• Published 7th Mar 2013
  • 306 Views, 2 Comments

Equestria 2028: Friendship Still Exists - The Equestrian Tour



Windy Skies is a mare trying to live in the ruins of Equestria, but she is not the only one looking for some help to survive.

  • ...
 2
 306

A Long Night

She faded in and out of conscientiousness; trying to make sure no one would sneak up on her and surprise her. Her eyelids grew heavy as she surveyed the area, "Maybe I can take a couple minutes nap," the green mare granted herself permission.

The scene before her slowly faded to black, as her eyes failed to stay open. As soon as the young mare hid her dark orange eyes from the land, she began to breathe slowly and silently. The memories of her friends and family she knew before that fateful day played on lop as she slumbered. But only one memory kept haunting her dreams every time she slept. The wind blew in the night and kicked loose unfertile soil into the mane of the peaceful mare, but only her ears seemed to notice it's intrusion.

Before we continue on with the scene that will happen, let us learn a little more about a sleeping hero.

Her name is Windy skies, and she is a dark green pegasus with a cherry red and periwinkle mane, and her cutie mark is a pair of wings going through a finish line. Windy may have a pegasus lineage, but she is incapable of flight, due to the need to have her wings clipped. Windy was born with a disease that has only affected one other mare... Six-hundred years ago.

The disease only affects the wings of a pegasus. It makes the wings grow twice the size as they are suppose to be, so a four year old filly could have the wings of an eight year old filly. Her parents thought she was going to be a strong flier, they found out the truth at her flying academy tryout.

She lined up at the starting line to begin the entry test; the judges were anticipating her tryout for a long time because her parents had talked her up so much. After nine seconds of waiting, a bullhorn sounded from the judge's area. Windy uncased her wings, which extended far from her petite body, and she pushed off the cloud she was standing on with great velocity. When it was time to move forward, she found she couldn't. Instead she fell straight down. Everyone in attendance gave a collective gasp, and her parents immediately lifted out of their seats and flew for the test area. They flew fast, but they were not fast enough to catch her before she fell straight through the puffy cloud.

"Windy!" Her parents called with concern.

"AAAAAAHHHHHH!" she responded. Tears formed in her eyes as she plummeted, out of fear and the wind drying out her eyes. The ground approached faster and faster.

Her parents flew as fast as they could, but the filly fell faster than them. She was two hundred feet off of the ground before a large boom sounded above her, the crying filly looked up to see a rainbow heading right for her.

"At least I can see something beautiful before..." Windy didn't have time to finish her sentence. She was falling anymore, instead she was flying up.

"Don't worry kid..." a mare's voice that cracked one in a while reassured her, "You'll be okay."

Windy Skies turned to see if she could tell who saved her. "Rainbow Dash!" Windy squealed in delight.

The sky blue mare with the rainbow style mane smiled, "That's right kid, the one and only! Rainbow Dash is here to save the day!"

"Oh my Celestia!" Windy excitedly called. "I can't believe the mayor of Cloudsdale is saving me!"

"Believe it!" Rainbow Dash answered.

Rainbow Dash returned Windy Skies to her fretting parents and they immediately went to the hospital. The doctor said she made a mistake. In order for Windy to have normal size wings, she had to clip them.

"But will she be able to fly?" her mother asked nervously.

The doctor looked depressed, "She will have normal sized wings..." the doctor paused and began to mess with her mane, “but she will be incapable of flight."

It was a decision that took four days to make their minds up, but in the end they made the best decision. They took her to the doctor the next day, and when she left, she had no chance of being able to fly, ever again.

A rustle in the loose soil stirred her awake. "Hello?" Windy asked the darkness. There was no response. Windy picked herself up slowly and gazed into the darkness, "Look if you're here to freak me out..." she fumbled around and picked up a rock awkwardly with her hoof, "You better knock it off! It's not funny and I got a gun!" She made a poor attempt to make the sound of a shotgun being pumped.

More rustling was heard, there was tow or three creatures present. Windy started to back up slowly and the creatures sounded if they were getting closer. Her wings fluttered in freight, "Okay, maybe it's time to go," she told herself in her head. She dropped her bluff and backed up a little till she was at her saddlebags and bent down to pick them up, a satisfied groan could be heard. "Okay I need to get the hell out of here!" she yelled at herself in her head.

She flicked her head and threw her saddlebags over her back; she was ready to run for the hills. Then the call came, 'Get her!" The hooves of three ponies sounded in the darkness, as the outlines came closer, Windy saw the stallions' outlines.

"I can't wait to get my hooves on that flank!" on of the stallions with a deranged voice shouted.

"Not until I'm done with it!" another one answered. "You and your candle wicked penis can go play in the dirt like always!"

"Oh, shit!" Windy squeaked. "Now's the time I wish I could fly!" she began to run in the direction away from the voices.

"Would you two brain rotten idiots shut up and get the whore!" the leader called. "Plus I get all rights to that unexplored ass!"

"I'm not a whore!" Windy retaliated, then realized her mistake and ran faster, while sinking slightly into the soil.

"Over there! I can smell her!" the deranged voiced stallion called. Their hoof beats bean to follow her direction.

Windy skies continued to run in one direction, never once looking back to see if her pursuers were still following her. She has had phenomenal conditioning due to her life on the land and figuring out she was a better runner, than any pony who lived on the land. She had over twenty running awards before the day when everything went to hell.

For an hour she ran, and fifty-four minutes ago she escaped her pursuers. Windy skidded to a stop and listened closely, there was no sound besides her soft breathing. "Good, I'm safe for now," she said to herself and continued to walk.

Ideas and thoughts ran in her head, "Will I ever find a stallion who isn't crazy? Where's the next town? I wonder if anypony in Ponyville is alive? Is there anypony else in these wastelands that isn't crazy? Maybe one day I'll be able to fly." She frowned at this statement and unfolded her wings so she could examine them. "Why did this have to happen to me?"

She put her winds away and walked over a hill and became relieved. There were buildings, candle light, and a few other ponies that she could see. "It's a town, and I know crazy ponies can't build towns," Windy reassured herself. She took a deep breathe and released slowly, then sprinted towards the city.

After a few minutes, Windy arrived in the city and slowed to a walk. A stallion wearing a worn out cowboy hat leaned on a building and bowed his head. "Howdy mam," he greeted her in a thick Appleloosan accent.

"Oh, um... Howdy," Windy bowed her head awkwardly.

He went back to his leaning and Windy kept walking, "Meet a nice stallion... Check," Windy giggled.

"Hello there!" a stallion called from beside her in the shadows.

"Oh... Hello!" Windy answered.

The stallion stepped closer to her. He was scarlet with a grey mane. "I saw you walking into town, and I just had to meet you."

"Well, thank you," Windy responded a little fear in her voice.

"How stupid of me," the stallion put his hoof to the side of his head and acted like he shot himself, and began to fall, but caught himself and laughed. "My name is Scarlet River and I'm the mayor of this town," he put his hoof out.

Windy hesitated to bump her hoof on with his because she didn't feel safe around him, but she did. "My name is Windy Skies and I'm..." she thought for a second, "A traveler? I guess."

Scarlet River laughed obnoxiously loud and the leaning stallion turned his head. "Well that...Is...Funny. Hey do you need a place to rest?!" he immediately asked.

"Well..." she stumbled on her words, "yeah, but I don't really need a nice bed that bad."

Scarlet laughed more, "Ah, fiddlesticks! Come on you are staying in the Justice House tonight!" the stallion commanded and grabbed Windy's front leg and tried to drag her.

Windy retracted her leg, "Wait! What's the Justice House?"

"It's my place of residence," he explained. "I have plenty of rooms, you can have one."

Windy thought for a second as she stared at the creepy smile on the stallions face, "Well as long as we don't share..."

Scarlet's face became serious and he raised his hoof like he was taking a pledge. "Nope!" he interrupted. "You get your own room and bed."

"Okay then," Windy gave in. "I'm really tired and I need my beauty sleep," Windy joked.

"Believe me, you already are beautiful," Scarlet came closer to her and stared creepily in her eyes, Windy retracted. "Now let's go!" he ran for his fortress.

"What did I get myself into?" she questioned herself, and followed the over enthusiastic host.

The leaning stallion stood up straight. He began to walk into the alleyway next to the Justice House, "More than ya'll know mam."