• Published 31st Jan 2012
  • 3,751 Views, 48 Comments

Reunion - rlogic1994



Twilight meets her friends long after the events of the show

  • ...
5
 48
 3,751

Ch 1: Friends

Reunion
It was colder now days in Equestria. The fall of years past had been tinged with a certain friendly warmth that was now absent. It was most likely a result of Princess Celestia's waning power that had been set in motion by her valiant sister, who had sacrificed her life to destroy Discord once and for all. But these grave matters did not pester a certain violet unicorn's mind. Twilight Sparkle walked slowly down the winding path through the Everfree forest, now so much more diminished by Discord's ravaging rampage all those years ago. She trotted steadily determined to get to the top of the mound of land up ahead.

To her left and right, the trees were set afire by autumn colors. Reds and yellows painted across the canopy, while a dead brown mass of leaves lay below the beautiful plumes above. The grass was wildly overgrown, weeds and wildflowers visible everywhere. Over the canopy, the Castle of the Two Sisters was visible in its ruined and decayed splendor. It was a fitting place for the mare to meet her friends. This was where they truly became the Elements of Harmony. She smiled slightly at the happy memory. But much had changed in all of them; it had been nearly 25 years since all of her friends had met up. She had not met with them in so long because she had not the heart to hurt them by coming after so much time had passed. This had to be done. This was most likely her last chance. She finally ended up at the foot of the hill and started her gradual ascent of the bump of earth. When she had reached halfway up the slope, she stopped wondering if this was a good idea. There is no turning back.

She proceeded to ascend to the top of the hill and was greeted by the faces of her friends. Fond memories emerged of each of them as she moved from one appearance to the next. Rainbow Dash's smiling face reminded her of all the times she had been pranked by the rainbow mare. But the smile also reminded her of the day she was accepted to the Wonderbolts. Twilight and her friends had been so proud, and she had a great career with them. She was the only pony ever to do a double sonic rainboom. Twilight still remembered the day Rainbow had descended from the skies in a dive faster than usual and higher up than usual. Then there was the ever astonishing joy of watching her figure explode into a spectrum of every color that existed. But as Dash kept diving with an ear-to-ear grin, she accelerated once more. A second explosion, unlike anything twilight had ever seen. A halo of imponderable color and intensity burned through the sky, leaving a trail of fiery rainbows behind. When Rainbow Dash had met up with her 5 friends later, she had told them that she just remembered that she would always have her friends who loved her and she let go. Their memory was what drove her, and what gave her the spirit to keep going after the first rainboom. She was so great at flying. She never wanted to stop, always trying to beat her last performance. After she had retired, Twilight and her friends couldn't bear to see the broken spirited mare. Not after the accident in the Canterlot Air Show.

Next was the ever ecstatic face of the pink party pony Pinky Pie, her smile reflecting the great birthday party she had thrown for twilight. She was always the life of every party she threw, always capable of cheering up any soul. Twilight remembered the day she went to Canterlot when she was put in charge of the Grand Galloping Gala. Twilight stifled a chuckle at the thought of the affair. There were still stains in the drapes of the great hall. But her smiling face also reminded Twilight of the day she was proposed to. The stallion was just like her, a bubbling personality as if his entire life was a party. With her new husband's connections in Canterlot, They were able to get a party planning company running called The Party Pie. He didn't even care that his name wasn't represented in the name; he was happy to be with Pinkie. Their company was still going and had planned some of the most epic parties in history. She retired in ponyville a few years ago. It was sad seeing her at her very last party. It didn't have the same happiness that usually filled the air.

The determined face applejack brought back memories of all the overworked days the orange pony had gone through. Applejack never knew when to take help, Twilight remembering the time when she had tried to single handedly take on all of Sweet Apple Acres. Twilight remembered the day she had gone off to war when Discord came back. Rainbow Dash she would go, but the Wonderbolts were a serious morale boost for Equestria, and the captain of the team couldn't just leave. It was sad seeing the orange pony leave, Big Mac and Granny Smith as the caretakers of the farm until she returned. The last time Twilight saw her was at Granny Smith's funeral, an affair even sadder by the sight of the orange pony, her body riddled with scars and scratches. She looked tired, as if she was sick. She said she was fine, but her eyes looked as if they hadn't had sleep in years. Twilight looked up again to her friend's face, her face having been sunk by the poignant memories. Her look also reminded Twilight of the time Applejack had saved her from that manticore on the way to Fluttershy's cottage, receiving a nasty scar from the affair but happy to help her friend. Only after that did Twilight realize her friend would never buck a tree again because of her condition.

Fluttershy's kind face looked up at her to the right of Applejack, her soft smile reflecting years of taking care of all kinds of animals, even Spike when he got a horrible case of draconitis. Draconitis was a horrible condition, making the small dragon's eyes bloodshot and his scales pale with decay. It was the first time Twilight had cried for so long. It had scared her deeply, the thought of losing one of her closest friends who she had raised from infancy. Fluttershy had been so tender and loving with him, but she was like that with all injured living things. She had even gone into the deep corners of the Everfree Forest to get supplies for treatment of the disease. Twilight remembered her scratched face when she returned from her adventure, as she had run to the Yellow pegasus's side to help. But Fluttershy would have none of it, a rare show of her authority. She attended to Spike first, slowly making the brew for the dying dragon. Only after this had been done did she let Twilight heal her wounds. Even Fluttershy had changed over the years. She had enrolled to help the Canterlot remapping unit in mapping out the Everfree. Fluttershy returned from that mission scarred deeply from something and was never the same again. She still cared for her animals, but there was an emptiness that had not been there before. The last time Twilight had seen her, she looked unnaturally at peace and still.

Then looking back at her was the regal faced Rarity, her polite smile showing her love of all that is proper. Her smile bringing back the memories of all the dresses she had mad Twilight try on and wear over the years. Everyone was so proud the day she finally got her dream when Hoity Toity gave her a piece of his company in his will, which the purple maned pony renamed Rarity's carousel. Twilight didn't really know why, but the name was a hit. She had become huge in only a few years. Even though she had grown apart from her friends, she still helped them if they ever asked. And she always used to send them free dresses with notes saying things like "Try this on, dear! You'll look absolutely marvelous!" And they always were marvelous. But the stress of high society and the cut throat fashion industry got to her. She became more and more frustrated by the slightest thing. Twilight recalled the day that she saw Rarity's name in the news after she had made her last dress and had retired to a better life of calm.

Looking at all her friends she realized they hadn't changed on bit, although showing a few signs of age. Each of their faces still held the same youth that Twilight remembered had been so distinct in all of them. Even though she had not seen them in so long, the ponies in front of her were still her friends, even if the door had shut on the chance to apologize long ago. But recalling these memories brought a sudden flood of emotion to her. The latch on her heart that was holding back all her regret burst open in a fit of tears and vain apology.

"I'm so sorry! I-I really am! Please don't be mad! I just-I just couldn't face you girls again. I thought that too much time had passed and that you would be angry!" she sobbed hysterically, shaking her hoofs in a pleading manner, "I just couldn't find the heart to come, even after all that had happened. I thought that if I d-did then I would relive what happened all th-that time ago. I just can’t forget the look on all of your faces. Every time I saw one of you, I couldn't take it and I-I-I turned my b-back on you! I j-just..."

She regained her composure for a moment so that she could do what she had come to do. She called upon her magic and levitated her gift out of her saddle bags and placed it in front of them. It was an enormous fire ruby, glistening with the engraving she had done with her own hoof: "Always Sisters and Always together". It had with a single perfect white lily placed inside it, its petals enchanted to forever be suspended in flawless beauty. The second the heart shaped jewel touched the rock below her, she broke into another fit of tears, only able to get out a few word as she finally caught sight of the engraving in the granite below her shaking hoofs.

"I'm so sorry I never said goodbye!" she cried with a voice full of pain and regret and sorrow.

Below her sobbing face, was an inscription in granite that had hurled Twilight into a spiraling descent of absolute depression.
"Here lay the Elements of Harmony.
All kind beings to the end
All sisters in friendship
All loved by those around them
All keepers of balance in Equestria
May their heavenly souls lie in peace and harmony"