• Published 8th May 2013
  • 592 Views, 13 Comments

What Happened When He Died - Lady Spider



When the loss of a loved friend becomes too much to bear, will it ever be possible to revive the power of love and friendship?

  • ...
2
 13
 592

Prologue: The Good Die Young

Chapter One
The Good Die Young

-12 Years Ago-

“Have fun!”

I trembled. My mother had just dropped me off at school for the first time. I looked into Miss Cheerilee’s room. Excited earth ponies and pegasi were walking around, taking seats, and chattering happily. My eyes grew wide as I realized I was the only unicorn in the class. I breathed deeply.

Okay, Easel. You can do this.

I trotted lightly into the classroom, glancing around fearfully. Somepony started giggling and I got nervous, starting to walk a little slower. My mane fell slightly, hiding my face. I went to take a seat, and a pink pegasus with a deep purple mane quickly sat down and sneered at me. Hot with shyness, I smiled sheepishly and turned to take a different desk. A yellow earth filly with a bright blue mane stole the seat and sneered at me as well. Everytime I turned to a chair, somepony sat in it. Then the names started.

“Hornhead!” scoffed the pink pegasus. The room burst out laughing. Somepony else called out “Pokey!”

I felt tears rising. A hoof gently touched my shoulder, causing me to jump. A smiling pale orange colt with a blonde mane that had one green streak was standing next to me. Instantly, the laughter stopped. The others looked at the colt with a look of fondness and respect.

“Hi!” He greeted cheerfully. “I’m Sprint Pass. What’s your name?”

I stared at him, forgetting my name for a moment. This was so different from the name calling and seat stealing that I had just been treated to. “Um... Easel...”

Sprint beamed at me. “Well, hello Easel! Come sit next to me!”

“O-okay.”

I followed the happy colt to the back row of seats, trying to ignore the glare the pink pegasus was throwing my way. I sat next to Sprint and smiled involuntarily. His smile was contagious.

My smile faltered for a moment, as I spotted the pink pegasus whisper something to the yellow earth pony. Miss Cheerilee entered.

“Good morning class!” She sang.

“Good morning Miss Cheerilee.” We chanted back.

“I am so very lucky to have such a full class this year. How about we go through everypony’s names?”

She then pointed at each of us, letting us say our names. The pink pegasus and yellow filly’s names, I made sure to remember: Dressa Randy and Linia Glittereyes.

The embarrassing events of the morning were nearly forgotten. Miss Cheerilee was a wonderful teacher, and Sprint helped me with my letters. The time flew by quickly and soon Miss Cheerilee announced recess. Everypony scrambled out to the playground except me. I was determined to learn my “b” from my “d”. Eventually, I could tell them apart, and I proudly made my way to the playground.

“Hornhead.” The snickers went through the yard like a wave.

“Pokey.” “Weasel.” “Hornhead.”

Dressa and Linia were standing in front of me with wide smiles on their faces. I shrank a little. The rest of my peers were scattered behind them, watching and laughing at my discomfort.

“Why don’t you go home, Weasel?” Dressa sneered. “We don’t need any hornheads like you here.”

I cowered, tears forming in my eyes. I didn’t understand why they had to make fun of me. A pony appeared behind Dressa. Her ears pricked up and she turned. Sprint was standing behind Dressa with a slightly irritated look on his face.

“Dressa. I’ll tell Aunt you’re causing trouble.”

Dressa flushed scarlet and stumbled back. Sprint trotted up to me and his smile returned to his face.

“Don’t mind my cousin...” He hugged me. “Wanna play some soccer?”




Three years of school passed like this. The summers I would spend playing soccer with Sprint. He was the first to get his cutie mark: a soccer ball, no surprise.

The fourth year of school started the same as the past three. But it ended much differently
.

-8 Years Ago-

The beginning of the year started as any other although there was not as much name calling with Sprint hanging out with me so often.

“Hey Easel!”

I turned, grinning. Sprint was running up to me, Celestia knows he never walked if he didn’t have to, with his huge happy smile on his face. We had spent all summer together playing soccer in the field, but we still got excited to see each other.

“Hey Sprint.” I was still a quieter pony.

The little orange colt reached me and started giggling. “I showed Miss Cheerilee my cutie mark and she was so happy for me!”

During one of the soccer matches that summer, Sprint had performed this super kick and not only won, but earned his cutie mark too: a little soccer ball in front of a sun.

“That’s great!” The bell rang and we dashed into the schoolroom, still giggling.

Our class hadn’t changed much since the first year. A few new ponies had joined, and one colt from our class had moved to Manehatten, but other than that, the same ponies we started with still made our entire class. Linia and Dressa sneered at me as I entered, of course, but I simply ignored them. Sprint wouldn’t let them say anything to me. He was like a protector in that sort of way.

Miss Cheerilee smiled at the class. “Good morning class! Welcome back!”

“Good morning, Miss Cheerilee!” We chanted. Everypony loved Miss Cheerliee.

Our teacher smiled at us and turned to the board. “Alright, to start the year off we are going to learn...”

Next to me, Sprint collapsed. At first I thought he was joking around, but then he didn’t respond to my calling.

“Sprint... Sprint...” I hissed. No response. “Miss Cheerilee! I think Sprint is sick!”

Miss Cheerilee paused in her talking. “Sprint?” When he didn’t respond to her, she sent us out. “Alright, everypony go play. I’ll talk to Sprint for a few moments.”

Everypony walked out slowly, whispering amongst each other. Even Linia and Dressa lost their airs and looked worried, almost scared. I sat for an extra moment, watching Miss Cheerilee walk toward Sprint, then got up and stepped outside. I didn’t want to be away from Sprint. Somehow I felt responsible. I was sitting next to him after all...

The playground was covered in muted whispers. No one screamed or ran or played. We all stood around wondering what was happening. Somepony came to the front of the schoolhouse and a little red mare went over to see who it was.

“It’s the hospital ponies.” She whispered when she came back. The murmurs picked up again. I was scared. Why were hospital ponies here? Sprint was never sick.

Hoofsteps entered and left the building multiple times before Miss Cheerilee came out. Her smile was there but there didn’t seem to be anything behind it.

“Come along! The lesson can resume!” She said, sounding as if she were trying to be enthusiastic.

We filed into the schoolroom slowly. Sprint was gone and so were the hospital ponies. “Where’s Sprint?” somepony asked.

Miss Cheerilee’s smile disappeared. “He’s sick. The hospital took him in. He should be himself again come tomorrow! Don’t you worry.”

For some reason, none of us believed her. Although I wanted to. Sprint was a strong colt.

The lesson continued, quietly if nothing else.

The day ended and hardly anypony had said a word, except for Miss Cheerilee and her lesson. We walked slowly out of the building and off our separate ways. All alone, I dragged my hooves down the road. Alone was not a new feeling to me although it had been years since I had last been alone. Sprint was always by my side.

“Mom... I’m home...” I trudged into my house. My mother was somewhere upstairs. Her voice shouted down to me but lacked the usual sharpness.

“Hey, your grandmother is waiting for you over at the hospital. I’d head over quickly if I were you.”

I froze for a minute. The hospital? My school bag dropped to the floor and I dashed back out the door. The run to the hospital was fairly short but seemed longer due to my anxiety. I galloped into the hospital doors, letting them bang behind me. My grandmother, a sweet pale yellow mare with a faded green mane, was standing next to the check-in desk.

“Grandmother? What’s going on?” I trotted up to her.

Her face was pale. “Easel, dear, Sprint is very sick.”

I stared blankly at her. I mean, no duh. I figured that out. “I guessed that...”

She stepped away from the counter and looked me intently in the eye. “Easel. Sprint is very seriously sick. He’s going to be out of school for a very long time.”

Every muscle inside me froze. Out of school? I trembled. School wouldn’t be fun without him. “When will he come back?”

Grandmother shook her head. “We don’t know, dear. The Pass Family doesn’t have a lot of money to pay for his medical bills.”

I thought for a moment. My filly brain was conjuring up ways to help my only friend. “Why don’t they just raise money?”

Grandmother smiled a little. “If only it was that easy, little one. Mr and Mrs Pass have to work all day. When would they ever have time to hold fundraisers or benefits for him?”

I frowned. “Grandmother. You and I don’t do anything. I just go to school. We could raise money.”

Even the secretary at the desk smiled at that. Grandmother scratched her mane for a moment. “Well... how would we do that then?”

This I had no answer for. Then I caught sight of Grandmother’s blue beaded bracelet. “I know! They make little charms with specially made names cut into them. We could make bracelets that say Sprint on them!”

Grandmother considered for a moment. “Well now. That’s a brilliant idea. Let me talk to Mr and Mrs Pass about it when they come downstairs okay?”

I bounced happily. “Can I see him, Grandmother?”

Grandmother sighed. “He’s resting now. How about you come see him tomorrow right after school?” I nodded, slightly put out and turned to leave the hospital.

That night I thought endlessly about my friend. I do hope Sprint will be alright.




The very next day, after I chatted with Sprint for a half an hour about the latest soccer game, Grandmother and I began making bracelets. We named them “Sprint Bracelets” and sold them as a fundraiser to help pay for Sprint’s medical bills.

Not only that, but the school and local shops held their own benefits and fundraisers. The Pass Family was very grateful for the generous help the village was giving them.

This went on for almost a year. I would visit Sprint after school for a half an hour, (stupid hospital visiting rules), then go help the most recent fundraiser or make bracelets with Grandmother. Without Sprint, school was a place of torture with endless name calling and pointless rude comments. Seeing him was the only bright part of my day.

Over time, I noticed changes. With each visit, Sprint seemed to grow duller. His coat grew darker and his mane became disheveled. His features became blotchy and swelled in size. Despite this, his eyes still held the same twinkle and he maintained his cheerful personality.

One day, almost an entire year later, the hospital refused to allow me to see Sprint. I threw a fit until I learned why.

He had died.