• Published 4th Feb 2012
  • 6,209 Views, 16 Comments

One Bye One - The Drifting Bard



stemming from a poigniant moment i had while gazing at the stars: life is a fleeting concept

  • ...
6
 16
 6,209

Goodbye Spike: part 2


Ponyville had fallen quiet; the autumn leaves gently falling to the ground.
The casket was carried out; the small dragon was lying inside, in a grand suit.
The church was filled with Ponies of different backgrounds; each one had been affected by Spike in some way. Word had travelled far and wide. The silence was broken by stifled sobs. The sun goddess began her sermon, oblivious to the rain falling gently on the leaves. “We are gathered here today, to say farewell,” the Princess drew a breath, wiping away a small tear. “to say farewell to Spike the dragon…” the sermon continued on until she finally stopped. “And now if any one would like to say a few words” Celestia had finished. Twilight got to her feet and slowly trotted to the stand, wiping away fresh tears.
She began to speak.

“Spike was always there, lending a helping hand whenever necessary, always cheering ponies up when they were down, I took him for granted in some ways,” her voice began to break. “he used to tell me about how he would try to win Rarity’s heart, or how he had stumbled upon a new book hidden within the library,” she let out a small chuckle “he was always making me laugh…” she trailed off as she lowered her head, The tears freely flowing from her eyes. She trotted off, sitting down next to her Former tutor. Celestia looked down at the trembling, sobbing purple pony, and then placed her wing over Twilight’s shoulder.

The purple mare had her heart broken, not by a selfish Colt, but by the loss of one of her closest friends. She looked over to Spike’s still form “he looks so peaceful” she sighed.

Applejack helped Rarity to her hooves, gently trotting alongside her. “Ya’ll ready?” the orange mare asked. Rarity tried to keep her composure, her make up slowly running down her tear stained cheeks. She nodded.
She stepped up to speak. “Spike was my knight in scaled armour, he would always go out of his way to help me,” she started to feel bad “and what did I do? I gave him gems and accessories which he didn’t really need,” the tears streaming down her cheeks blended in with her black make up. “The Dragon loved me, and I was too stupid to realize it until it was too late,” she was choking on her own words. “It’s my fault” she broke down. Applejack rushed to carry her off.
“Hey Sugarcube, no-one’s ta blame” the cowpony spoke in her usual southern drawl, only this time, her voice was filed with one emotion.

Sorrow.

Everypony in the church was in tears, Pinkie Pie’s mane was still deflated. Fluttershy hid her bloodshot eyes behind her light pink mane. Rainbow Dash, just sat there, emotionless, cold and stoic.

Celestia was very good at controlling her emotions, she had to be.
Ever since she had banished her little sister to the moon, she had to keep things bottled up. The white alicorn wasn’t about to give in now. But she let a few tears go, hoping no-one would notice.

The casket was carried outside; a freshly dug hole was waiting. The elements of harmony were brought together once more. Circled around the casket, they laid flowers upon the tomb.

The casket was lowered into the ground; Rainbow finally let her emotions show once more, collapsing to the floor.
The bitter sting of tears staining her fur, she cried, not caring who watched.
Fluttershy placed a wing over the sobbing cyan Pegasus’s shoulder.
Rarity was clutching Applejack so tightly. Pinkie pie was attempting to get Twilight out of a semi-catatonic state.

Twilight walked over to fresh tombstone, rested her forehead ever so gently on it
A faint whisper was heard… the tear drops gently pitter pattering on the stone.

“Goodbye Spike”