• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 2,090 Views, 72 Comments

Twilight's Dawn - Dinkledash



Twilight Sparkle must lead a band of desperate refugees across an ocean to found a new pony nation. But does she have the strength to do what must be done, no matter what the cost?

  • ...
6
 72
 2,090

Chapter 4: A Different Perspective

Dear Princess Celestia,

This is Rainbow Dash. I hope you don’t mind me writing. I noticed that Twilight was writing to you and she seemed to get some comfort out of it, so I figured I’d give it a try. I’m not really much for writing letters, so if I make some mistakes, I hope you understand.

Just a second, Twilight gave me an orange to eat, this time one without wings. I’m really hungry, but I’ll be right back.

Sorry about that your highness. Twilight said that what she was writing to you was personal, and I guess as the last princess of Equestria in charge of a band of refugees, she needs someplace to work some stuff out in private. Celestia knows, I mean, you know, that I need to work some stuff out too.

I think I was dead.

I remember flying with some of the Wonderbolts over that army of monsters that came out of the north and zapping them with some thunderheads. Not those little ones I use for pranks, but the big, dangerous ones with million volt charges that can really fry you. We seemed to be hurting those things, so we just kept doing it, until one of their flyers came up to meet us, that is.

I don’t know what that thing was, or how it stayed airborne. I don’t even know how it didn’t just fall apart because it looked like balls of kind-of-see-through goo with organs and mouths and weird stuff all strung together with pink ropes and eyes and wings and tentacles… and it smelled like a rotten old tree that had busted open in a storm. And it was big. Like, bigger than five pegasi.

One of the mouths lashed out at me from the end of one of those gross tentacles and I have to admit, I was really scared. I remember looping and taking off straight south to get away from that thing. I was trying to get behind another thunderhead so I could kick some lightning out at it, but there was another one of those uglies waiting there when I came around. I remember this sort of blue flash and my wing and head really hurt and then I was falling from way too high for it to be OK. I saw the mountainside whirling around then I was looking down at a flat-topped rock next to the path, then… I was in a cloud bank.

I didn't have any pain at all. My wings weren't even sore from flying hard. I wasn't out of breath, lathered or nothing. It was quiet and nice and just about the softest cloud I ever laid on. I was feeling pretty sleepy, and it didn't even seem weird; I was just really comfortable and peaceful. I sort of forgot what had been happening before. It really seemed like I’d just been here the whole time and maybe I had a bad dream that I barely remembered part of.

So I took a nap. When I woke up, there was a plate with fruit and cheese and little cakes and this really yummy syrup. I didn't see anypony around, but I figured somepony must have seen me sleeping and left it for me for breakfast. It was the best food I ever ate! Better than zap apple jam and Apple Farm cider, even! Then I took another nap. I love naps.

I heard some laughing when I woke up again and I saw Fluttershy playing with some birds about two hundred yards below me. She was only about twenty yards above the greenest grass field you ever saw, and there were all sorts of ponies down there walking around, talking and eating and laughing. I saw AJ and Rarity (who was wearing the prettiest dress ever) talking to Fancy Pants, and Zecora was running around with some fillies playing tag. I saw Pinkie Pie throwing the most outrageous party with Vinyl at this big sort of golden gazebo, and Mayor Mare was really hoofing it. She is really flexible for a mare of that age. But I didn't see you or Luna or Twilight. I figured you were all doing something important somewhere.

So I was just getting ready to sonic-rainboom-divebomb-hug Fluttershy, when all of a sudden I feel something cold and tight around my neck. I wanted to scream but I couldn't. I looked down and I saw this red and purple light sort of wrapping around me snaking down out of the upper clouds. I tried to fly away but it started pulling me up past the cloud-tops and then it was like it was a cold night with a million stars, and there was this bright light and I was getting pulled toward it. Then I remember this filly I didn't know looking at me kind of sad, and then WHAM! I was about to kick Twilight right in the face! Glad I stopped myself.

I’m sure Twilight already told you about the hurricane and how I got zapped by lightning and then Scootaloo of all ponies comes blazing at me to catch me and then we worked together to break up that storm, that was so cool! But I’m so confused.

Did Twilight really pull me back from Elysium? Has anypony ever done that before? She said something about the Elements of Harmony and magical resonance or something or the other. You know how she is, always going into lecture mode. And I know I have responsibilities here, and she and the fillies and colts really need my help, but everypony else is back in Elysium. Did they all die? Is it wrong for me to want to go back? It was so nice there, the clouds, the food, I didn't have to do any work at all if I didn't want to, and you know how much I like doing nothing. But most of all I want to see the rest of my best friends again.

Do you think she’ll bring Pinkie and Flutters and Rarity and AJ back? They've got that magical resonance stuff too, right?

Your loyal subject,

Rainbow Dash

Author's Note:

Edited 5/30/2013. Thanks Enter Madness