• Published 26th Feb 2013
  • 451 Views, 4 Comments

Do You Remember? - unknownmercury



Ponies come and go, but memories are forever.

  • ...
1
 4
 451

Celestia to Twilight

Do you remember when you became my student? How your magic went out of control on account of a Sonic Rainboom made by your friend Rainbow Dash? Do you remember how you hatched Spike and turned your parents into house plants? And, when you saw me, you pulled yourself together and fixed everything?

Do you remember the years you spent growing up and learning under me? Do you remember how every time you had a question, I pointed you in the right direction, but never gave you the answer? I always trusted you to figure it out. Do you remember how I never doubted you, even if I knew you were wrong? That's what good teachers do.

Do you remember when I told you to make some friends? How you went to Ponyville and met the five best friends you could have asked for? Do you remember all your adventures with them and how, in the end, you became a princess and an Alicorn? I remember.

Do you remember when your friends grew older while you remained young? Do you remember the joy you felt when they each had their children? You looked like a proud aunt. Do you remember helping to raise them? You couldn't have been happier if they had been your own foals.

Do you remember the pain you felt when you realized they would die? Do you remember the sorrow you felt when Pinkie Pie stopped being able to throw parties? When Apple Jack stopped being able to buck apples? When Dash stopped flying because of her arthritis, and Rarity's eyesight started going, or when Fluttershy could hardly speak with her animals?

Do you remember how hard you cried at their funerals? Each time was like the first. No, worse, because each time you had one less friend and one less person to console you until eventually you just had me. Do you remember when we put your last friend in the ground? Do you remember how you said you would never love anypony ever again?

Do you remember how their children's children called you Grandma? Do you remember how many times you broke your promise to never love, and how many times you remade it, only to have it dashed again and again?

Do you remember the pain you felt when they all died? It is the pain of a thousand years and more, and it will never get better.