her though- it was not just her life at risk now.
Sighing as she gathered her composure and strength to continue on, she looked to the obscured ice once more. Her ears pinned back as she sensed something aberrant about it-something malevolent. An irritable feeling gnawed at her as she continued to look into it, before shaking her head once she thought she had seen faint shadows licking across its surface. They were gone when she glanced back again.

Do I even have the strength to carry the wagon all the way? She pondered as she clamped herself back onto the front. After maneuvering a full grown stallion at a moments notice she felt drained on all fundamental levels.
Looks like we are going to find out. she answered herself.

If I was just a little better at magic I could have teleported us straight to the kingdom. she allowed that thought to torment her, before paralyzing her emotionally.
Isn't it worth a try though?
Don't kid yourself, why would you think you could teleport not only yourself, but your entire wagon and all that's inside? A hopeless whimper escaped her lips as she stared out at the final expanse she needed to traverse. Miraculously, at a slow pace she pulled towards their destination.

___________________________________________________________________________
...There it is again... that warm feeling.
"Do you think he is going to be okay...?" He heard this voice like it was coming from faraway through a tunnel.
"I can't say for certain." said another voice.
Where...Am I...?

"So you found him out in the Frozen North, is that right?"
"Yes, and...well...I don't know if you would believe me if I told you."
"Try me m'am, we get some pretty unique cases in the Empire." Shortly after there was a gasp and a clattering of hooves.
"Stand guard of that room, we need The Princess at once!"

Princess...? Where am I...?
Where ever he was he was able to relax comfortably and just let go of himself. He was aware of a tingling sensation in his head, which trickled its way down his body until it ended at his hooves. He attempted to turn over but became very aware of another watching over him, snarling at the movement.

For the first time since he had emerged from the crack in the ice, he opened his eyes. On both of his sides two heavily armored stallions stood- when he sat up though he realized they were completely surrounding the room. The most out of place thing of all was a pink alicorn standing before him, an extreme expression on her face.

Her horn consumed by brilliant blue sparks. From it a blue orb was borne, aggressively it began to grow. Celestial light flashed before his eyes as a loud crack sounded, the force orb expanding around them created an immense heat and forceful gust of wind. Soon it wound across the entire room, then transcended outside of it. Shock outburst could be heard as it trickled across the entire Empire- now a appearing as a formidable bubble.

Snorts and neighs of surprise met with him as the crowd continued to stare of him. The princess looking the most stunned of all. He nervously pinned back his ears as he wondered if that orb were to have caused devastation and failed. Dread and terror cut through him as he wondered what hellish domain he had entered. His chest began to heave as he pressed himself farther back into the small bed. Panic stung clear through him, and robbed him of his ability to move or speak.

"Well, Princess Cadence?" a guard spat out, "Should we execute him or what?"
A terrified look filled his eyes as cowardice filled him and he let out a feeble whiny, pulling up the hospital blankets further up his body foolishly. The Princess raised an eyebrow. "King Sombra, it has been many moons since I have last encountered you, what have you to say?" Her words were delivered calmly, however he could detect a level of apathy as he stared deeply into her unfeeling eyes.

Black terror filled him once more as he tried to get something out. "King..?" he breathed. "I-I think you have the wrong pony. I am not actually sure who I am actually, but I can't imagine anything like-" he squeaked as a guard shoved his muzzle into his. "You well know who you are and you will properly answer the Princess!" he barked. Tears of frustration wheeled up in his eyes, as he crumbled into a helpless ball.

"That's enough Torrid Spade," Cadence relayed with a more natural calm. The guard still cut through him with his stare, his eyes a lambent orange. He retreated his desert-sand colored head, still seething. Cadence unfolded her pearly pink wings, tipped with dusky lavender as she approved him. Reverence echoed in every step she took towards him.

"You've answered me honestly?" she inquired. Somehow he managed a nod. For a moment he though he detected the ghost of a smile teasing her lips, before a sternness brought them into a frown. "Well, even if that is true, I can't allow the risk of- oh dear don't be like that."

He couldn't help it as streams of tears rolled down his face- half in terror and the other he couldn't explain. Low hiccuping sobs escaped him, his powerlessness pounding through his gut, wrenching it from side to side. The guards stood awkwardly by, unaware if they were to emulate empathy or ready themselves for aggressive action.

Cadence looked at him with concern, then detached nothingness. "You are making this rather difficult." she cooed, her tone exasperated. "What I can do for the moment is put you in a state to where you can't harm anyone until we can sort this out." she said, distress obvious in her form.

Her horn lit up once more. However the light from it this time was gentle, like blue light bleeding from a crystal. She pressed her horn against his head, dissolving his world into a black oblivion.

Author's Note:

I started this very early on- though never quite had the time or motivation to develop it. The idea came to me near season 3's ending, so the first chapter will be reflective of that. However time will progress up to what the show is currently at- though to start off we are in the time period towards the end of season 3.
80% of this is the original first chapter I have had since 2013, sentiment has kept me from tweaking too much. The blend of my old and new styles of writing I hope will make an enjoyable story and I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to read!