• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 883 Views, 40 Comments

Just Another Night At the Bar - Silent Sir 224



A stallion named, Bright Bishop is at his usual bar like he is most days, he doesn't partake in the drinking but enjoys the food and spirits. But, tonight he finds a lonely mare in a melancholy state, he tries to see if he can help her.

  • ...
2
 40
 883

Life Story

While waiting for their breakfast, Bishop and Twilight decide to take the opportunity to get to know each other a little more. Bishop went first:

"My life started in Canterlot, my father is a noble in the Royal Court and my mother is... well a noble's wife. She is the one that plans all of those parties that would just be a gathering of the politicians in the city, and I was always to be in attendance. I suppose I can't complain about having to always be there, other children came and would talk to me when they came. Some were pleasant, others... less so. Those unpleasant guests helped me make an important promise to myself that I will never be able to thank them enough for... never let money, power or anything make me think I'm any better than anyone else.

"These guests would come, give me some sort of 'greeting' and either use the servants as a source of entertainment for the rest of the night, or just talk about what they've made them do. On top of that, they all tried to one up each other about it, as if it was some sort of competition. It made me sick to my stomach to see and hear what those poor ponies had to do for such intolerable foals. Now thankfully, there were some respectable foals there that I could carry conversation with. These more pleasant guests knew they had money, but never let it change them. These guests were a few years older than myself, but they let me join there circles anyway. They helped me learn how to live with money since they lived comfortably with it and had only what they needed to keep things that way.

"These ponies were the most influential on me at that stage of my life, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I grew up in this environment until I was ready to move out on my home and make something of myself. I received private tutoring and learned much about the field of magic, so I decided that I would try to expand upon that knowledge at the college in Canterlot. One of the benefits of being apart of nobility was the doors it opened for me, I was admitted almost the moment I entered the grounds because of my father's position.

"The experience was definitely... different from private tutoring sessions. The crowded lecture halls took some getting used to and sharing a dorm with others even more so. But, I adapted, and got a good degrees in magic theory and execution. I graduated and headed out to look for a job, but I found that they sought me more than I sought them. My first week after graduating I found at least five job offers sitting in my mailbox. I did research on the offers, three were in Canterlot, one in Manehatten and the one here in Phillydelphia."

"Each job were all as good as the others, about the same amount of pay and I would be doing the same job more or less. Canterlot seemed too close to home, I was ready to move out from my home and travel a little. I visited Manehatten for an interview, but the city seemed... less than friendly to me that day. Thankfully, this city is the perfect distance from home to be able to visit during holidays and it has been most kind to me. I've been here since, I learned early that the successful ponies here act similar to the children of my youth. So I avoid them, the humble workforce is much better company for me to keep. Any place I go to regularly, I probably know the staff there. Anyway, that's my story, I'm sorry if it wasn't exactly interesting."

Twilight sat for a moment in silence, "I thought it was interesting."

"Really? I've seen ponies fall asleep hearing that story... and you thought it was interesting?" There was a hint of skepticism in his voice.

"Well... yes, I admire the simplicity that you've experienced. I know a stallion that would love to have a life like that."

A stallion? I should've known she was already spoken for, oh well. No reason that I still can't be her friend, right? "Please enlighten me on how one would want such an... uneventful life."

"Well, he's been through a time of... turbulence, for lack of better words. I promised him that I wouldn't go into detail but I know that he of all ponies would appreciate a simple life."

"Are you two close?" Wait, what did I just ask!? When did I lose control of my mouth?!

"Well, we're close friends, I've known him for about half a year maybe a little longer."

"Just friends?" Okay, no more control, got it. All I can do is sit back and hope this doesn't end too badly.

"Yeah, why do you ask?" She raised an eyebrow in suspicion.

"No reason!" At least I got control back, it's as if my subconscious overruled my brain...

"Okay..."it was clear that she was still suspicious, "anyway, his name is Dusk. He and my friends back home are planning his wedding right now, and since I have very little experience with weddings I thought it would be the perfect time to take a trip to some place new. The seminar I was supposed to be attending was a perfect opportunity."

"So, you came here because you don't have anything to do with the planning of a wedding?"

"Yes," she sighed, staring down at her glass of water, "it's a bit sad isn't it?"

"No, I'd probably do the same thing in your situation."

"...You're just saying that, aren't you?" Her eyes stayed fixed on her glass, similar to the night before. There she goes again, just staring at her glass like it's the only thing in Equestria.

"No, I have no experience with weddings, I would probably just get in the way if I tried to help. My response would be getting out of the way, too."

Twilight perked up a little, pulling her eyes away from the drink and looking at Bishop, "really? So you don't think I'm being really dumb?"

He was perplexed by her question, "how could you be dumb? If you can't help and feel like you might get in the way, going out traveling is a pretty smart thing to do, in my opinion at least."

She gave a sigh of relief, "thanks, I needed to hear that."

"Glad to help, just do me one favor."

"What's that?"

"Don't call yourself dumb, I've known you for less than a day and I know you are definitely not dumb."

Twilight blushed slightly, "okay, I'll try."

"Glad to hear it," he smiled.

Niccolo returned with Twilight's croissant and Bishop's meal, a simple omelet. "There you go, again terribly sorry for the wait."

"My friend, it is quite alright, things happen that we can't control."

"Very true, anything else I can get you?" The two shook their heads, "then I will let you enjoy your meals." He headed to the opposite side of the cafe to tend to other customers.

The two ate in silence for some time, the meals where nearly completed before Bishop spoke up. "Well, I've done my share of talking, you want to talk for a bit?"

"It would be the least I could do for my humble host." Her 'host' sat back and prepared for the tale he was about to hear.

"Like you, I started my life in Canterlot. I took a strong liking to magic and decided to study and focus on it. My parents enrolled me in Celestia's School For Gifted Unicorns. During the entrance exam, I showed that my body contains a large amount of raw magic when I hatched a dragon egg. Princess Celestia decided to take me as her personal student."

"Wait, you're Twilight Sparkle!?" Bishop nearly jumped out of his seat.

"I never told you?" She tilted her head in confusion.

"I think I would have remembered being told about you being one of the most famous unicorns of our time!"

"I wouldn't say most famous..." She turned away and began to blush a little.

"Really?" He gave her a skeptical glance, "the unicorn who took down Discord and freed Nightmare Moon, who represents Harmony as the Element of Magic, as well as Princess Celestia's prized pupil. I would most definitely say you're the most famous, not to mention most powerful, unicorn of this or any time!"

Twilight's face was now completely red, "am I really that famous?"

"Yes, without a doubt any unicorn this side of Equestria knows who you are." How could I have not noticed? Her name, the fact she's a unicorn, everything couldn't have been so coincidental....

"I didn't know that my name was so well known..."

Niccolo came back to the table, "here's the bill my friend. Did you happen to read the paper this morning?"

"Uh, no. Why? Is there something that I should know?" Bishop pulled out a pouch of bits and gave it to Niccolo.

"Well, the pegasi are planning a large storm this afternoon. Apparently, the team is making up for any rain that they missed earlier this month and decided to get it all out at once." What in the name of Celestia are these weather teams doing to make such a decision with no consultation with the citizens of the city?

"Who authorized such action to take place?"

"Evidently, the mayor gave the okay yesterday evening. At least that's what was said in the paper."

Bishop gave an annoyed sigh and turned to Twilight, "looks like that tour will have to be postponed a day or two."

"That's okay, I will be in town for a few days don't worry," she smiled.

Bishop smiled back, only a few days.... He shook that thought from his mind before turning to their host, "thank you, Niccolo. I'm glad I found out now and not when I was out getting caught in a downpour."

"No problem, my friend. You would have done the same for me as well, good day to you both as I must head home and prepare for the coming storm." He turned and headed back inside the cafe.

"Well, if you have no objections I believe heading back to my apartment would be the best plan of action."

"Sure, but this storm has you a little on edge, care to explain?"

"Well, I think it would be best if you saw for yourself. The thunderstorms here aren't exactly minor by any normal standards." She gave him a confused look as he stepped away from the table and headed back, but followed him regardless. "Power is probably gonna go out during the storm," he explained as he walked down the street.

"Really? Does that happen often?"

"Happens during most storms, most of the time the citizens have at least a few days prior to get ready for them. I don't know why they would be authorized to pull one out of the blue like this."

The rest of the journey was silent, any other time would have been fine. But why now!? Why would they plan to pull a random storm today of all days?

Bishop was beginning to sweat a little, enough for Twilight to notice. "Are you sure everything's okay? You seem a little nervous?"

He took a deep breathe, calm down, no need to get her worried about it, everything's going to be fine. "Yeah, I just hate storms, especially these ones."

A grin grew across Twilight's face, "you're afraid of thunderstorms aren't you?"

"Wha- n-no I'm not!" Okay, not helping my case here. Why am I so tongue tied?

She couldn't help laughing, "you're so cute when you're flustered."

He was about to retort before he realized something, did she just call me... cute? That thought was trapped in his head until they made it to his home. "Do you want to take the elevator, the or stairs?"

Twilight contemplated for a moment, "can we take the elevator? Five floors is a bit of a climb for me."

He pushed the call button without a moment of hesitation, a minute or two later the doors opened with a loud ding! "After you madam."

"Why thank you good sir," she walked into the elevator. He followed and pushed the button for the fifth floor.

With a slight jerk, the metal box slid up the shaft to the fifth floor and opened. Bishop exited first to make sure that they got to the right apartment. He led her inside and closed the door behind her, "make yourself comfortable, I need to take care of a few things."

She sat down on the couch and relaxed, while her host took a look at his home. This place is in such disarray, and she had to have noticed by now! He started going around sprucing the place up some, cleaning his kitchen up and putting his bedroom in a state of order.

Twilight watched him with curiosity, "are you doing all this for the thunderstorm, or me?"

He felt a little hot under the collar and cleared his throat. "Well..." what do I say? What can I say? I'm pretty sure she got me either way. "You, I don't think the storm would really care about the state of my home." He tried to play it off with a joke.

"Probably not," she laughed a little. "But you don't have to go through the trouble, my home usually looks ten times worse than this."

"Still, I should have picked this place up earlier." I have no idea why I would be so concerned about.... Wait a minute, embarrassed about her seeing my home slightly disorganized, suddenly becoming worried about her availability when she talks about other stallions and becoming saddened thinking about her leaving so soon... well it's official I have a crush on Twilight Sparkle.

"Don't go doing all of that for my sake, it's fine."

"You sure? It's no trouble." Okay, what do I do now? Do I tell her? I can't hide it for too long, but how will she react?

"I'm sure, come sit down and relax." She patted the seat next to her and gestured for him to come over.

"Okay," he took the seat next to her and looked out the window. The clouds were covering the sky with a dismal shade of grey, the tree branches started catching small gusts. The calm before the storm no doubt...

"Personally, I preferred the clear blue skies with a gentle breeze," Twilight smiled.

"Certainly better than this weather... I feel I need to apologize," he leaned forward and looked down at the floor, "I should have seen this coming or something and prepared for it."

"Bishop, don't be, it's not exactly something you control or could have known about ahead of time."

"I guess you're right... but still," he couldn't look up from the floor.

"Bishop, please don't even think you had anything to do with this," he didn't move, "look at me."

He pulled his eyes away and did as she asked, those eyes of hers, like amethyst gems.

"Don't you dare blame yourself, I won't let you mope around here about it. I won't."

"Okay," he sat back up.

"Good, now I have a pillow," she put her head on his shoulder.

"Wait, you said that just to get to use my shoulder as a headrest?"

"No, it's just a bonus. Getting you to stop moping was the only real goal."

He slipped his arm behind her rubbed her shoulder, "okay, I won't mope around you then."

"Good, I hate seeing my friends in such a sad mood." Friend, huh, I never thought that word could simultaneously bring happiness and sadness.

The two sat together for some time in silence, until the first roar of thunder rolled across the landscape. Well, here it comes...