• Published 30th Mar 2013
  • 12,416 Views, 141 Comments

A Cartoonist in Equestria - Autismo555



After his older sister's death, an aspiring 15-year-old cartoonist runs away from home, wishing for a better chance at life. A cyclone sends him to the most unlikeliest of all places: Equestria!

  • ...
29
 141
 12,416

Chapter 21: Another Day, Another Bit

Chapter 21: Another Day, Another Bit

Princess Celestia yawned as her biological alarm clock awoken her from her peaceful and graceful slumber. A brush wrapped in golden light floated to the Princess of the Sun and stroked her messy ethereal mane. Gently she brought her royal regalia, horseshoes and her crown to her. She gave herself a good stretch of her legs and walked out to go raise her beloved sun from its nightly slumber.

Celestia walked out to the balcony where she raised her sun daily. She lit her horn into her golden light. Little by little, the great orb of light rose from behind the mountains. The once shadowed Equestria was blessed by the warm light radiating by the sunrise. All Royal Night Guards switched posts with the Royal Day Guards as Celestia walked from her balcony to the hallways.

Daintily stepping through the hallways decorated with stained glass windows, Celestia yawned and prepared herself for the Day Court to begin. When she walked through the main hall of Canterlot Castle, she spotted her sister Luna, who looked out of the windows at the staircase. She did not utter a word.

“Good morning, Luna. Have your guards caught the Blurry Thief yet?”

Luna did not respond to her sister’s morning welcome.

“You may rest, sister. I’ll be taking the day shift now.”

“How could you?”

Celestia turned to Luna. The dark alicorn’s tone sounded very peeved.

“Luna?”

“HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO YOUR OWN STUDENT AND THAT POOR BOY!?”

Luna turned to Celestia. Her face was soaked by tears mixed in with a very angry and upset face. To complete this negative feel, Luna used her Royal Canterlot Voice towards her own sister. This alone was enough to reel Celestia back.

“What are you speaking of, Luna?” the ivory alicorn asked.

“I’M SPEAKING OF WHAT YOU DID TO TWILIGHT SPARKLE AND THE HUMAN NAMED HAROLD! I VISITED THEIR DREAMS, CELESTIA! I LOOKED THROUGH THEIR MEMORIES! I’VE SEEN THE MEMORY LOCKS YOU’VE ENCHANTED WITHIN THEIR SUBCONSCIOUS! YOUR MEMORY LOCKS! YOU’VE USED THOSE SPELLS ON THEM, CELESTIA! HAVE YOU NOT REALIZED WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO THEM WHEN THOSE LOCKS FINALLY BREAK!?”

Celestia held her breath in shock. Then she sighed.

“Luna, listen to me. FIrst off, do not use the Royal Canterlot Voice on this situation. Nopony must know what we did to our subjects. Second, there is a good reason why I was forced to use the spells on them. And lastly--”

“A GOOD REASON!? WHAT GOOD REASON IS THERE WHEN YOU LOCKED THE MEMORIES OF TWILIGHT AND HER NEW COMPANION!? I’M BEGINNING TO THINK THEY’RE NOT NEW COMPANIONS AT ALL, CELESTIA! AND YOU’VE NEGLECTED TO TELL THEM THE SIGNS OF HIS RETURN! ALL OF EQUESTRIA MIGHT FALL BECAUSE OF...BECAUSE O-O-OFFFF...”

Luna broke down sobbing again. Celestia trotted over to her sister and nuzzled her.

“Luna, there is another reason for your behavior isn’t there?” Luna whimpered an “mmm-hmm” as she sniffled again.

“When...When I went into the boy’s dreams...I saw Him.” Celestia’s eyes widened. “He was invoking a nightmare, Tia. He and the Stormbow are trying to break him. I...I dug deep into his memories...” Luna sobbed once more. “Oh, Tia, it was sad I...I..”

Celestia wrapped her sister in her wing’s embrace.

“Luna, if talking about it cannot do you any good, then you must show me. What was it that you saw last night?”

Luna sniffled once more and lit her horn a night sky blue. She connected it to Celestia’s horn, wrapping it in the blue aura as the ivory alicorn could see what Luna saw. The nightmare and the memories of Harold DeMatt.

=====================================================================

The sun shone through the glass windows of the Golden Oaks Library. Harold slowly opened his eyes to the warm and gentle light. They were encrusted with gunk and crust. After a nightmare like that, Harold barely kept himself asleep by only a couple of times. He looked at the clock outside in the field.

6:48 A.M.

“Perfect,” Harold complained in his head. “Not only did I not get my 8-hour sleep, now I wake up so early in the morning. Stupid nightmare.”

Harold tried in vain to shut his eyes back into a sleeping state for five more minutes. Unfortunately, his eyes were burning and watering, so he couldn’t keep them closed by five seconds. He finally gave up on sleeping, stretched himself, slipped on his shoes, put his locket on over his head and proceeded to the staircase leading downstairs.

“Morning, Owlowiscious.”

The owl perched up on the rack was sleeping his way through the daytime. Harold put on his new jacket and proceeded downstairs.

It took all of Harold’s counterbalance to prevent him from taking a nasty tumble down the stairs. Tiredly, he searched every room in the foyer until at last, he found the beautiful white throne waiting for him to do his morning business, to which he did.

FLUSH!

“Ahhh, that’s a relief,” Harold muttered.

Then something sweet swept through his nostrils. It smelled like batter frying on a frying pan in the kitchen and eggs being cooked sunny side up. He could hear the sizzling of the frying pan and the happy humming of a little boy echoing from the kitchen.

“I knew something was different. I didn’t hear Spike snore when I woke up.”

Harold walked in the kitchen and found that his senses were correct. Spike was happily tending to the eggs while he flipped a stack of pancakes onto a plate on the counter. Another stack of pancakes sat on another plate, only these breakfast treats were decorated in rubies, sapphires and emeralds.

“Morning, Spike.”

“AAHHH!”

In response to the sudden shock, Spike flipped the eggs from the pan onto Harold’s eyes.

“AAAUUUUGGGGHHH!”

The human screamed in pain as the egg burned into his face, causing him to run around the library yelling, “Dammit! Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!” repeatedly. Spike jerked himself around for a solution to end Harold’s painful experience. He looked and found an empty glass. He quickly filled it with water and splashed it on the human’s face.

The eggs sizzled their last as Harold slipped them off of his eyes. The area around the eyes were red and slightly burnt, but no other damage was done. Harold opened his burnt eyes and looked at Spike, who smiled sheepishly.

“S-Sorry about that, Harold,” the young dragon apologized shakily.

“No, Spike it’s fine.” Harold touched the burnt areas and winced. “I guess that’s one way to wake up in the morning.”

Spike laughed nervously.

“But seriously, Spike, you’ve gotta stop getting scared every time we make eye contact. That’s becoming a common mistake here in this household.” Harold dabbed a cold, wet cloth to the burnt areas at his eye.

“Sorry. I’m still trying to get used to having an alien living in our house,” Spike explained.

“I just hope all of Ponyville does the same.”

*GRRROOOOWWWWLLLLL*

Harold’s stomach grumbled.

“You know, speaking of food, let’s have breakfast. I’m starving.”

“Okay.” Spike grabbed a plate and grabbed four pancakes and set them on the platter for Harold. “What do you want on your pancakes? Berries, butter, maple syrup.”

“You know, berries would sound nice,” Harold said as he poured himself a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice. “And maybe a dab of maple syrup, too. Could I have the eggs that also stuck to my face?”

Spike slipped Harold the eggs, while adding a mix of blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries at the topmost flapjack and covered them with a bit of the sweet syrup that oozed viscously downwards underneath each crack. Harold’s mouth became a waterfall of pouring saliva as he observed this array of pancakes and eggs served to him.

Harold took the first bite.

Then he found his mind going blank. The sugary sweetness of the syrup, mixed with the fluffiness of the pankcakes, adding in the tartness of the berries were enough to snap him back and wolfed down the

“Delicious!” he shouted. “These are the best pancakes I’ve ever eaten!”

“I’m glad you like it,” Spike said, chowing down on his gem-encrusted breakfast. “I’ve taken culinary classes in Canterlot when Twilight and I lived there.”

“Wow. You must’ve scored an A+ in that class because this is good!” Harold gulped down the pancake slices and went for another bite. “And I mean, really good!”

Spike blushed. “Awww, come on.”

The young dragon bit into his pancake and munched it. The gems he crunched on raised so much questions for Harold.

“Hey, how come you’re eating gems in your pancake? Doesn’t that hurt?”

Spike swallowed his pancake before he answered the human. “Oh that? Well, I eat gems. Since dragons usually go for...*shudder*...meat, I prefer to eat these little beauties, plus whatever everypony eats.” The dragon munched on another piece. “And don’t worry, dragon teeth are harder that rock, so I can chew them no problem!”

“Okaaaayyy.”

That also raised so many questions. But since it was breakfast time, Harold didn’t want to spoil it with asking.

Coming from upstairs, the duo heard Twilight’s groaning along with a set of hoofsteps coming downstairs. They looked at the staircase and suddenly broke out in laughter.

Twilight came down looking like a wreck. Her eyes were baggy, red and decorated with crust. Her mane was frizzy, messy and totally out of shape. Her wings were messed up and drooping like a dying houseplant.

“Good morning, Sleepy Beauty,” Harold said, suppressing his giggle. “Get a good night’s sleep?”

Twilight yawned and rubbed her eyes. “Actually, Harold, I didn’t get a good sleep. I had a nightmare last night.”

Harold’s giggling suddenly stopped, but that didn’t stop Spike from laughing. “Which nightmare was it? The one where you were at the graduation ceremony and wore nothing but a pantyhose on stage!?” The dragon laughed until he fell off the counter.

“A nightmare? Last night?” Harold put his index finger knuckle under his lower lip. “Strange. I do remember hearing tossing and turning at Twilight’s bed last night. I wonder if she was dreaming about something worse than me?”

Twilight levitated her plate with the pancakes and added butter and maple syrup, a classic pancake combination. She ate her pancakes with her eyes half shut while she levitated a mug of coffee to her mouth and drank it.

“What was that dream last night?” Twilight thought as she finished her sip. “All I heard were voices. I recognize those voices and I recognize the time, but I can’t remember when that whole scenario took place. It happened ten years ago, but...when was that?”

“Twilight?”

The alicorn stopped eating and looked at Harold. At least he looked better than she did when she got out of bed.

“Twilight? Do you need to get to bed again? You look like you were spacing out again.”

“I’m fine,” Twilight grumbled. Her vision came into focus better as her eyes slowly opened all the way. “Hey, Harold, is your face alright? The areas around your eyes look kind of red.”

“I’m fine,” Harold mimicked. “I just had a little disagreement with breakfast.”

“I’m surprised you didn’t wake up to that, Twilight,” Spike said. “He was so loud, he would’ve came in second place in Equestria’s Canterlot Voice Competition.”

“And who would come in first?”

“You would, Twilight.” Spike giggled and Harold broke into a smile.

Twilight laughed back sarcastically with a deadpanned look. “Heheheheh, not funny. Spike, could go out and get the mail for me?”

Spike got up and walked the door to the mailbox. A few seconds later, Spike came in with a bunch of envelopes in his claws, all being thrown away as the dragon plainly read off the mail. “Bills, bills, bills, magazine, magazine subscription, packaged letter, bills, bills...Huh, that’s weird.”

Both human and alicorn turned to the dragon.

“What? What’s weird?” Twilight asked.

“There’s a parchment scroll addressed to one ‘Monster and Princess Twilight Sparkle. From Mayor Mare.’”

“She means me, doesn’t she?” Harold asked with his spirit slightly crushed.

“Well don’t just stand there, Spike. Read it to us,” Twilight ordered.

Spike cleared his throat and opened up the letter.

“Dearest Princess Twilight Sparkle,

It has come to my attention that the ponies of Ponyville are complaining about a monster living in the confines of your home. As Mayor of Ponyville, I must recommend we meet in private and talk regarding the monster.

As much as I hate to respond to the morbid and mildly disturbing complaints about this two-legged beast, I am the voice of Ponyville ponies and I will do anything to help maintain the wellbeing of our fair pop-u-lace?”

“Very good, Spike,” Twilight cooed. “Please keep reading.”

And Spike did so.

“Therefore, we must meet today in the Town Hall at noon and discuss how we may be able to deal with this situation.

Sincerely,

Mayor Mare, Mayor of Ponyville.”

Twilight and Harold sat on the stools, appalled, mortified and exasperated.

“WHAT!? Mayor Mare is against having Harold staying here!?” Twilight yelled.

“I don’t know, Twilight. That’s up for her to decide.”

“Ponyville has a mayor?” Harold asked.

“Of course we do. She helps me with political business.” Twilight leaned closer into the teenager’s face. “Why? Did you think just because I was a Princess that I would rule over our fair town?”

Harold stammered.

“How am I getting out of this one?”

Twilight huffed. “That doesn’t matter now. What matters is making sure Mayor Mare is comfortable with having you stay in Ponyville. She’s no princess, but she does hold some power in her house.”

“So what are gonna do, Twilight?” Spike asked, worried for his new bipedal friend.

“I’ve got a pretty good idea, Spike. I’ll talk to the Mayor and convince her to let our esteemed guest stay in Ponyville.” Twilight turned to the human. “Meanwhile, you will be visiting Pinkie Pie and Applejack like you promised. Now might be a good time for you to go while everpony is still in their houses.”

Harold felt a bit hurt. “You mean now? But why?”

“Because I saw how uncomfortable everypony made you feel when you first arrived here. You don’t want to take that chance, do you?”

The human pondered a bit. “No I do not.”

“Good. Why don’t you get your stuff together and get going before everypony’s out and about?”

Harold gave a salute to Twilight’s order. “Will do, Your Highness.”

With that said, he quickly obtained his sketchbook, art supplies and his iPod before he walked out of the door with his trusty bicycle by his side. Thank goodness for Twilight’s close observation. Windows were shut. Birds were singing their melodious tune. Only a few ponies were out on the streets, most of them setting up their shops for their business to thrive daily.

Harold looked both ways like he was crossing the street. Then, in a creeping creeping silence, minus the spokes of his bike going “click, click, click, click,” he rode off into the direction of Sugarcube Corner.

As soon as the human rode off from the library, Twilight took advantage of this time to ponder how she could convince Mayor Mare to let Harold stay. Of course, Spike sat himself on the counter, edgy and suspenseful for Twilight’s meeting.

“So what’s the plan, Twilight? How are you gonna get through to the Mayor?”

Twilight tapped her chin with her hoof. “I’ve got a good idea how, Spike. Don’t worry, everything’s going to be just fine.”

“That’s what worries me the most,” Spike mumbled.

=====================================================================

Pinkie Pie zipped and zoomed all over Sugarcube Corner, getting everything ready and organized for the arrival of her new otherworldly friend. Watching this display of excitement were two Earth ponies who owned the sweet shop. One was a slightly chubby blue mare with a pank mane that looked like icing covering her head. The other was a yellow stallion with an orange mane and a square chin.

The husband-and-wife team were both wearing an uncertain look for their apprentice and #1 employee.

“Pinkie, dear, are you sure you’re alright with that...thing staying over here?” the mare asked shakily.

“I’m sure as Celestia I am, Mrs. Cake,” Pinkie said jovially. “Don’t you worry about a thing. Harold’s a really, really, REALLY good guy once you get to know him better like me and Twilight and Rarity and Rainbow--”

“I-I-I’m not sure about this, Pinkie Pie” the stallion said. “What of our foals, Pound and Pumpkin?”

“No worries, Mr. Cake. I totally promise that he won’t hurt them one bit!” Then a knocking was heard coming from the door. Pinkie’s eyes expanded for she knew who was outside the shop. “It’s him! I’ll get it!”

The pink pony shot to the door and opened it, revealing to be none other than...

“Hiya, Harold! How’s my new hyoo...hue...ummm, how’s my new friend doing!?”

“To be honest, Pinkie, I’m a bit tired.” Harold rubbed his still drowsy eye. “I had a wicked bad nightmare last night.”

“Awww, I’m sorry to hear that,” Pinkie Pie said, grabbing the human’s arm. “Well, come inside! I want you to meet the owners and my employers! I promise that they’re super super nice!!” The pink pony pulled her human companion inside, leaving his bicycle just outside of Sugarcube Corner.

=====================================================================

A shocked Celestia could not dam the tears when she saw what Luna saw. She saw only pain, sadness and misery embedded in the memories of Harold. The way the human described the world he lived in was put mildly compared to living the memories of Harold’s life.

“My stars,” Celestia muttered. “I thought the Earth Harold described was depressed like he said it was, but I never thought of it as both cruel and destitute.”

The ivory alicorn trotted to her sister and shared another wing embrace. In a moment of silence, they shed their tears in deepest condolences for the boy’s sudden tragedy. Celestia gently undid the embrace, slipping on another stoic mask to her face and proceeded to her throne room.

“Tia. What can we do now?” Luna asked her sister.

“You go get some rest, Luna. I’ll contact Twilight Sparkle first thing after the Day Court goes into intermission. I must have them know everything that has happened in Harold’s tragic life.” Celestia looked back at Luna with a saddened smile. “Trust me, little sister. Everything will be fine.”

The dark alicorn turned and trotted her way back to her room for her daytime rest. Celestia continued trotting to her vast throne room for her Day Court to begin with a happy smile on her delicate visage. But deep down inside, she was filled with both sorrow and regret.

“Harold...I’m so sorry I put you through all of this.”