• Published 17th Mar 2013
  • 1,580 Views, 26 Comments

A Man of The Metro - The Gunny



Artyom finds himself in a pristine land free of the mutation and death in Moscow, will he find the secret to returning life to his home or simply stay.

  • ...
6
 26
 1,580

A stranger in an even stranger land

When I woke up it was dark, over my head I saw a white ceiling. The bed I was in was very small and everything from my knees down was was hanging off the end. I heard voices and looked around to see the princess I had seen before with two others. How there were three I had no idea but there were.

“I don’t understand how this thing got here nor do I want to. If it can take out to mantacor I don’t want it here period” I heard the white one say, her mane looked like it was flowing in a wind that didn’t exist. An Indigo one spoke up next

“Sister we do not think that removing it will be a good Idea, somehow it knew who twilight was from what we can tell. Think of the things we could learn from it.” she said, the lavendar one I had seen earlier spoke next.

“Luna is right, we cannot pass up this opportunity. This is a being totally alien to us and obviously it is far more advanced, we must study it and help it not destroy it.” The Lavender princess said nodding in agreement with the indigo one. The white one sighed and nodded as if to say she too agreed with them.

“H-Hello” I said in very poor english, they just stared at me for a moment. My hand and arm felt almost completely fine so I sat up, then I stood. I was taller than the tallest one and obviously she was nervous. “I-I am Artyom”

“It just spoke” The lavender princess said in amazement “Like it did in the forest”

“We are Princess Luna” The indigo Princess said “This is..”

“Artyom! Twilight! Princess! Harmony!” I heard a raspy voice in my head say

“Princess Twilight” I said in russian thinking they couldn’t understand me, to my surprise Luna replied with a nod. “You speak Russian?”

“No we speak griffon, why do you call it ‘Russian’? More importantly tell us how you know Princess Twilight.” Luna said with a confused look.

“The dark ones, they sent me visions of this place. They said it could help my people and my world.” I said as I looked at my arm, the gash from the creature that attacked me looked almost fully healed but how?

“Dark ones? Evil Creatures?” Luna said suspisciously

“No, they live in the shadows. That is why they are called Dark ones. I am a Listener I can hear what they want to say. Sometimes they influence me to do what they require though not without my knowing.” I replied trying to calm her

“We see, you seem to be taking this very well.” Luna said still raising an eyebrow.

“Where I come from there are much scarier creatures than that one that attacked me, Ive seen baby lurkers that are scarier than those.” I said triumphantly though I felt like shit.

“What is a lurker?” Twilight interupted, I looked at her and sighed.

“Allow me to tell you a story?” I said, they all nodded. “My name is Artyom, I was born in Moscow Russia in 2013 though I remember nothing of that time. Thats when the bombs dropped, myself as well os thousands of others were saved by hiding in the metro. That was 20 years ago, now I am a ranger who guards his station like a hawk. The Dark Ones made contact with me first and I saved them from total destruction, they are one of the many types of mutations that run rampant through my world. The Lurkers are another, a cross between dog and human they are bald and uglier than the ass end of a pig.” I saw the white one gag a bit but I had to continue. “My world is cold and dark, death is rampant. I don’t know how many bad men I have had to lay to rest.” Twilight held up a hoof.

“What about friendship? What about solving problems with words?” She said, I sighed and reached into my pocket. From it I pulled a small picture and tossed it to her. She looked at it and then back to me.

“Friendships don’t last long I’m afraid, that is me and a friend of mine from the ghost station. A demon got him, he was a crazy bastard but he was alright.” Artyom said sadly, a tear came to Twilight’s eye. Not seeing this I foolishly continued by saying “Friendship is probably the first thing that died in the aftermath.” At this Twilight began to cry, the white one snorted and looked ready to charge. I stood up and walked over to Twilight, kneeling down I looked her in the eyes. “I need your help to bring it back, can you do that?” She nodded, The white one took a step towards me.

“Celestia! No!” Twilight exclaimed “He is not like the others we have encountered, I can sense it.”

“Well if you want me gone I will leave, I would hate to cause problems to you your highness.” I said feeling slightly deflated by what was obviously the head Princesses dislike of me. As I stood I looked for my things, upon finding them I walked towards the door but felt a tug on my pant leg.

“Wait, Celestia is skeptical of humans. She thinks you’re violent at heart.” Twilight pleaded

“She’s right, When we’re pushed killing is as easy as breathing.” I said feeling like an outcast now, it must have hung in my words. “Thank you for your time and for patching me....”

“FAIL! MUST NOT! SAVE ALL! MUST COMPLETE! ARTYOM! TWILIGHT! PRINCESS! HARMONY!” the dark ones were screaming at me, I felt my body go weak as I fell to the ground. Twilight rushed over to me and looked into my eyes, she must have seen what I saw. A land fo prosperity where the Metro was abandoned and the world was green. The I saw home as it truly was but worse, people were rushing out of the metros to their death. “FAIL! ALL DIE! COMPLETE TASK! SAVE ALL!” As the vision faded I saw Twilight staring into space.

“You saw didn’t you?” I said as I regained my breath, Twilight nodded. A look of horror on her face. She looked over to the others who stood speachless

“We have to help him! The lives of thousands hang in the balance!” She exclaimed

“Verywell I have seen enough to decide that you are no more a danger to us than a diamond dog. I will help you as will Luna and Twilight.” Celestia said with a smirk

“Does the word harmony mean anything to you? That is the word they put the most emphasis on?” Twilight looked at the others and then turned to me......