• Published 3rd Apr 2013
  • 709 Views, 10 Comments

The Beat to My Heart (The Fall of Queen Celestia Book 1) - Sylpheed Dashstep



Once upon a time, there was a prosperous land named Equestria. That land is now on the brink of survival, and it's only hope for redemption is about to be snuffed out like a candle. Will the colt named Alex live to save his homeland, or will he

  • ...
2
 10
 709

Act II; Scene II: A Desperate Escape

Author's Note:

So, I'm not entirely sure what to say. Long story short, you guys will eventually find out why I'm making this instead of the usual two idiots, but for the meantime, I'll be your host, along with a few of my friends if they'd like to join me, but for now, we're all in a bit of a shocked state, so I thought, what better way to pass the time than finish this...story.

Shit, shit, shit, shit. COME ON ELI, WE'RE GONNA BE LATE MAN.

Those were the words that I awakened to, the volume of the last part making me bolt upright. I looked around and found nothing other than Exavier and Deviree still sleeping beside me, neither of them having apparently heard the voice. I was about to just blow it off and imagine that I hadn't heard it when another voice came.

Woah, dude, what the hell?

What is it?

I think you're affecting me, that's what. I'm having this really shoddy idea for the story.

Well don't be all high and mighty, lay it down on me...well as we walk that is, I don't need a friggin tardy on the first day of school.

Well I know this is going to sound stupid, but what if we broke the four-

The voices cut off for a few seconds, allowing me to gather my scrambling thoughts.

Alex, if you can hear me, nod your head.

What the hell are you goin' on abo-

I slowly nodded my head, the voice stopping abruptly as I did so.

You're shitting me right? This is some big pass joke, there is no damn way thi-

"Who are you," I asked quietly, surprising myself as I managed to keep my voice normal.

Well I'm Josh, and my friend is Eli. We're uhh, we're the writers of the story you're in.

I only had a little bit to do with this, just to add.

To tell the truth, I haven't controlled this since Garanth took Anna.

"Wait, what," I asked, not having any knowledge of what to do or how to cope with this. "Let me get this straight. Assuming I even believe you two, you're my authors therefore the ones I should blame for the death of my friend."

No, that would be the wrong thing to do, one because I had nothing to do with her death, seeming as how it was more of a gradual decline in my amount of control. My...Will, I guess you could call it will, started changing and it even broke through what I originally wanted.

"And that was," I asked, now intrigued.

For you and Anna to live together in Ponyville after killing Garanth.

"Wait, Garanth can die?"

"Who can die," a voice asked.

I turned my head to see Exavier sitting up, rubbing sleep from his eyes.

Wait, speaking of death, isn't Shining Armour lying dead in that room you're in?

My eyes wandered over to where my mentor's body was, just lying there without a single sign of life in it. I felt tears well up in my eyes and my young age seemed to overshadow me, leaving me feeling scared and alone.

Jesus Eli, could you be any more of a dick?

Well excuuuse me. Your readers weren't the only ones who were kind of shut out of story updates white you were off shitting around the world. You didn't even mention anything in your texts or calls.

I chose to try and ignore the two arguing, apparently in my head, seeming as how Exavier wasn't reacting to their presence, and try to figure out what to do next. My mentor was dead, and if I could I would have torn whoever had killed him in two, but I had made a promise and I was going to stick to it.

"Nopony," I said, directing the statement towards Exavier, "just trying to wrap my head around the fact that Shining can die."

"I know what you mean kid, I felt the same way when my dad died. It was so hard to accept that he could just...end, like that, ha know, in a split second," Exavier said, mirroring my thoughts almost exactly.

"You left out one thing though," I said, giving him a small smile. "You left out the detail that it could happen to us as well at any moment."

He nodded and lapsed into silence, the both of us remaining where we were until Deviree finally got up, the three of us huddling together to determine what our next move would be.

Just give them something to defend themselves with and tell them to leave the city man, then go after Celestia, I mean, maybe if you were to take her down the-

Josh, I don't know how stupid you've become over the summer, but he's an EARTH PONY!

Dude, stop yelling, people are staring.

Sweet Luna, I wish the two of them would shut up, I thought to myself.

Okay, fine, all you had to do was ask.

I ignored his comment and tried to focus on the conversation that was real and not in my head but my thoughts kept straying to that topic even so.

Wait, you mean you haven't...dude, this story is about you, meaning that whoever's reading...or whatever the hell me and Josh are doing, can read/hear your thoughts.

"Wait, ponies actually read about my life," I said, only realizing that I had spoken out loud after the words were out of my mouth. Exavier and Deviree gave me confused stares and I shrank back a little, not wanting to have to explain my situation seeming as how I didn't even have a grip on it myself. "Okay, look, there are things going on right now that I don't fully understand, so don't ask me," I said.

Well, there goes your chance of brushing that off as nothing.

"Oh shut it you," I said, confronting Eli directly.

By now I was a mad mare in the eyes of the two scientists, who were now -

Wait a minute, maybe I can....hello, can you tw-

"Ahh, what the hell is that," Exavier exclaimed, scrambling backwards a few feet.

Congratulations Joshy ol' buddy.

Don't call me that.

"Okay, Alex, I'm going to suspend my surprise and my disbelief long enough for you to explain this to us," Deviree said, her eyes wide.

"Honestly, I don't have any damn clue, ask those two," I replied.

And you think we've got any clue? Hell, we're only two teenagers who aren't even out of grade school. Until about ten minutes ago, I thought this was just my brain going on overdrive. What about you Eli?

I don't even know if I'm ready to accept this is even real for starters. Doing so would basically be saying that I'm willing to believe that any cartoon or book or whatever is a living breathing being, if my theory is right that is. Either way, the two of us are about to enter school and I don't want to be caught talking to myself like a mad man.

Yeah, for some reason the whole mental connection thing only works one way.

"Meaning," I asked.

We can hear your thoughts but you can't hear ours.

Wait, did you really try that?

Maybe...

"Okay, how about we stop conversing with the creepy God voices and focus on getting out of here alive," Exavier said.

"Yeah, fine, sure," I said. "How about we just try and sneak past any patrols that we see and hey, if worst comes to worst, we'll have to fight."

Oh yes, bravo, bravo Alex. Congratulations on such an amazing plan.

"How about you make a plan then you ass," I said.

...

"Exactly, now, let's make a hasty exit before some lucky patrol finds us," I said.

We left the building and began to make our way through the rubble of what was once a town, only bunches of bricks and stone now. We snuck past the patrols of the guards and reached the exit to the city, following Exavier's directions. Once we arrived me ducked behind a fallen house, gazing at our only way out which was blocked by a handful of guards.

"Alex, you can take them, right," Deviree asked.

"I've got no clue," I admitted, "last night was...I don't know how to explain it other than that wasn't me out there fighting last night."

"What the hell does that mean," Exavier asked.

"It means that there was another pony in my head last night telling me what to do," I said, gazing grimly at the doorway.

"So, what, do we just sit here and rot," Exavier said, "no thanks, I'd rather go out fighting."

Before we could decide what to do we heard a voice behind us.

"OI! YOU LOT, LOOKIE WHAT I FOUND."