• Published 17th Mar 2013
  • 1,169 Views, 12 Comments

We can only change so little - vadram



History has a tendency to stay the same no matter what we do.

  • ...
1
 12
 1,169

Chapter 3 Enter the puppeteer

Enter the puppeteer


That night she had many dreams dreams of her defeat, dreams of her their deaths, dreams of her banishment for all of time, dreams of her subjects thinking that their goddess had abandoned them, dreams of the lies her sister would spin about her in the years to come, dreams of everypony forgetting her and dreams of her slowly vanishing into cold dark nothingness.

Luna was now surrounded by darkness, she expected it to comforted her, to feel safe here, to feel free, free from all the worries, free from her troubles and free from her life. She did not. For the first time in her life silence and solitude did not comfort her. She was still trying to figure what tomorrow would bring and what laid in store for her people and for herself.

"Should I just accept my fate? Should I sacrifice myself for my subjects? Or should I fight? Should I fight with all my might? Should I fight my sister and hope to win?"

"..."

"Pyre’s visions always come to pass. She is a gifted oracle, although her powers are limited.

“...Lu...”

’Fate had not been kind to her. Banished by her father to save her life, cursed at birth by my sisters indiscretions. ‘

“...na...”

’But I am not the one to complain, she had proven time and time again a worthy ally, determined and ruthless. Her hatred for my sister is strong, and it gives her strength. But I still feel sorry for her.’

“Luna...”

’Who is there?’

“Who dares enter my domain?”

“My my aren't we a bit defensive.” a voice could be heard echoing from the darkness.

“Show yourself. Your Queen demands it.”

“Queen! Queen? Queen of what? Queen of the nothingness that you chose to surround you with?”

Two giant white spheres appeared in the void.

“Who are you? Answer me or face my wrath.”

“Now now, temper temper.” Two even larger red spheres appeared to engulf the white ones.

“I am warning you.”

“Come on your highness, do it, show me your might... Make me tremble in fear... Turn me into nothingness...”

“Insolent fool.” Luna’s horn let out a burst of blue and black light hitting one of the sphere.

“Release all your... oh... you are done already? I would give it a one and a half out of ten.”

Luna was breathing heavily, she fired again and again until she could fire no more and she remained floating in the nothingness.

“All right, all right, here, I've changed your grade to a two and two quarters, feeling better little Woona? At least you tried.”

“What are you?”

“Moi?” the voice said as a third set of even larger spheres appeared surrounding the previous two, these were yellow in color. “I am just a voice. A voice inside a little box inside a little princesses mind, or am I inside your mind and your mind is inside the box?.”

“I am no princess...” Luna said with the last of her strength “I am a Queen.”

“A queen you say?” a giant disembodied claw appeared out of the darkness picked her up by her wings dangling her in front of the spheres.

“If you are a queen, then what pray tell do you rule over?”

“I...” Luna could feel her powers returning to her. “I... I rule over dreams... And you have no power here!” She struggled to get free from the creatures grab but failed.

“Normally that would be true, but... I have power here now. Do you want to know why?”

Luna looked at the two spherical formations who were starting to resemble eyes.

“Because I shouldn't have. And isn't it fund doing things you should't do?”

“Are you?” Luna said more confused than shocked.

"Yeees?"

"You can't be."

“Here we go. Finally some recognition.”

“Discord! what are you doing in my dreams?” she said fear was showing in her voice.

“Oh straight to the point. I think I like that, maybe. But I was actually expecting something more along the lines of...”

“Eeeeeeeek... Discord! You are free! Aaaaaaaa... I must wake up, I must run to my sister so she can tell me what to do. Aaaaaaaa....” Discord said in Luna’s voice.

“Or something like that.” He continued using his own.

“So you are free monster. Funny I had a feeling you may appear soon.” Luna was recovering from the initial shock.

“Ooo, do tell.”

“With how things have been going lately I was worrying that our spells might have weaken.”

“Oh? how very thoughtful of you. Thinking of little-ol-me while considering weather you are going to kill your sister or not. I must say Woona I am flattered.”

“Don’t kid yourself, I was just being thoroughly, you are a bigger danger to Equestria then my sister will ever be.”

“Oh stop you, you are making me blush, if I wasn't just a pair of eyes and a floating claw. Let’s fix that, shall we.”

The rest of his head came into sight. From his white furry eyebrows, to his mismatched horns and even that one fang that looked so out of place on his face it actually suited him.

“Better? Now you may continue complimenting me.”

“Ha! Not a chance.”

“Very well. So first things first...”

Discord placed Luna at a table he made appear in front of him gently patting her on the head.

“Tea?”

“Tea?” Luna asked confused at the question.

“Or you prefer coffee? Chocolate milk? Or maybe something stronger?”

She gave up trying to make sense of his actions and decided to play along. There wasn't really she could do to stop him.

“Fine. Coffee, black, no milk no sugar.”

With a snap of his talons a steaming cup of coffee appeared on the table in front of her.

“Now your highness, can we talk like two civilized immortals in drinking something black in the endless void of your mind?”

“What is it?” Luna said taking a sip of her coffee. “Not bad.”

“So I came with a business proposition, interested?”

“You? You want to talk business? What could you possible want from me? You are already in control of your powers. I know that much, and if you so wished you could make sure I never wake up.”

“True.”

“And we both know that Celestia can’t defeat you alone.”

“Also true.”

“So the question remains, what do you need from me.” Luna took another sip of her coffee. “Not bad at all.”

“I want you to win tomorrow.”

She choked upon hearing those words spilling her coffee on her the table. Discord, the living embodiment of chaos, sworn enemy of all living being wants her to win in her battle with her sister. Only one question came to her mind.

“Why?”

“Why what?” he said as she turn the table cloth into coffee and let it flow down into nothingness before a new tablecloth grew from the wooden table. Luna now had so many questions.

“Why do you want me defeat my sister? What do you have to gain from this? You are already free, and without the both of us standing together against you you have nothing to worry about.”

“I see. So you have not figure it out yet. Here take a look.”

A oval window now stood to her side, from it the royal gardens could be seen. There among hedge maze and alongside of hundreds of statues stood one of a draconicus with his paw placed upon his chest, her claw stretched in the air, and his mouth open. It seemed to be singing.

“I see you are not fully free yet.”

“Actually I am completely free, and at full power. But that is not me.”

“If that is not you then why are you showing me that fake.”

“Uh, do I have to spell it out to you? Fine.That ", he said pointing out the window to the statue, " is no fake, that is Discord, the one and only Discord, turned to stone by you two all those. That is Discord, but that is not me.”

“I see.” Luna said continuing to drink her tea. “Too much lemon.”

“You have no idea what I just said do you.”

“None.”

“Uh. Here look, maybe if I use puppets you will understand.”