• Published 3rd Mar 2013
  • 4,495 Views, 116 Comments

Cutie Mark Crusader Changelings - Smiley216



In a world where everypony's destiny is permanently emblazoned on their flank. Three young fillies seek the paths that belong to them. Little do they realize, the journey's destination is not always determined by the ones who walk it.

  • ...
11
 116
 4,495

Chapter 4

After breaking up the fight Ms. Cheerilee had sent Button and Apple Bloom to summon Diamond Tiara and Scootaloo’s parents for a conference. It was unusual, to be sure, but nothing like this had really happened before. The few fight’s Ms. Cheerilee had dealt with amounted to little more than shoving between rowdy colts, and required little more than a stern reprimand and a letter home.

Until the parents arrived there was little more she could do besides separate the two fillies and continue teaching the day’s lesson as best she could. So that’s what she did. It was unlikely any of the students were actually taking notes regarding the Great Lunar War that followed Luna’s banishment. In fact, she’d already noticed most of the unicorns in class had decided today was a good day to practice their hoofwriting; while one or two of her non-unicorn students had suddenly developed the ability to levitate their quills.

Scootaloo released her quill as a magical grip took control. Although she wasn’t one to normally take part in the school’s information grapevine she felt this was a message she needed to get.

You’re not really going to fight her after class are you?

Sweetie

She felt her head throb with increased vigor at the question, like beetles were burrowing into her temple. But she shook her head know as Sweetie turned to make eye contact. Much as she’d always wanted to pound Tiara into the ground, much as she still wanted to, once was enough. Thinking back to it the whole thing was kind of … strange. It had been easy too. Actually it had been too easy … so easy it was scary. And the scary part was that it wasn’t really scary at all, not even a little. Not when Tiara started fighting back, or even when Apple Bloom was holding her back and Diamond Tiara was about to get a few free shots she hadn’t been scared. She actually kind of liked it. Scootaloo liked what had happened … and despite everything she’d ever been taught, she wasn’t entirely sure that was a bad thing.

The quill on her desk came to life once more. ‘Another note from Sweetie, no doubt,’ she thought.

Are you alright? You’re scratching?

An eyebrow rose at this. ‘What kind of question is that? I’m not-’ but in fact she was. She hadn’t even realized but she’d been rubbing both of her forelegs raw. She even pulled a lot of the fur out without even realizing it. They felt like they were on fire, and that was … well … weird. Her whole body itched and-

“Hide.”

The word rolled through her mind in a-thousand different tones. An echoing hiss that pierced the core of her being.

“Hide, youngling, you must hide yourself. Your time is near.”

Her stomach tightened and she felt like she was going to be sick. She didn’t understand. ‘Your time is near?’ What in all under Celestia was that supposed to mean? She could feel the burning in her forelegs spreading. She supposed she could go.

“Flee, or be discovered. NOW!”

“Ms. Cheerilee can I use the bathroom?” she asked, but she was already out of her seat calmly walking at a dead sprint for the door. This wasn’t right. She was hearing voices and she felt like she was on fire from the neck down, and the flames were reaching inward.

Scootaloo burst into the one pony bathroom just down the hall and locked the door. She dashed for the sink and splashed water onto her fur but couldn’t even feel it running on her hooves. She saw it soaking her fur and could feel its weight, but the cool, wet sensation she longed for remained absent.

Pain lanced through her heart and spine, causing her to collapse and convulse there on the floor. She gasped and tried to call out for help, but the pain was too great. She saw a glow emanating from her hooves as the fire she felt began to take form. Ethereal green tongues of flame consuming her legs.

“Good,” encouraged the voice, “let it take you. Let the fire consume your being. Let yourself be reborn.” A few moments later the fire evaporated and the pain vanished; little more than the memory of the blackened creature lying on the floor.

She scrambled off the floor looking around. Something felt very wrong. She didn’t know what but something was different. An image flitted in the corner or her eye and pulled her attention to it. The mirror.

As she neared she could see … not herself, but somepony … no, something moving just the way she was. “I’m … I’m a … changeling?” It made no sense. This had to be some kind of trick. A spell? That had to be it. Somepony in class had simply enchanted the mirror to make anypony who looked at it see themselves as a changeling. It was just a prank. Twilight had taught them about low-level enchantments like this. Just a little pressure on the mirror to bend the glass would distort the magic field on it and the spell would break.

She reached out and pressed her hoof against the mirror.

Nothing happened.

She pressed into the glass harder, and harder. ‘Come … on … you stupid … enchantment … BREAK!’

*CRACK*

The glass shuddered beneath her hoof, breaking into an irregular spider’s web of angular cracks. Each piece shifted and settled into their new spaces, revealing a thousand different views of her new face. The pupil-less blue eyes, the bent and gnarled horn, the lethal looking fangs, every detail reflected back in a faux-Ponicasso array of observation.

‘Oh nononono this is bad, this is very, very bad,’ she thought to herself. ‘I-i-I can’t be a changeling. I’m NOT a changeling. I’m a pegasus, a filly pegasus born in Cloudsdale. I live in Ponyville. I … I’m … I’m-’

The lock on the door lock clicked as a magical influence released the latch. The door opened and revealed a grey unicorn colt, perhaps only 5 years older than Scootaloo herself. She’d had seen him at the Foster Center a few times, but she didn’t even know his name.

However, the unicorn seemed unfazed by the presence of the bug-like pony. In fact, the colt bowed his head to her black chitin form.

“Greetings, your majesty.”