• Published 22nd Apr 2013
  • 707 Views, 11 Comments

The Angels Take Manehattan - Steve Stevenson

  • ...
5
 11
 707

New York

"New York Growls at my window, but I was ready for it. My stocking seams were straight, my lipstick combat-ready, and I was packing heat that could fell an ox at 20 feet..."
"Doctor, you're doin it again." Amy said to him, looking up from her newspaper.
"I'm reading!" he exclaimed, looking back at her.
"Aloud. Please could you not?" She asked him, looking through her spectacles at her paper.
He turned and faced her, obviously disappointed.
"There’s something different about you, isn't there?" he simply stated, looking into her eyes.
"What's the book?" Rory asked hooves on his stomach. The Doctor seemed distracted, and turned back to his book.
"Melody Malone. She's a private detective in old town New York." he answered.
"She’s got ice in her heart and a kiss on her lips and a vulnerable side she keeps well hidden." Amy mocked.
"Oh, you've read it?" the Doctor asked.
"No, you read it. aloud." she said, pushing her spectacles up her long face, "Then you went 'Yowzah!'"
"You know, only you could fancy someone in a book." Rory said, leaning up off the grass in his direction.
"I'm just reading. I just like the cover." doctor complained, situating himself into a comfortable position again.
"Ooh! Can I see the cover?" Amy asked, leaning towards his book.
"No. No. I'm busy." he said, scooting back from her praying hooves. He took a good look at her.
"It's your mane. Is it your mane?" he asked, taking a couple of sniffs.
"Oh shut up," she said, situating her spectacles on her face, "it's the glasses. I wear reading glasses, on my nose. See? There you go." she finished impatiently.
"I don't like them. They make your eyes look all liney." he stated, taking a good look at her. He lifted her glasses, and quickly placed them back on her eyes.
"No, actually. Sorry. They're fine. Carry on."
Rory got a face of worry. "Okay. I'm going to and get us more coffee. Who wants more coffee? Me too. I'll go!" he said, getting up as quick as he could.
"Rory?" Amy called. He stopped dead in his tracks, not daring to turn around. "Do I have noticeable lines on my eyes now?"
"Ye-." the doctor started, but he was quickly cut off by Rory's "No."
"You didn't look." she said, tilting her head to the side.
"I noticed them earlier... Didn't, notice them. I specifically remember not noticing them." he quickly corrected.
"You're welcome on the fire pit, Centurion." she thanked.
"Do I uh, have to come over there?" he asked.
"You can if you like." she replied.
"Well, we have company."
"I’ll get a babysitter." she flirted. Rory kissed her, and the Doctor let out a sigh in disgust.
"Do you know it is so humiliating when you do that." he said, plopping his book down in aggravation.
"Coffee?" Rory asked.
"Coffee." Amy returned to her newspaper, and the Doctor returned to his book.
"Can I have a go?" the doctor asked Amy, soon after Rory left. She put down her paper, and he took the reading glasses off her face and put it on his own. He squinted for a while, and then remarked "Actually that is much better. That is exciting" Amy laughed.
She held her hind legs, and huddled up next to him.
"Read to me." she asked.
"I thought you didn't like my reading aloud." he remarked.
"Shut up and read me a story. Just don't go 'Yowzah.'" she demanded. He laughed and ripped out the last page with his mouth.
"Why did you do that?" she asked.
"Oh I always rip out the last page of a book. Then it doesn't have to end. I hate endings." he replied. He placed the page into the picnic basket, and began reading: "As I crossed the street, I saw the thin guy. But he didn't see me. I guess that’s how it began. I followed the skinny guy for two more blocks before he turned, and I could ask exactly what he was doing here. He looked a little scared, so I gave him my best smile and bluest eyes." he stopped, looking at Amy.
"Beware the Yowzah!" she joked, “do not, at this point, yowz." the smile on the face of the Doctor disappeared, and he read to himself. Amy looked over his shoulder. "Doctor? What did the skinny guy say?" she asked nervously.
The doctor took of the glasses. "He said, "I just went to go get coffees for the Doctor and Amy. Hello, river."