• Published 27th Feb 2013
  • 592 Views, 18 Comments

United Nations of Pegasi - Scourgeous



Prequel of Be Forgotten For Your Differences or Have Your Differences Forgotton.

  • ...
1
 18
 592

A Turn For The Worst

Derpy Hooves flicked water from her mane, stomping the liquid from her hair with her hooves. Steam rose in the air from the bath that had recently been drained, clinging to the mirror, and making the air humid and warm. The gray Pegasus stretched her wings gently, then reached for her eye-patch.

A long time in the running, she had become used to the fact that her eyes were not quite right. She'd accepted it even, with the help of the ponies she loved. But when it came to proving her flying skills, she couldn't afford to make mistakes. Today was an assessment for all ponies who were guards. Derpy herself was a guard to Luna, even though the previous Princess of the night had stepped down from her position in royalty and become a teacher for every pony willing to learn.

The attire had never changed much from her old guards to what Derpy wore now. She had tight fitting gold armor, but it was more for show than for protection. There were gaps wide enough to fit her wings and for her muscles to flex out in the open. A blue pendant clasped it in place around her neck, but she wore her Element necklace over-top of it.

Once she'd slipped into her armor, she trotted confidently out into the living room. Lyra was opening the windows to let in the mild air. Derpy dipped her head in greeting, then sat down and began to stretch each of her legs.

"Where is Dinky?" Derpy said, looking around.

Lyra stuck her head out of the window for a moment, then pulled it back inside. "She's outside, about to join the others. I guess she wants to cheer you on."

Warmth bloomed inside of Derpy and she nodded vigorously, itching with excitement. She wanted to show her daughter that she was no longer a clumsy mail-mare, but a flier, a protector of Luna. Said Alicorn was not inside, probably out in the fresh air, giving orders and commands to everypony.

Derpy blinked down at her necklace for a moment, then trotted out of the cottage, shaking out her warm damp fur in the cold biting air. It was Winter, and the landscape was blanketed in white. Taking a deep breath, Derpy let her eyes adjust to the stinging cold and the brightness of the snow, then bounded forward, hooves sinking into the thick white dunes.

"Derpy! Derpy!" Dinky's lavender shape came tunneling through the snow, her eyes glowing. She rubbed up against her mother, her tail bobbing up and down.

"Where is Luna?" Derpy asked, trying to spot the dark mare in the bright snow.

Dinky shrugged, blinking slowly and sighing when her mother looked disappointed. "I don't know. She received a letter and flew off, promising that she would be back in time to watch the assessment."

"Oh..." The light inside of Derpy dimmed for a moment, and her forehead creased in a frown. Who would send Luna a letter so important that she had to leave to attend to it?

"Pegasi, Earth Ponies, and Unicorns alike, gather!" Spitfire, one of the Wonderbolts, was standing knee-deep in snow a good distance away, beckoning all of the ponies around. Together with Luna she was going to judge the fliers of the academty. Surely she wouldn't start without the Alicorn?

Nerves fluttered in Derpy's stomach. She winced slightly as she slipped in beside Trixie, folding her wings by her sides. She had thought that she would be performing in front of her close friend, Luna, but still the Alicorn was yet to return. She snorted gently and adjusted her necklace, the cold air tickling at the spots where her fur was thinner.

"Now," Spitfire began, "Today you understand that you will tested that your flight skills are still in order. Ponies who do not pass will have to train with me and Soarin to improve what you lack in. Ponies who pass will join the Weather Team for Winter Wrap Up."

"Hold up!" Dinky squealed, her voice full of excitement as she thrust through the crowd. "Look! It's Luna!"

The filly pointed to the sky, and Derpy raised her head, a smile spreading on her face as she saw the larger mare flying overhead, doing a whirl around the clearing before landing gently, wings stretched wide, head held tall. Derpy dipped her head gently to her friend, but Luna's gaze simply washed over her, then flicked away again.

What's going on? Derpy thought sourly, picking out the way Luna observed everyone in front of her as if they were much lower beings. Her deep blue coat didn't have the same sheen, instead it was more of a stone gray, a color more like slate compared to Derpy herself.

"Greetings, ponies." Luna said, voice echoing all around.

Derpy pursed her mouth shut as the others excitedly greeted their mentor in return, suspicion stabbing at her chest. She watched as the Alicorn sauntered over to Spitfire and spoke quietly with her, before turning to the crowd and waving her wings in signal for them to split into the groups of their type.

Slowly but surely, Derpy slid away from Trixie and followed close behind another Pegasus. She sighed a little and tried to ignore the niggling feeling about Luna, guessing that the former Princess was just trying to act formal for the important occasion.

"Unicorns, today you will be going to Canterlot to meet Princess Celestia." Luna said, saying her sisters voice with what seemed like spite, "You have prepared here the best you can, and now you are ready to join her academy as well known students."

Derpy glanced at Trixie, to find that the blue unicorn was fixing Luna with a dark, confused stare. Obviously both ponies had the same worries about their mentor. She turned back to watch Luna, narrowing her eyes to slits.

"Earth ponies, you will be preparing for Winter Wrap Up. You must go to Ponyville, and make sure everything is done right." Luna continued, and her choice of words twisted Derpy like a spring.

Spitfire had obviously noticed Luna's sharp tone, and she laughed nervously and scraped her hoof on the ground. "Travel lightly, and make sure to have fun."

More ponies around her started to bristle, and Derpy shook her head lightly. Whatever has happened, I'm going to get to the bottom of it.

"And Pegasi," Luna's voice cause Derpy's attention, "I will witness your assessment. Begin."

While the other ponies separated into their various groups in chatty lumps, Derpy struggled between them and raced up to Luna, eyes full of worry. She skid beside the Alicorn and waved her wings angrily, trying to get her attention. When Luna finally looked down, she yawned and looked Derpy up and down as if she was a meal being looked over by a hungry pair of eyes.

Derpy cleared her throat and glared up at Luna, but forced her voice smooth. "Wish me luck." she said.

"You wish." Luna replied darkly.

Okay, now I know something is up! Derpy was taken aback by Luna's sharp comeback. She glanced at the group of Pegasi heading away, then back at the Alicorn. She sat down stubbornly, refusing to move away.

"What's your problem?" She growled, jabbing Luna with a hoof.

The larger mare looked down at her with what looked like boredom in her eyes. "I don't have a problem, it's obviously you who has the problem."

There was a sudden sparkle of magic, and a twirl of bright smoke as a letter appeared in front of Luna, then gently floated to the ground. She reached out for it lazily, but Derpy snatched it out of the air and unrolled it, smirking as the Alicorn glared at her as if to say 'How dare you?'

The letter read:
Dear Luna,
Do not let yourself get out of hand, I am on my way. Reach deep into your heart, and hold out until I get there! This doesn't change anything.
From Celestia.

Derpy glanced up at Luna, then rolled the scroll up neatly and tucked it under her wing. "I don't know what is going on, but you better tell me!"

Luna growled and rose to her hooves, eyes burning as her stone gray mane whirled around her. "Give me that letter!"

Quick as a snake, Derpy darted away and fluttered into the air, clasping the letter tight in her teeth. "It's not important! You just have to suck it up until Celestia gets here!"

As if summoned by her name, the white Alicorn came flying out through the trees, snow whipping up around her like a blizzard. She half crash-landed in front of Luna, eyes burning. She rose onto her hind legs, front legs swiping.

"Derpy!" She cried, staring up at the gray Pegasus. "Quickly, your neckla-"

She was cut off as the ground trembled violently, causing screams of panic and fear to rise into the air. Snow was shaken off the trees, and the earth continued to rumble, shaking so hard that Celestia and Luna both stumbled sideways. Derpy tried to place her feet on the ground, but she was instantly cast aside. She rose into the air, pulling her necklace off and trying to get it over her head-helm and the bristling blue hair spouting from the top, but failing.

"Luna! Celestia!" She cried, watching them stagger around, trying to get off the ground with beats of their wings. Suddenly, a coldness tied around her like a choking rope.

Save yourself. Fly away. Said a slow, deep voice in her mind. She doesn't love you, obviously. Just look at the way she spoke to you. Forget them.

Derpy tossed her head, almost crashing for the ground. She resisted the taunting words, landing on the ground and skidding as it continued to quake. Never will you overpower my love for my friends!

There was a bright flash of light, and Derpy squinted, seeing Luna struggling to pin Celestia to the ground. The two large Alicorns wrestled on the shaking, snowy ground. Darkness was all Derpy saw in Luna's eyes, and the light from Celestia's horn washed over both of them, soon consuming the whole area, taking over Derpy too.

She pressed close to the ground, trembling with fear. Quickly, your necklace. Celestia's voice echoed in her head. Derpy clutched at her neck, but she felt nothing but fur. The Element necklace was gone. Soon the light faded to pitch black, and Derpy suddenly had the sensation of falling, falling, falling...