• Published 27th Feb 2013
  • 3,443 Views, 63 Comments

Reckless Abandon - Closer-To-The-Sun



Repeated dreams about Big Macintosh have been bugging Rainbow Dash for a while. She comes to the conclusion that she needs to talk to somepony about the issue.

  • ...
4
 63
 3,443

Chapter 2: Summer Wind

Chapter 2: Summer Wind

Celestia’s morning sun was starting to warm the land of Equestria. One blue pegasus was feeling the vibes from celestial body. Her wings tingled from the warmth as she glided down to Ponyville. Landing in the bustling town square, she looked amongst the busy ponies for a familiar face. However, she was unable to find one and the cacophony of sound made it hard for her to even focus.

“Grrr….stupid ponies….” Rainbow Dash mumbled under her breath, “can’t even look around for somepony without a huge crowd getting in my way.”

The wind blew at Rainbow’s mane, playing with her already messy, bed head mane. She took a deep breath of the passing breeze, getting a pleasant scent of apples in her lungs. Looking to the direction that the wind was coming from, Dash saw apple trees in the distance.

“Well, I could go to the source of my problem, I guess,” she said to herself. Trotting through the crowd of ponies, Dash started to head toward Sweet Apple Acres.

It was still fairly early in the morning, about nine in the morning. Finally getting out of the busy town, the pegasus started trotting down an empty path through a grove of trees. Rainbow Dash noticed that the morning dew was present on a few of the trees, coating the branches, leaves, and apples. The morning sun had yet to get warm the orchards yet. The pegasus’ ear perked up at a strange sound that could only be described as clicks.

Getting closer to the barn and home of the Apple family, Rainbow Dash saw a familiar face. While it was not exactly the pony she wanted to talk to, it was a pony she felt it was as good as any place to start.

“Hey Applejack,” Rainbow trotted up to her friend.

“Well, howdy there, Rainbow Dash. What brings ya ‘round these parts?” the orange earth pony greeted with a smile.

“Nothing really, just stopping by to see what’s up and all,” Dash spoke, kicking the dirt below her hoof, “By the way, what is that weird sound I heard coming in the farm? Sounded like a bunch of weird clicks or something.”

“Oh, that would be the cicadas,” Applejack described, “Every summer they come along an’ make their music ‘round the farm. The season would be very odd without their singin’, if ya ask me.”

Dash muttered, “Well, I find them kind of annoying….”

Applejack laughed slightly at Rainbow Dash’s comment. She then looked at her friend’s crestfallen state, “It seems like yer feelin’ out of it. Well, ah know it might be none of mah business, but it seems somethin’ has got ya more down than a dog without a bone.”

“Is it that obvious that something’s up?” Dash asked.

“Well, it’s a bit of a talent ah got of noticin’ when somepony’s feelin’ down,” the blonde mare used her hoof to raise her hat up to get a better view of the pegasus in front of her, “Wanna talk ‘bout it?”

With a heavy sigh, Dash moved around to sit down on one of the barrels just outside of the barn, “Uh, sure….um….” she was very hesitant of starting, unsure of how to explain the situation.

Applejack gave a small giggle, “Take yer time, sugarcube. Ah understand that startin’ is the hard part.”

Dash looked down at the dirty ground, “Applejack, what would you do if you wanted to tell somepony something, but were afraid to even say anything?”

“Come again?”

“Like,” Rainbow Dash explained, “if you wanted to do say something special to a certain pony….would you tell them it, or would you just not say anything?”

“Well, if we’re talkin’ ‘bout me, then that’s a little hard fer me since ah’m the element of honesty,” the orange mare explained.

“That’s not what I mean, AJ. I mean, putting the element thing aside, what would you do?” Rainbow Dash restated her question.

Thinking about the issue, Applejack replied, “It would depend on who it is, of course.”

“What about if it was….was somepony that was a relative of your friend?” Rainbow nervously expanded the situation.

“Ah’m not sure, Rainbow. Ah guess ah’d just say try an’ say somethin’ when the time seemed right, ya hear what ah’m gettin’ at?”

“But what if what you had to say was just so embarrassing and junk that you would die if you just said it to them? Wouldn’t it just kill ya?” Rainbow asked yet another question to her earth pony friend.

With the wind messing with her blonde mane, Applejack replied, “Yeah, it might be embarrassin’, but at least ah would have gotten it off mah chest.”

“I guess you have a point….”

“Again, ah understand that this is a bit of a private matter an’ all, but ah still don’t know what yer problem and or why it’s botherin’ ya so. What is it that’s got ya more knotted up than a lasso?” Applejack was very concerned about her friend.

The pegasus looked back to Applejack, “You haven’t figured it out?”

“Nope. But if yer some scared of embarrassment, then maybe you should just let sleepin’ dogs lie,” the orange mare suggested.

Rainbow wasn’t convinced by Applejack’s advice, “I don’t know about that, AJ. I mean, I feel I have to do something about it.”

“Then what’s stoppin’ ya, do somethin’ ‘bout it.”

“But I’m too scared to! Okay? I admit it,” Rainbow Dash blurted out, defeated, “I really am….”

Applejack smirked, “There’s no shame in bein’ scared ‘bout somethin’, Rainbow. It’s what makes us ourselves. Ah mean, if ya weren’t scared, that would be quite strange.”

With a groan of annoyance, Rainbow Dash hopped down from her seat on the barrel, “This is getting really getting dumb. I need to talk to somepony else about this.”

The orange mare shrugged, “Well, hope ya figure out somethin’ ta do about yer problem, Dash.”

“Thanks. And, uh….sorry about bothering you with my stupid problems,” Rainbow Dash began to trot away from the farm, feeling the summer wind blowing against her coat.

“Not a problem, Rainbow Dash, what are friends for?” Applejack nodded towards Dash.

Rainbow nodded as she took off and flew up into the sky. She headed back in the direction of Ponyville, hoping she could find another pony to talk about her issue. As she soared towards the town, Dash couldn’t shake the thought of Big Macintosh from her mind, causing her to blush slightly.