• Published 5th Feb 2012
  • 1,725 Views, 18 Comments

Mare in the Shell SAC 3rd G.I.G. - Roxy Shot



Major Kusanagi enters the world of Equestria chasing a scientist by the name of Hoji.

  • ...
1
 18
 1,725

NW: A Brave New World - ARRIVAL

"How does it look Major?"

I looked down at my gun and popped the magazine out. Fifteen bullets left. I glanced down the rear sight and pulled back on the hammer. With a simple flick of my hand, the mag was back in and ready for action. My back was pressed against a bullet riddled wall and a hallway to my left is obscured by a dust cloud of broken plaster. I pulled a thermal visor out of my black and gray form fitting combat suit, slid it over my eyes, and gingerly moved to glance down the tattered remains of a hallway.

"Clear, move in." I responded via our usual encrypted link. I then turned the corner and ran down the hallway. The team and I were deep in an underground lab, well into an investigation of a man who was only referred to as Hoji. Unusual spikes in energy had been noticed in the area over the past few weeks, resulting in multiple power outages and deliveries of black market military equipment had been confirmed to the location. Half way down the hallway lights started to flicker and a violent rumbling ran through the complex.

"Woah, that sounded nasty. This is defiantly the place Major." I picked up my pace and sprinted the rest of the way. A few moments later, the silhouette of a large man stood in front of a doorway covered in smoke.

"Ready Batou? We're going in." I announced. Batou's mouth curved up in a smile and he took to the left side of the doorway and crouched down. He gripped the handle of the door and readied his pistol with the other. Our man was supposedly behind this door, now we get to find out. I gave Batou a nod of my head and he flung the door open. I fell in with Batou's motion and was in the room before Batou had the door fully open and surveyed the scene before me. A group of men wearing white lab coats were scattered around the rather small room and a large arch of metal rested against the back wall with several thick wires hooked into it. Batou was only a step behind me and both of us swept the room with our handguns. Scientist by scientist put their hands in the air and showed no resistance. There were twelve scientists in all and all looked to be in their mid-thirties.

"I believe a man named Hoji is in this room?" I asked aloud. I glanced around the room, but no one answered.

"Major!" Batou shouted. I followed his gaze and heard a dull thud. Before I could even voice a response, every scientist collapsed to the ground, one by one.

"Chief, I think you will want to see this. Ishikawa, Borma, you too. Saito, did you see anyone escaping on the surface?"

"Negative Major, but I'll keep on the lookout." Saito responded.
-----------------------------

"So, anything interesting?" I asked as I approached the Chief. It had been a good three hours since the team had arrived and something about large device in the back of the room gave me a bad feeling. In the corner of my eye I spotted Batou approaching, probably as curious as I was.

"Well, it's not a new type of dive device as we first had thought. Hoji's writings explain it as a portal to another world. Hoji expressed how he wanted an escape from modern society and technology in his journal. He believed he could make a device that could form a link between the two worlds," Aramaki explained.

"I guess a tropical vacation wouldn't be enough for this guy, what a nut," Batou expressed with a sigh. I expected this kind of reaction from Batou, but I can't say my own was too different. Most people in Hoji's situation would probably take a vacation or perhaps drown themselves in alcohol.

"Don't knock the guy just yet, according to our findings, the thing works," Ishikawa retorted, "but it can only be used up to four times every twenty four hours. It's just a guess, but using it a fifth time in a row might be how the power outages occurred."

"What? Don't tell me you believe this crap?" Batou questioned with a frown starting to form. He then glanced around the room and let out a low groan. It probably was nonsense like Batou had said, but something caught my interest. A new world huh?

"I want to try it," I announced. It seem my statement had gotten different responses. Broma had an amused look on his face, I could see the hint of a smile on Ishikawa, the Chief look worried, and Batou's mouth was hanging open as he was probably trying to form an objection. I just stood my ground and crossed my arms, waiting for someone to break the silence.

"Major-" The Chief started before he was interrupted.

"No way! What if this thing, I don't know, sends you into the sun or something? C'mon now," Batou exclaimed while waving his hands around.

"The last reading reported that the gate was stable the last time it was used and formed a safe connection to the other side of whatever it linked to," Bruma spoke.

"We still have to catch Hoji and don't have time to wait. We have to keep in mind that he probably has a fully armed force. Now he's out there somewhere and I want to find where," I added. The Chief let out a soft sigh and put his hand to his chin. I'll admit this was a bit risky, but it wouldn't be the worst risk I ever took.

"I'd rather we spent time to prepare, but I suppose you have a point. Where ever this 'Hoji' went, he took enough black market weapons with him to start a war. Keep your com link open and make quick work with this 'Hoji'," the Chief answered.

"You've go to be kidding me! In that case I'm going too," Batou exclaimed.

"Fine by me," I retorted with a smirk. Broma must have been even more eager to try out the machine than me. As soon as I finished my sentence, a loud electronic buzzing filled the room and red lights began to flicker. A bright white light shone in the metal arch and the buzzing lowered in intensity.

"Got it! One at a time now," Broma smiled.

"Take this with you," I heard a voice sound behind me. I turned just in time to snatch a fresh mag out of the air.

"Thanks, Saito," I said to the sniper and turned my attention to the portal.

"If this man is as dangerous as we think, this will be a stealth mission. Bring Hoji back and we can force him to tell us about whatever it is he is trying to accomplish. Then the rest of the team will follow in taking out Hoji's armed force," the Chief explained.

"Understood," I answered and stepped up to the portal. I reached out a hand and touched the shimmering surface. Soft. Warm. The rest of the team looked on in anticipation. I closed my eyes and pushed the rest of my body forward, disappearing into the light.

* * *

I expected the portal to be similar to a dive. A tunnel of light connecting the two worlds together, or a plane of existence I would have to traverse to reach the new world, however, the portal was like breaking the surface of water. It was a seamless transition from one side to the next. I then felt myself falling.

I quickly twisted my body in midair and hit the ground with an audible thud. I opened my eyes to a brown room. The floor and walls were the same wooden texture and there were selves of books lined up on the walls.

My eyes then drifted over to a purple... thing. I couldn't explain it. The creature stood on four legs, had a violet fur coat, a mane or hair of deep violet and pink, and a horn atop it's head, but no animal had vibrant violet fur. I ran my scanners over the creature, but found no results. The creature had a look of surprise on its face and slowly backed away from me.

"Chief, do you read me?" No response, "Chief?"

"Umm... Hello?" The creature spoke. Instinct then took over. I quickly whipped out my CZ-100 and pointed it at the creature, but I didn't fire. I didn't know whether this thing was a child's toy or a living animal, but its movements seemed too real to be a machine. Perhaps a very advanced child's toy, but I was supposed to be in another world, not another part of the world.

"My name is Twilight Sparkle. What's yours?" the creature spoke. I slowly returned my gun to its holster, but I made sure to keep an eye on the creature. This could be a trap. What if this thing was some kind of greeting cyborg. If I arrived at this location, would not whoever else used the portal arrive at this same location? Hoji could be very close.

"Just Major for now. What are you?" I returned.

"I'm a pony. A unicorn to be exact. Why don't you make yourself comfortable and I'll put on some tea," the unicorn smiled and trotted out of sight. I took another look around the room and scanned various objects. The room I was in seemed to be a hollowed out tree. The book shelves were all wooden, as well as tables, chairs, and the couch's frame. Illumination was provided by candles rather than electrical lights. I glanced in the direction of where the unicorn went and could see a room with tile floors and light with the telltale glow of electrical illumination.

I took a seat on a nearby couch and focused my thoughts back on the creature. A unicorn huh? A mythical creature from a child’s story. Maybe I had traversed the barrier between space and into a new world, but before I could make any solid guesses I would have to confirm that this unicorn was an organic life form.

"Here we are, I hope you like it," the unicorn interrupted my thoughts as she set down two glasses of tea. What was more interesting is how it got the glasses in the room without spilling them. I was lost in thought when she brought them in, did it carry the glasses on her back, in her mouth?

"I-I'm sorry, I don't mean to stare. It's the first time I've seen a creature like you, but I suppose you have some questions for me," the unicorn stated.

"Twilight was it? State your manufacture and model number," I commanded. The majority of advanced children's toys had set voice commands and this one shouldn't be any different.

"Huh? I was born from a mother and father, just like everypony else," Twilight explained with a confused look on her face. I stood up from the couch and carefully approached the unicorn. She had a nervous look on her face and shifted uncomfortably.

"I'm not going to hurt you, I just checking for something," I said and sat down beside her. I then gently moved its mane to the side so I could get a good look at the back of its neck. Nothing. Not one point of connection. I applied gentle pressure to its skin. Nothing metal or hard, it's skin felt soft and I could feel the structure of muscle beneath. I then moved two fingers to the front of her neck and found a pulse. I could also feel and see the unicorn shake in fear as I felt around her neck, defiantly too real to be a machine. If this creature was organic, then it is entirely possible that Hoji entered this world from another point.

"You're entirely organic, are you not?" I asked.

"Umm, I'm not sure what you mean. How would I be anything else?" she returned. I opened my mouth to respond, but I decided showing her would be a lot easier than explaining. I turned away from her and moved the hair away from the back of my neck.

"See the slots there?" I asked.

"Yes," she replied.

"They are for connecting and sharing information. They link directly to my cyber brain. My body is fully cybernetic. I was checking to see if you were too," I explained.

"I'm not familiar with that term. Cybernetic?" she asked.

"It means that-," I started before there was a loud and frantic knocking at the door. I looked to the door and then back at Twilight.

"I'll get it, you just stay here," Twilight spoke and trotted to the door. Not wanting to be seen, I activated my cameo and became invisible to the naked eye. Twilight opened the door to a pale yellow smaller pony with a red mane and a pink bow. She had a look of worry on her face and seemed to be out of breath.

"Twilight, Twilight! Y'all gotta come quick! Me an tha girls were diggin' close to tha Everfree Forest, not in it but near in, an' then a big ole mantacore came out of tha forest an' I came runnin' fer help an' ya just gotta help the girls!" the frightened pony exclaimed in one breath through a thick southern accent.

"Don't worry Apple Bloom, I'll help them. I just need to get the other girls. Major could you...?" she replied and turned to find me missing. I quickly walked next to Twilight and toggled my cameo.

"Lead the way, if there are lives in danger then there's no time to gather help," I said, eager for action. If I could do something to win the trust of these ponies, then they might be more willing to help me in my search for Hoji. My questions would have to wait.

"Ack! Where did you-?" Twilight started before she was interrupted.

"Woah! Who er what are you!" the smaller pony exclaimed.

"Please, let's focus on the situation. Where are your friends little one?" I asked the pony.

"No, you can't go alone. This is a mantacore we're talking about. Body of a lion, poisonous tail of a scorpion, and wings. I need to gather the girls," Twilight panicked. Another mythical creature? This was starting to get interesting.

"Twilight, I'm a Major for a reason. I can handle myself," I calmly spoke. Twilight seems to mull over the decision over her head before answering.

"A-alight. The Everfree Forest is Northeast from here. The fillies should be at the entrance, right Apple Bloom?" Twilight asked.

"Uh-huh," Apple Bloom confirmed.

"I'm going to find Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. Apple Bloom, go get Rarity. Major, please be careful," Twilight said.

"I will, don't worry," I responded. I then activated my cameo and crossed the threshold into a whole new world.