• Published 31st Mar 2013
  • 868 Views, 38 Comments

Entries from the Diary of Amber Song - meerkat8472



Entries from the diary of Equestrias first artificial pony.

  • ...
2
 38
 868

Alone

February 5th 1005

Today was, horrible, just horrible, although I suppose it did end okay. I learned a couple of new emotions today, namely sadness and fear. It started this morning, when my mother and father agreed that I should try to go out on my own. Only for a short time though, just to pick up some apples from the marketplace. They encouraged me to talk to other ponies if the opportunity presented itself, but not to go out of my way to talk to everypony I see.

I was pleased with this idea, it meant that my mother and father trusted me to behave in a proper manner. I have been active for over two years now, however I had only come outside for the first time 15 days ago. This show of trust, after a relatively short period of time interacting with public, gave me more confidence in myself.

Over the last 15 days I have observed a lot of pony behavior, however few ponies have spoken to me or even asked about me. There is that mare at the diner that I've been to many times now, and one or two others, but that is all. My father said that ponies can sometimes be reluctant to talk to new ponies, especially if that new pony is somewhat different. I hoped being on my own might make me more approachable and I could meet some new ponies.

I had walked from my home and just turned onto Mane Street when I noticed some ponies looking at me with uncertain, or perhaps fearful expressions. Some of these ponies started quietly talking to each other. Having more sensitive hearing than organic ponies I was able to hear them quite easily, although they probably did not think I could. I heard things like:

“Who is that white mare?”

“Look at her eyes, so golden, they look so strange.”

“Which mare, the one with the black mane?”

“Yes, Oh, and look! She has no cutie mark, what sort of mare doesn't a cutie mark yet?”

“I think I've seen her hanging 'round with Doc Song”

“Julienne's husband? how strange, where did she come from?”

At this point I was starting to feel a bit anxious, it felt like I had drawn everypony's attention. I was thinking that maybe this was not such a good idea after all. I was about to turn around to return home when suddenly a young stallion approached me.

“Hey, who are you?” His tone sounded demanding.

“My name is Amber Song, it is a pleasure to meet you.” I was not actually feeling any pleasure at that time, but my father taught that to me as a standard greeting. “What is your name?”

Instead of answering my question, he asked another question of his own. “Song eh? So you must be related to Dr. Song then?”

I did not like his somewhat unpleasant tone, but decided to answer him anyway. “Yes, I am his daughter.”

“What?! That's impossible, no way could he have a daughter as old as you are.”

At this time a small crowd had gathered around us, I was feeling quite nervous. I realized I was shaking a little. I could not really focus on that at the time, however I later realized that this was my adrenaline simulation program operating. This program is designed to give me the 'fight or flight' reflex, as well as allow me to act more naturally under emotionally stressful conditions. This program also had the effect of making me stutter some of my words.

“O-oh, well, y-you see, I am only technically two years old.”

The stallion scoffed “Ha! Pull the other one.” he said obviously not believing me.

“Th-that is b-because I-I am an ar-artificial lifeform. I-I may look adult, but I have always l-looked like this.”

“You're a what now?” the stallion asked, a few murmurs from the crowd suggesting they wanted to know the answer to that as well.

“A-a m-machine, a r-robot if you prefer.” I said with a smile that probably was interpreted as nervous.

“A robot? Why on earth would the Doc make a robot? A robot daughter at that?”

Before I could answer that, a filly near the front of the crowd spoke up. “Maybe he's trying to replace somepony he lost?”

Somepony near the back called out. “Maybe he wants somepony to do everything for him, like a slave?”

Then there was a rush of voices.

“A slave, that's horrible.”

“Maybe he's trying to make a whole bunch of these things as a cheap labor force?”

“My stars! He could replace anypony with a copy. Anypony could be a machine!”

“We don't need no stinkin' machines on our farms.”

“Yeah, what's he thinking?”

I backed away from the crowd that was slowing advancing toward me. I bumped into the front wall of the building I had been in front of. I was surrounded by a crowd of at least thirty ponies by this time, forming a semicircle around me. I was shaking terribly as I sat down with my back against the wall. I felt like I wanted to be anywhere but there, but there was no escape route. All the voices and shouting had blurred together, I could no longer understand them. I realized then, that I was afraid, I honestly thought these ponies were going to hurt me.

It is true that as a machine I can handle much greater stresses than an organic pony, but I am not indestructible, if they wanted to hurt me, they could manage it eventually. Somepony threw a paper cup full of coffee at me, on impact it splashed hot coffee all over me, but it did no damage to my synthetic skin. Somepony else threw a carrot at me, and somepony else a rock. I felt terrified, but also rejected, like nopony wanted me. I felt like crying for the first time in my life, but I do not have the capacity to cry. So I just curled myself into a ball against that wall and waited for it all to end. I had never felt so alone, so hated.

Then I heard a thump in front of me and a collective gasp from the crowd, followed by a sudden silence. I lifted my head a little to see what happened. In front of me was a purple alicorn mare, her wings spread, facing the crowd in what seemed to be an aggressive stance.

“WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!” Her voice boomed out at an amazing volume, obviously magically amplified.

Almost everypony in the crowd had dropped into a bow, a mare at the front looked up from her lowered position and timidly spoke.

“P-Princess T-Twilight, th-that p-pony isn't a p-pony, it's some kind of m-machine. It d-doesn't even h-have a c-cutie m-mark”

“I KNOW THIS!” Princess Twilight boomed, causing the crowd to collectively flinch. She decided then to deactivate her amplification spell, but still spoke loudly and with anger in her voice as she continued. “But why are you attacking her? Is this really the way you want to go about solving your problems?” The tone of voice carried an edge of disappointment toward the end.

The stallion who first approached me spoke up next. “Princess, you knew of this? Why have you not acted? She could be a danger to everypony!”

“What?” The Princess sounded surprised. “Why would you all think Amber is a danger to you?”

“S-she could replace us.” one pony yelled out

“Take away our jobs.” Came another.

“She's not a real pony, she could turn against us and kill us all!” A young colt near the front shouted.

“Okay, hold it there everypony!” The Princess demanded. “Amber is not a threat to anypony.” She looked in the direction where the first comment came from. ”she is not going to replace anypony, Amber can't change her appearance.” She looked to her right where the second comment came from. “There is only one of her, she can only work one job, and there are no plans to build more like her either.” She then looked to the young colt at the front. “And I think you've been reading too many comic books.” The colt gave a sheepish smile.

“Can you really be sure of all that Princess?” A mare called out.

“Yes, I can.” She replied “Long ago Dr. Song came to me with the idea of creating an artificial lifeform. At first I wasn't sure about the idea, yes it was exciting scientifically speaking, but like you, I wondered if it was safe. He then went on to explain that he was trying to create a daughter for himself and his wife, and that there would be many safeguards built into her. After much consideration, and examining of the safeguards he proposed, I decided to give the project the go ahead. One such safeguard is that she can never harm another pony, except in defense of another pony. I think you've all proven that that safeguard works, she has enough strength that she could have barged right through you all and escaped, but she didn't. She stayed and faced your unprovoked attack.”

A murmur of disagreement rumbled through the crowd at that last statement. The Princess turned and walked up next to me and turned back to the crowd. “Look and her, she has feelings you know, you've terrified the poor girl out of her mind.” I had returned to a sitting position by this point, but I was still shaking terribly and I could not bring myself to lift my head to face the crowd. Princess Twilight put a wing over me protectively, my shaking increased at first, but slowed when she pulled me against her side. “I'm so sorry Amber.” She said to me but she said it loud enough for the crowd to hear. “I didn't think the town would react this way to you, I thought they had learned from the incident with Zecora.” I admit I do not know who Zecora is, but several ponies in the crowd groaned and whined at the mention of that name.

Princess Twilight Sparkle then turned to the crowd and announced loudly “Let it be known by all, that from this day forth, this pony is under my personal protection. If anypony hurts her, they'll have to answer to me.” Nopony in the crowd said anything at that, so she continued. “I'm very disappointed in all of you, I advise you get to know Amber before judging her, now disperse all of you!” she waved her free wing in a sweeping gesture to emphasize her command. Everypony left the area in a great rush. Then it was quiet, just me and the Princess, alone in a mostly empty street with her wing still around me.

Princess Twilight sighed heavily and hung her head low next to mine. “I'm so sorry Amber, I don't know what came over them, this isn't how I envisaged your introduction to Ponyville going at all.”

“A-actually, I have b-been out several t-times in the last t-two weeks or so. Th-this was just my first t-time out a-alone. I-I was j-just going to b-buy some apples and go h-home.” The anxiousness I was feeling before was only made worse because now I was talking to a Princess. Not just any Princess, but Princess Twilight Sparkle, Element of Magic, saviour of Equestria many times over, and the pony who authorized my creation. Not to mention she just saved me, I was quite in awe of this amazing pony.

“Oh, I see.” She replied. “Their behavior was still unacceptable, I can't believe they treated you like that.”

“Th-they were just a-afraid of something d-different, I-I do not really b-blame them.” I said.

“Oh Amber, you're such a kind pony, just like your father hoped you'd be.” She said while squeezing me a bit tighter in her wing hug.

“N-not really, I-I just try to u-understand o-other ponies.” I said, somewhat embarrassed at being complemented by a Princess.

Then I saw the mare from the diner running toward us shouting “Amber, Amber, are you okay sweetheart?” She came to a skidding halt in front of us, she saw the Princess and dropped into a bow. “P-p-princess T-Twilight.” She stammered.

“It's okay miss, you don't have to bow to me, do you know Amber?” The Princess asked while coaxing her to stand.

“Y-yes Princess, she did me a great kindness only a short time ago.” She said.

“Oh really?” Said the Princess as she looked toward me.

“I-it is a c-confidential m-matter.” I said to her.

“Y-yes.” Said the mare from the diner. “But let's just say if it weren't for Amber here, I'd be going out of business right now.”

Princess Twilight turned to face me and smiled. “See, you are a kind pony Amber.” She said as she rubbed her wing up and down my back. I must admit all of this attention from the Princess was calming me down a bit.

“T-thank you Princess.” I said with a nervous smile. I may have been calmer, but I was still shaking a bit.

The mare from the diner noticed my shaking. “Goodness, sweetheart, you're shaking.” She put a foreleg around my neck just above the Princess' wing. “Come with me to the diner, I'll treat you to a milkshake.”

Remembering her financial troubles I quickly said. “No, no, I-I could not a-ask you to do that.”

She was about to say something when the Princess spoke up. “Here.” She said, taking her wing from my back while at the same time levitating some bits from her saddlebags. “Have it on me, it's the least I can do for you Amber.” She gave me an apologetic look, she must think she has some responsibility for what happened.

“Th-thank you.” I said putting the bits into my saddlebags. “But y-you have nothing to be sorry for P-Princess, it was not your f-fault. You could not have p-prevented this or f-foreseen it.

Princess Twilight smiled “Thank you Amber, go enjoy a milkshake and try to relax.”

I was then escorted to the diner by the mare who owns it. She gave me a strawberry milkshake, which I paid for with the Princess' money. I was just about finished when an orange coated mare with a blonde mane and tail and wearing a stetson came into the diner. She looked around until she saw me. She smiled and approached my table.

“Howdy, name's Applejack, I reckon you must be Amber.”

I had heard of this mare, Applejack the Element of Honesty. “That is correct, I am Amber Song, It is a pleasure to meet you Miss Applejack.” I really meant it this time as Applejack seemed really friendly.

“Aw, shucks, no need to go being all formal like, just call me Applejack.”

“Okay.” I said with a smile. She smiled back.

“Well sugarcube, I just came by cause Twilight said you were looking to buy some apples, 'fore you had a little trouble with the townsfolk.” She said, shaking her head a bit. “Twi said ya might be here, so I brung ya a bag of apples, will this be enough?” She said then grabbed a bag of about ten apples from her saddlebags.

“Oh, that should be plenty.” I said “What do I owe you?”

“Aw, shoot, don'tcha worry 'bout that sugarcube, you been through a lot today, they're on me.”

At this point I felt a slight warm feeling inside me at this gesture of kindness. It did not really cancel out the feeling that I was not wanted in this town, but it helped a bit. “Thank you Applejack.” I then gave her an even bigger smile.

“You're welcome sugarcube, well, I gotta get back to my apple stand, catch ya round Amber.” She said as she headed for the door.

“Goodbye Applejack, and thank you again.” I called after her, she smiled at me as she walked out the door.

I returned home after I had finished my milkshake. I came in the door and my mother and father came over to me right away eager to hear how it went. “It did not go well.” I told them.

“Oh no.” My mother said and immediately came over to hug me tightly. “Tell us what happened.”

I related the story to them, the confrontation, the attack, being saved by Princess Twilight, all of it. At some point during the story my mother started sobbing into my mane. My father just looked sad and a bit angry, though he seemed to calm down when I got the part with the Princess.

“...And so in the end I got the apples, but I do not think many ponies in this town want me here.” I said while looking down at the floor.

“I'm so sorry Amber, we shouldn't have let you go out alone.” My mother said, slightly muffled by my mane.

“It is not your fault mother, it likely would have happened eventually anyway.” I said while rubbing my hoof up and down her back. My father came over and hugged both of us at once and we just stayed there holding each other for a while.

We spent the rest of the day indoors, just doing things together. I helped my mother bake a cake. I helped my father reorganize his workshop, after he had given me a thorough inspection for any damage that may have been caused by the attack, there was none. I then came to my room to write this diary entry. I think I will ask my parents if I can sleep in their room tonight. I know that seems a bit foalish but with all the rejection I faced today, I do not feel like being alone. I hope tomorrow will be a better day.