• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 1,168 Views, 8 Comments

Autonomous Reflection - Crystalline HP



Rousing chaos so soon after his reformation, Discord is tested by Celestia and her revelations that pull Twilight and friends into the mix. But these friends must deal with their feelings toward each other, which meshed circumstance may well stir...

  • ...
1
 8
 1,168

Chapter 2 – Why, Fluttershy?

“So, um… May I preen your wings again?”

“Just the once was fine, thank you.”

“Ok. Or I could gather a choir of robins to sing for you.”

Twilight took a controlled breath. “The parliament of owls hooting before was catchy enough. I don’t need anything else.”

“But, um, are you sure you don’t need help walking? You’ve been—”

No, Fluttershy!”

Carousel Boutique finally coming into sight felt like a gift greater than the wings she had developed a week ago, her new features which were also the reason why Fluttershy was currently acting like a voluntary slave. Ever since the coronation, the terribly submissive pegasus had treated Twilight with overbearing respect and was suffocating her underneath a mountain of munificent but unnecessary offers.

Twilight would have almost enjoyed this attention if it were not so obviously fuelled by pure obligation. This fact alone was enough to strain their friendship to a lethal breaking point; Fluttershy’s interminable kindness was actually very upsetting to Twilight. Dictated as she was by her anxious mind, this sadness slowly devolved into anger, leading to the alicorn yelling more harshly than she intended to firmly turn Fluttershy down. Then, of course, the pegasus believed that her efforts were inadequate and thus strived to sacrifice more next time.

A vicious cycle of the worst kind. I know what the problem is. So why can’t I bring myself to just ask her to stop?

By the time the boutique was within stone-bucking distance, Twilight had deteriorated into stark depression. Fluttershy, an acutely sensitive mare, didn’t need long to recognise this and jittered nervously beside her. “Oh no, am I doing something wrong? I’m sorry… I’d give you a hug to make it up to you, but touching royalty would be so disrespectful.”

Twilight knew it was a huge mistake to ignore this opportunity to initiate a hug herself and relieve the brittle atmosphere, but that is exactly what she did. Aware as she was that this harmful decision would only breed more sorrow, Twilight could not overcome the part of her mind which silently relished in the loneliness. Her eyes burned with fluid as she raised a hoof to knock on Rarity’s lavish front door.

“Please, let me get that for you!” Fluttershy bowed, beamed forcibly at her and tapped the polished oak with such gentleness, Twilight doubted that territorial Opal had been disturbed. To her surprise, Rarity’s business voice promised to be with them in a moment and the sound of practiced, rhythmic hooves on her undoubtedly spotless floor echoed through the door.

Whatever she was doing in her requested moment, Rarity seemed to finish it and the door swung open with a graceful flourish. Since every one of her regular customers knew it was absolutely fine to enter without warning during her opening hours, the unicorn was probably expecting a new potential client. “Good afternoon, and welcome to Carousel Boutique, where everything is—oh, it’s you two lovely mares!”

After giving both of them a quick squeeze, Rarity’s more relaxed tone engaged as she explained, “I’m awfully sorry, but I am simply drowning in paperwork and there is a ruby-encrusted dress to which I must attend soon. You’re both very welcome to come in, but I’m afraid I cannot afford to stray into other activity at the moment. Perhaps you could judge my latest designs while I work?”

When the only response she received was a horrified gasp from Fluttershy, one likely born of her unacceptable familiarity towards Twilight, Rarity finally seemed to latch onto the unfortunate aura of her guests. “Is something the matter, my dears? I sense a certain…tension.”

The pause on this occasion was completely silent. An agonising period passed wherein nothing happened, before Twilight spotted Rarity’s deep blue eyes widen in her peripheral vision. Despite seeing her friend close to tears, Rarity managed a genuine smile and gently raised the Princess’s downcast face with a manicured hoof. “My mistake. Ignore everything I just said; I can give up all the time in the world to talk, Twilight.”

The designer’s heartfelt and unforced generosity lifted her spirits slightly, but the serious reason for visiting the boutique in the first place would not budge from the forefront of Twilight’s mind. Although she wanted nothing more than to collapse into Rarity’s sympathetic hooves and cry, time was a pressing factor, and right now none could be spared for therapy.

I promise I’ll work things out with you later, Fluttershy. It’s just about picking the right moment when I know you’ll understand.

Twilight wiped away the stinging sensation in her eyes until she was certain no trace of unhappiness remained. “Thank you, Rarity, but we can’t come in. In fact, we need you to come with us.”

Now it was Rarity’s turn to look hesitant. She bit her lip before responding, “Truly? To where?”

“The library. It’s very urgent.”

“Is it little Spikey-Wikey? Is he pining after a cuddle?” When Twilight shook her head, Rarity began shifting restlessly on the spot. “It’s just, so much stitching to do, you understand? And Sweetie Belle, she sometimes invites her friends, those Crusaders, over here while I’m gone without asking permission.” She laughed nervously. “You know how excitable they all are...”

With a worried backward glance into the boutique cementing the unicorn’s concern of leaving her shop unattended, Twilight could see she was going to need more encouragement. “The fate of Equestria may be at stake.”

Her simple statement had the desired effect. “Oh! In that case, I can hardly refuse, can I?” She giggled lightly. “Please give me a moment. I must inform Sweetie Belle that I’ll be away for a while.” After summoning a crisp piece of paper and a pen that left glittering sapphire dust along the ink lines it traced, Rarity scrawled a quick but damask note before magically gluing it to a wall in plain sight. “She’s napping,” the unicorn explained to her friends’ questioning expressions.

With a smile and audible rejuvenation that reflected her improved mood, Twilight asked, “Are we ready?”

“One more thing, darling.” Rarity quietly focused, her pearly white teeth slightly bared and eyes shut fast in concentration. Her horn sparked once, twice, before an eruption of magic suddenly exploded from its tip and engulfed her entire house. Twilight and Fluttershy were taken aback; usually only very precise matters involving her delicate craft were handled by Rarity’s magic, so seeing her perform such a voluminous spell was as surprising as it was impressive.

Before either of them could ask exactly what she had done, a somewhat dizzy Rarity spoke. “I’ve…been practicing…that one,” she managed between heavy panting. “It protects all of my dresses from minor scratches, burns, stains and such. Goodness, how it tires me…”

Rarity staggered as she drew herself up to her full height, trying to maintain both her balance and distinguished posture. Deciding to leave her friend’s pride intact by not suggesting that she should have cast the spell instead, Twilight congratulated Rarity with a simple wink.

If we return on foot, a certain pegasus is probably going to offer me breathing assistance. No, walking back is out of the question. I guess Spike’s going to see his crush earlier than he expected!

Twilight quickly interlocked hooves with her companions and, before Fluttershy could get over being graced with a princess’s physical contact, she teleported the trio back to the library.

Because of the likelihood that Spike was still busy with his greatest cleaning task to date, Twilight had picked a spot just outside, a small distance from where the front door used to be. Along with the guarantee that they would not materialise right on top of some hazard and cause damage to both themselves and the house, Twilight could also be sure that she would not have to deal with a grouchy dragon grumbling about his hard work being ruined.

Her caution turned out to be in vain, however, when Rarity toppled over anyway due to her already disoriented senses being thrown off again by the incredibly fast method of travel. “I am so sorry,” the unicorn said shamefully as Twilight helped her up. “I must look like I’m trying to act like an undignified simpleton. Wait… MY MANE! SOMEPONY FIX MY MANE!”

Rarity refused to move until her royal purple curls had been groomed to utter perfection. While Fluttershy attended to this, Twilight rolled her eyes and used the time to survey her home with a keen eye. She did a double take after seeing the door fully repaired and back in place as though it had never been blown off at all; Spike had made better progress than she had anticipated. Pleased and feeling slightly more assured that she was not about to invite her friends into a bomb-site, Twilight stretched her wings and flapped them experimentally.

This still hasn’t sunk in properly yet. I’m a Princess of the country I love! And these wings... They feel so…right. I can’t wait until Rainbow Dash teaches me so I can be at least competent with them.

Of course, with all the benefits of her newfound position came the strings that were unavoidably attached. Fluttershy’s phobia of causing offence aside, a small population of other ponies in Ponyville were now reluctant to initiate conversation with her, likely for the same reason.

Worse, she’d had to endure the day after the coronation, a day filled with nothing but greeting old, probably corrupt members of Celestia’s parliament who gave fake smiles and faker commendations. The sister princesses had kept them in check, naturally, but the occasion had only confirmed Twilight’s fears that not everypony welcomed her into the role. In an extensive conversation and a hushed tone, Luna had warned her of the army of prejudices and bias the politicians sustained – and would quite possibly use – against her, and the list had definitely not been pleasant to the ear.

Nevertheless, Celestia had yet to request her presence back at the castle, at which point she would fill her in on the finer details of royal customs and expectations. Powerful as Twilight’s enemies were, they could do nothing until she actually started making decisions. Even then, it was impossible for them to pounce unless she showed signs of weakness or incompetence, qualities which she intended to stamp out as quickly as possible.

Lost in thought, Twilight barely noticed when Rarity at last declared her mane satisfactory and started towards the library. “Now, tell me about this terror that is endangering Equestria.”

She took a breath to answer, but her mind drew a blank as she realised that nothing was truly wrong. “I don’t know myself. Apparently something is going to happen soon, though.”

“Hm? Has Princess Celestia written to you about a new threat?”

Fluttershy, whom Twilight had honestly forgotten was there, spoke quietly. “Um, Princess Twilight told me everything on the way to your house, Rarity. Her Highness said that Pinkie Pie was the one predicting a disaster.”

Wincing over the horribly formal titles with which Fluttershy was hailing her, Twilight quickly found herself cringing further under Rarity’s dumbstruck gaze. “…I believe I must have misheard. Did Fluttershy say that you trusted Pinkie’s judgement in a matter of such magnitude?”

The alicorn felt her face grow hot. “Well, you see, she had one of her Pinkie senses. I wouldn’t have taken any notice but she’s gone through this one twice before, both times just before Equestria plunged into calamity. Pinkie’s just never told anypony about them until now.” Rarity’s expression only worsened, causing the words to tumble faster out of Twilight’s mouth to end her self-inflicted embarrassment. “I thought this might mean another catastrophe was imminent, so Pinkie Pie’s fetching Applejack and Rainbow while I came to get you two. Do you understand why I wanted to be safe on this? …Please say you understand.”

Judging by the way she’s looking at me as though I just urinated over her entire wardrobe, I don’t think she empathises much.

“W-Why of course, darling!” Rarity responded far too loudly. She cleared her throat, probably trying to retain some dignity after spending the past minute with her mouth hanging open. “Let’s just see how this unfolds, yes?”

Relieved that the white pony had dropped the subject, Twilight arrived at the front door and tentatively pushed it open. Images of Spike trapped underneath a pile of books and collapsed from excessive labour flashed uncontrollably in her mind’s eye as she suddenly shoved the door harder, wanting to get this over with. She peered inside…and gasped.

The library was spotless. Not a shred of litter cluttered the floors, not a stubborn mark stained the walls, and not a single book sat out of place. It was clean in a way that clean did not describe; it was organisation to the extreme; it was perfect.

Twilight’s hooves drummed involuntarily on the spot as she surveyed her dream home, giggling. Before she knew what she was doing, she found herself impersonating Pinkie Pie, with copious amounts of singing accompanying her dance around the room. She didn’t even care that she was likely ruining the gleaming floor; just seeing the house exactly as she had long envisioned it, if only for a few seconds, was enough for her.

“Looks like somepony’s happy,” piped a familiar voice. Twilight stopped bouncing and saw a pony enter the room from the kitchen, a pegasus with a strikingly colourful mane and an attitude to match. “How’s my new flying buddy?” asked Rainbow Dash, taking a large bite out of the muffin she was holding.

Well, what do you know. Looks like Pinkie actually did as I asked!

“Rainbow, you’re here!” Twilight cried in delight, her ever-brightening mood improving further. After going in for a hug, which the pegasus denied in favour of a hoof-bump, Twilight managed to withhold a torrent of complaints when she saw crumbs from the confectionary falling all over the floor.

Speaking of which…

“Say, where did you get that muffin? I didn’t know you could bake.”

“I can’t,” said the carefree pegasus with a chuckle. “But Spike can. By the way, what took you so long? I got here ages ago, slowpokes! This place was still a mess when I arrived!” Polishing off the muffin, Rainbow suddenly appeared sheepish. “I’d say help yourselves to a snack, but that was kinda the last one, so…”

Twilight blinked. “Wait, Spike fixed all this and still had time to make you that thing?”

“Yup, a whole batch of them. You should have seen him go!” Rainbow Dash shot from the floor to fly around the room with incredible agility, racing from corner to corner but never crashing. “He was like the renovator version of the Wonderbolts!”

“What, and you just left him to it?” the alicorn pressed with a deliberate edge.

Slowing down to give Twilight a contagiously relaxed grin, Rainbow spread her front hooves wide. “Hey, don’t get the wrong idea. Obviously I said I’d help, but he just kept chucking muffins my way. What’s a hungry mare supposed to do apart from scoff them?” The pegasus landed and frowned. “Come to think of it, his behaviour was pretty confusing.”

A small niggle of concern poked at Twilight’s stomach. “Where is he now?”

“In Wonderland, probably,” answered Rainbow Dash with a lazy gesture of her hoof. “He’s taking a well-earned nap upstairs.” She reclined into her classic snoozing position, licked her lips and yawned. “I think I’ll have one myself. I hate being disturbed when I’m getting my forty winks.” Her eyes now closed, she said, “Wake me up when Pinkie and AJ get here, yeah?”

Unable to think of a suitable response to Rainbow’s statement and contradictory request, Twilight simply nodded to herself. She turned to the other two ponies in the room, addressing the one who had remained surprisingly silent. “Rarity, could you do me a big favour and keep watch for Pinkie coming back? I don’t want her blasting her way in here again.”

“But of course, Twilight. Applejack and I shall ensure that she behaves.” She stationed herself by the window, taking a mild interest in some of the nearby books.

Her attention switched to Fluttershy. Choosing her words carefully to present the friendliest attitude possible, Twilight made a fresh attempt to loosen the pegasus’s stiff conformity. “And Fluttershy, could you wake Rainbow Dash up when that happens? I know she doesn’t mind you because you’re so gentle and all.”

Looking absolutely ecstatic at being given both a task and a compliment, the shy pegasus bowed. “I swear upon the animals I take care of.”

Twilight had difficulty subduing another wave of frustration. A positive reaction was a start, but Fluttershy’s painfully needless observations of custom around royalty made the alicorn want to lash out at something. Seven days of probing and Twilight hadn’t put so much as a dent in Fluttershy’s armour of forced respect; the lilac mare was extremely worried that they would eventually drift apart, an outcome which could render her new diplomatic position crippled through sheer guilt.

Allowing the pointless anger to simmer until it boiled no more, Twilight resolved herself to try again later. Giving up would only serve to bind her to the unthinkable.

That’s those two sorted. In the meantime, I’ve got to check up on Spike. If Rainbow Dash’s accounts are anything to go by, it sounds like the little guy seriously tuckered himself out.

Her friends entrusted with their tasks, Twilight ascended the stairs to her room. She breathed a homely sigh at the familiarity, actually glad that it was now the messiest room in the house; an unlikely achievement considering that the rest of the library had fallen victim to Pinkie’s haphazard antics. Change was an event which Twilight was reluctant to embrace unless she understood the exact reasoning behind it and the consequences thereof, the logic which explained why she hoped her room would never suffer alteration at the hands of time or at the hooves of another pony.

Twilight heard him before she saw him: the adorable sound of Spike dreaming away. His signature snores made her want to snuggle him like a teddy bear, something which she often did whenever the ancient fabric of Smarty Pants just couldn’t warm her insides enough. This usually resulted in Spike awakening in a foul mood due to his snooze being prematurely cut short, but resolving this was just a matter of giving him more affection. Twilight loved the irony that one could solve Spike’s disagreeable disposition in the morning by showering him with the very thing that caused the issue in the first place.

Today was one of those days when she couldn’t resist. Although the dark clouds dominating her life a mere ten minutes ago had been somewhat cleared thanks to the strong bonds she shared with Rainbow Dash and Rarity, Twilight needed those cumulonimbus masses to be sent to the other side of the planet by gale force winds if she were to be prepared to face another threat to her country. And for that to happen, she had to have Spike’s support.

The last of Twilight’s doubts about pulling him from his dreams disappeared when she realised that the dragon would have to be roused anyway as soon as Pinkie turned up with Applejack in tow. Confident that she wasn’t being unreasonable, the alicorn ran over to his basket, ripped off the blanket and swept him up in her hooves. She heard Spike mumble something along the lines of “…my sweet white flower…” before he spluttered incomprehensible nonsense, rapidly being dragged out of his fantasy.

She sat and cradled the groggy dragon close to her chest, already prepared to launch into her tried and tested tactics that would bring out his brighter side. At last Spike’s eyelids rose from a pained squint to their fully open state, his emerald pupils adjusting to the invading sunlight. Twilight waited for the inevitable onslaught of moaning and grumpiness, at which point she would cuddle him closely and tell him she needed his help.

The timeline she imagined, however, quickly developed a branch when the only thing that escaped Spike’s mouth was a sigh of contentment. He held his short arms straight out to her face and waved them about. Astonished that she had encountered no resistance whatsoever, Twilight gladly accepted her best friend’s implied request and allowed him to wrap his arms around her neck. “You really are the best assistant I could ever hope to have, Spike,” the alicorn said softly. “How did you manage to clean everything up so perfectly?”

“Ah, it was nothin’,” replied the dragon modestly, shifting to find the most comfortable position against her. “Only because it was for you, Twilight.”

She set him down and rustled his scales, feeling truly cured of the blues. “I need to make this up to you somehow,” she said with a sincere smile.

“No need.” Spike grinned, going into his brilliantly selfless gentleman mode. “Just doing my job.” With a frown signifying his return to normal, he asked, “Why did you go out again? I forgot.”

“We have to get everypony round here, remember? Fluttershy and Rarity got back with me, and now we’re just waiting for—”

“Rarity!” Spike cried. “I gotta say hello and be all smooth and stuff!” After spinning his semi-portable mirror towards himself, the dragon began scrutinising his appearance, flexing his tail and rotating his neck to find the angle his head should be tilted to best compliment his smile. “How do I look?”

Before Twilight had the opportunity to give her biased answer – namely that he couldn’t fail to woo anypony in Equestria with such striking features – Spike’s stomach rumbled loudly. Then it hit her.

I forgot to get Spike a gem! Stupid Twilight… I promised I’d reward him, and he did such a good job, too! What am I going to say?!

Spike apologised on behalf of his body, fretting aloud that he couldn’t possibly greet the mare of his dreams when his belly risked betraying his manners. His verbal anxiety tapered off as he noticed Twilight’s sudden restiveness.

Beaming madly at Spike to buy herself some time went unrewarded, her congested mind refusing to fabricate a single excuse which might appease him. As the pause lengthened, she was still unaware that her expression bore a dangerously close resemblance to that of insanity. “Uh, Twilight?” Spike ventured, tapping her head gently. “Are you in there?”

He doesn’t remember… Thank Celestia for that!

“Absolutely fine, Spike. Dandy, even.” Seriously wanting to escape Spike’s developing combination of crossed arms and disbelieving air squeezing her for the truth, Twilight was relieved when Rarity saved her flank.

“Yoo-hoo, Twilight darling!” came her faint call from below. “Applejack and Pinkie are in sight; they’ll be here any moment!”

Spike’s attention instantly returned to the mirror and how his flattened scales might win the heart of the most beautiful pony in existence. With a giggle, Twilight scooped him up onto her back and trotted briskly downstairs. “Come on, Casanova. Let’s see if Pinkie’s forewarning holds any weight.”

The scene awaiting her was certainly the busiest she had seen the library host for a long time. The previous occasion which had seen this many ponies visit at once had not been a happy one, mainly because her friends had found enjoyment in harassing her and each other with cruelty, greed, deceit and pessimism. The outside world had been foreign and chaotic, and Rainbow Dash, now stretching after being awoken by Fluttershy, had not been present at all; she had abandoned them.

Shaking her head to rid the mind of Discord’s chilling laugh, Twilight hopped the last few steps and hugged Applejack and Pinkie as they came in, her front door remaining thankfully intact. Her heart seeped warmth as she watched all five of her friends greet each other enthusiastically, their wonderfully diverse personalities mixing up how they interacted as they accommodated for each other’s mannerisms.

Chrysalis, Discord, Sombra; they’re all in the past. We conquered those challenges and hardships because our friendship proved to have more conviction than their evil plans. Oh, I’m so proud of you guys...

Twilight almost shed a few drops of liquid pride until Fluttershy gave a loud gasp, turned on the spot and galloped towards her. Skidding to a halt inches from her hooves, Fluttershy entered into a deep bow and addressed the bewildered alicorn. “I’m so sorry, your Highness! I didn’t ask for permission to talk to my friends… Please forgive me! Can I go and speak with Applejack?”

To say Twilight was at a loss would not even begin to describe the unadulterated hopelessness that immediately sank into her. “Fluttershy… I-I can’t…” She raised her head with darting eyes, desperately seeking some measure of support from the others, yet unbelievably none of them had batted an eyelid at the commotion.

With her friends remaining incognizant of her crumbling relationship with Fluttershy and a crowded library being no place to discuss the problem, Twilight was faced with no other choice but to mumble, “Yes, of course you can.”

Enough is enough. This needs sorting out today. When everypony leaves, I’ll ask Fluttershy to stay behind. No indirect cajoling this time; I’ve got to give it to her straight.

Unfortunately, a solid plan for the future was no substitute for the present, and Twilight could feel herself approaching a breakdown as she watched the problematic pegasus try to get involved in an animated debate between Applejack and Rainbow Dash. She looked away and compelled herself to find reason to smile, a decision that was duly rewarded when the most civilised dragon in Equestria unwittingly restored her spirits.

Spike was hogging more than his fair share of Rarity’s time. The unicorn herself looked slightly flustered, likely surprised at the dragon’s suave attitude and subtle compliments. Sure, he was small in stature and a bit chubby, but Twilight knew all too well how Spike could wrap most ponies around his little claw just by moving his jaw and employing a little chivalry. She liked to think that his abilities as a romantic wordsmith were owed in part to her; living in a library with a bookworm was almost certainly a contributing factor. It was a shame that Rarity seemed immune, but Twilight found refuge from her miserable feelings by silently egging him on.

A handful of minutes passed before Rainbow Dash grew predictably impatient and hovered near the ceiling to address the party. “Alright everypony, that’s enough chatter! My epic training got interrupted for this weird reunion, so I want an explanation!”

Applejack nodded in agreement. “This better be mighty important. Ah got a barn full o’ goods to take to market!”

A stone dropped in Twilight’s stomach. The awkward vibes Rarity and Fluttershy were suddenly emitting brought home the fact that neither the rainbow pegasus nor the country earth pony were aware of the very flimsy grounds for which they were all gathered.

The one who had provided those grounds, the candy-obsessed ball of fun called Pinkie Pie, seemed completely oblivious to the thick air currently floating between them. Having failed to explain the whole situation to the pair, it was now up to Twilight to deliver the uncertain news to Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

I swear I’ll get you for this, Pinkie…!

It wasn’t long before she cracked under their accusing glares. “Well, you see, Pinkie Pie just—”

A loud noise interrupted her speech. Large bells rang in her head as her mind recalled it as one related to happiness and excitement, although a bittersweet aftertaste sullied the memory; the alicorn was sure she had been hearing it less and less recently. Twilight turned towards the source, unable to put a hoof on it until recognition set in the moment she saw Spike clutching his belly, a bloated look on his face.

And sure enough, in front of him lay a rolled up piece of parchment that he had just belched up.

Rainbow Dash went to grab it, but Spike recovered and waved her away. “This is my job,” he said firmly. After giving Rarity a sly wink, which was rewarded with a dainty laugh and the unicorn fanning her face, he sliced the ribbon with his claw and unrolled the parchment, clearing his throat to complete the ritual. “Ahem…

"My fellow princess, Twilight Sparkle,

"I hereby summon you to Canterlot Castle to attend a meeting. Please bring the Elements of Harmony and their respective bearers, along with Spike the dragon. Enclosed are seven train tickets for your travel expenses, valid today only. I apologise for the short notice, but the matter I wish to discuss is rather urgent. My sister shall be awaiting your arrival at Canterlot station.

"Best wishes, Princess Celestia.

A brief hush swept through the room. Somewhere in the back of Twilight’s mind was a hazy notion about Pinkie Pie being proven right, but it was the more prominent issue that came out of her mouth. “Why does the princess need all six of us and Spike? She told me that my private teachings on royalty and economics would be…well, private.”

“Maybe she’s just worried that without us you’ll bash your head in out of boredom,” Rainbow suggested with a wink. “But then, that doesn’t explain why she wants us to take the Elements of Harmony, too…”

Rarity and Fluttershy had nothing to add; they were still digesting Pinkie’s accurate prediction. The jolly pony herself had long since begun bounding around the room, shouting, “WOO! Canterlot is the best! Their chocolate fountains are the biggest ever, y’know, and I would eat my own mane just to take one bite out of a Fudge Supreme! I’m gonna break the world record for the number of balloons bought at once and use them to show everypony in Canterlot how to throw a proper party! WOO!”

Trying her best to ignore Pinkie’s rant and dodge her incredibly acrobatic performance, Twilight called to Spike, “So where are these tickets?”

Spike sank to his knees and groaned again. “Believe me; they’ll be here in a minute…”

The entire library livened into a frenzy of activity: Rainbow Dash demonstrated her share of Pinkie’s enthusiasm by inducing a tickle fight between them, Applejack coaxed Fluttershy from behind a potted plant and Rarity started shrieking that she could not afford to travel to such an established and upper class society without packing an unholy number of dresses and cosmetics.

Twilight approached her number one assistant and stroked him softly, causing his mumbles of pain to become intermittently broken by sighs of pleasure. “Come on, Spike. Get those tickets out of that tummy and start making a checklist. This is going to take some extreme organising…”