• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 883 Views, 40 Comments

Just Another Night At the Bar - Silent Sir 224



A stallion named, Bright Bishop is at his usual bar like he is most days, he doesn't partake in the drinking but enjoys the food and spirits. But, tonight he finds a lonely mare in a melancholy state, he tries to see if he can help her.

  • ...
2
 40
 883

Water & Wine

Bright Bishop is just an ordinary unicorn, not too big or small, not the strongest but at the same time not the weakest, he knows a lot but he knows he doesn't think he knows everything. His coat is a creme color, with a dark grey mane and tail with a spiky style, his cutie mark being a beaker with green liquid inside. He lives in Phillydelphia and has made it his home for the past few years, ever since his first day he's been frequenting the Dragonfire Inn. He doesn't drink though, he tried drinking, once, and that was enough for him, the alcohol most certainly did not agree with him.

The Dragonfire Inn is a one of a kind bar, it's a fusion of old and new, the walls and decor give it an almost medieval time feel, but the bar and tables are stained wood and have a more modern look. A unique look that keeps ponies coming back often, the good drinks and food help business too.

Bishop's been going through such a monotonous lifestyle, get up, go to work, come home and head to the inn if there's time to, head to bed and repeat. He wouldn't complain though, he has a high paying job and a nice apartment close to the town square, his life is going pretty well. Tonight he walks into the same scene at the bar, tables full of ponies laughing and talking with his usual seat open at the bar. And at least he gets a well deserved break from work the next day, first day in a few months he got off.

He sat down and the bartender came up to him, "hey Mr. Magic, the usual?" 'Mr. Magic', a name that he picked up from the previous owner of the bar, the name was used once and then sticks for so many years, he still laughed about it.

"Yeah, thanks Jimmy," he had a glass of water slide across the bar to him and plate with a hay burger with a side of hay fries on it placed in front of him.

Jimmy was the bar's main man, he had a few years on Bishop but he worked at the bar every night, not because he had to but because he enjoys conversing with the patrons. He and Bishop talked almost every time that Bishop came in, one of the few friends that Bishop has in the city, he knew most ponies that go to the bar, but he wouldn't call any of them more than acquaintances.

"The only pony I know that goes to a bar and doesn't get any real drinks," Jimmy laughed before turning to another patron at the counter, "hello Miss, what can I get you?"

"Just a glass of white wine and a menu please," her voice carried a hint of sadness, Jimmy slid a glass of wine her way and handed her a menu, "thank you."

Bishop glanced at her, a unicorn, not unlike himself, she had a light purple coat, a purple mane and tail with two accenting stripes, one pink and the other lavender. Who is that? I've never seen her around before, she might be an out-of-towner. They come around from time to time, only they usually are the happy-go-lucky types, definitely not like her.

Bishop slid his food and drink over to the seat next to the mare, "this seat taken?"

"No, go ahead," she answered, she didn't even look up from her glass of wine.

"Something wrong? I know it's none of my business but you seem a bit down," Bishop asked, he couldn't just leave her sitting there sad and alone.

"Yeah, but I don't really talk to strangers about my problems," she answered.

"Oh, well than allow me to introduce myself I'm-" before he could finish he was cut off by another patron.

"Hey there little lady... what's your name?" The patron slurred, he was pretty drunk, he couldn't stand up straight and the fact he was talking as well as he was, was nothing short of impressive. The mare ignored him, "hey come on now... don't be like that."

Bishop recognized the patron, one of the few ponies there he wasn't too fond of, he never caught the stallion's name and he didn't really care to know. The guy was always trying to pick up mares and when he got shot down, he didn't get the message until someone else intervened, usually with a punch.

"I think she wants to be left alone, how about I get you another beer and you can head back to your buddies over there?" Bishop was never one for fights, so diplomacy was his usual route.

"Sure Mr. Magic... you really are a cool guy," the drunk wandered over to the bar and picked up another bottle and sat back down.

"Thanks, 'Mr. Magic' was it?" The mare asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh, that's a name I picked up when I first moved here, first day in town I decided to check out this bar since it wasn't too far from my apartment. The owner asked me about my job here, I explained that I moved here to work in the Institute of Magic Research and from then on he called me Mr. Magic and it's stuck ever since." He took a gulp of his water, "my real name though, is Bright Bishop, pleased to meet you."

The mare cracked a little smile at this story, "my name is Twilight, a pleasure to meet you."

"So, now that we're not complete strangers, what seems to be troubling you?" He asked.

"I came here for a lecture on specialized magic and spells, but the professor who was going to be giving the lecture came down with an illness and won't be able to do it. I planned to be here for it for a few days and now... I don't know what I'm going to, I might just go home now, but I already spent the bits to come here." She kept her eyes fixated on her glass, which was already half empty.

"Oh yeah, I know the professor who was giving that lecture, he came down with pneumonia not too long ago, but I visited him a few days ago and he's doing a little better now. But if you need something to do... I could show you the town, wouldn't be as interesting as a lecture but it might be fun," Bishop offered.

"I don't know... maybe," she was very uncertain about whether to answer yes or no.

"Well, think about it, I will be here tomorrow at the same time sitting at my usual seat," he pointed to the stool at the end of the bar.

"Okay, I'll think about it," she replied.

Bishop started eating his meal and Twilight ordered the same thing he did, a simple hay burger and some fries, after they sat in silence for a short time he broke it. "So where are you from?"

"Ponyville."

"Sounds like a nice place," he never heard of the town, "is it a small town?"

"Yeah, nice and quiet," Twilight paused, "well most of the time.".

"I could get used to a place like that, Phillydelphia is all well and good but it can be such a noisy place," Bishop explained.

"I noticed, getting off the train here was such a hassle from all the ponies coming and going, how long did you say you've been living here?"

Bishop finished his glass off, "about five years give or take, ever since I got a job here."

"At the Institute of Magic Research, right?"

"Yep, that's the one," he turned to the bartender, "hey Jimmy, can I get a refill?"

"Sure thing," he slid a full glass across the bar to Bishop, "would the miss over there want a refill as well?"

Twilight's glass was almost empty, "I don't think I should, I need to save my bits."

"If money's the issue, I can cover it," Bishop offered.

"No, I can't accept such an offer," she refused.

"Hey Jimmy, put her meal on my bill, I got it," he ignored her protests, Jimmy confirmed his request.

"All right," she sighed, turning to the bartender, "can I get another glass over here?"

Jimmy walked up with a bottle of wine and poured enough to refill her glass, "there you go miss, enjoy."

"Thank you," she turned back to Bishop, "you didn't have to do that, you know."

"I know I didn't have to, but I wouldn't like leaving a pony stuck at a bar tight on bits without trying to help," he replied, sipping his drink.

"So you go to a bar... and drink water?"

"Yes ma'am, I tried drinking once and I learned my body does not like alcohol."

"How so?"

"I had one drink, just one can of beer, and my stomach didn't agree with it... that's when I found out that my body can't handle alcohol, some genetic condition."

"Oh, that's unfortunate."

"Eh, not really, I'm fine with water."

"So why do you come to a place like this?"

"Good food, good friends."

"You haven't really talked to any pony besides myself since I came in here."

"What about our bartender?"

"Is he your friend?"

"Jimmy? Yeah we've been friends since I started coming here, one of the few ponies in this town I can really call a friend."

"Likewise my friend," Jimmy replied obviously eavesdropping on the whole conversation, he turned to Twilight, "Jimmy's the name, been serving the ponies here for seven years, pleased to meet you Ms?"

"Twilight, nice to meet you Jimmy."

"If you need anything don't be afraid to give me a shout," he turned to another patron at the counter.

"He's a nice fellow," Twilight commented.

"Yeah, the guy has the perfect personality for this kind of job."

The rest of the evening was filled with idle conversation to help pass the time, over time Twilight had one glass of wine too many. She was a little... buzzed, when the clock struck eleven, Bishop offered to help her get to her hotel he put a bag full of bits on the counter.

"Thanks for the food Jimmy, see you tomorrow," he waved off to the bartender.

"No doubt Mr. Magic, make sure she gets home alright."

"Of course," he walked out with her, he helped get walk to the hotel she said that she was staying at, they made it there in good time and Bishop walked up to the receptionist at the counter.

"Do you have room for a Twilight Sparkle?" He asked the receptionist.

The receptionist flipped through the ledger and spoke after a moment of searching, "uh... nope, no room for a Twilight here, sorry."

Bishop sighed heavily and turned to Twilight, "looks like you'll be staying at my place."

Twilight giggled with her face fully flushed, he wasn't sure that she was aware what was going on at that point. The two walked a few blocks to Bishop's apartment complex, he remembered that they were looking at a little bit of a climb to the fifth floor since the elevator was shut down after dark. It's a rule the owner set since the thing was always so noisy, so Bishop never minded. He led her up the stairs and made it to his apartment, he flipped a light switch, illuminating the living room, the place was in order at least, he never actually had company before that night.

"Bedroom's down the hall to the left, Bathroom is right across the hall from the bedroom on the right," he explained, "I will be on the couch if you need anything."

She nodded and stumbled a little bit down the hall, Bishop walked to a little closet in the hallway and pulled out a pillow and blanket. He sometimes took the couch if he was too caught up with his work to get in his bed so it was no big issue and he didn't even have to work the next day, which was a bonus. Before going to bed, he threw an ice pack in the freezer, in case Twilight's hangover was a bit stronger than expected.

Bishop got himself comfortable, leaving only his thoughts to distract him, I can't believe I did this inviting a mare to stay at my place! ...But I suppose it's better than her being stuck without a place to stay. Yeah, I did what was best, she will sleep off the wine and will be able to get to her actual hotel and get herself situated here.

An unfamiliar thought crept up on him, she's pretty cute, though.

Oh no, don't start that she's somebody I just met tonight., she doesn't even live in town, she's just visiting.

Still, you never know what could happen.

I'm ignoring these thoughts, but... I guess she's pretty cute, even though she was a little drunk.

He fell asleep with that thought stuck in his mind, he could at least sleep in the next day, he could actually enjoy the fall weather for once.