• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 5,056 Views, 30 Comments

Blue Blur In Equestria - DKN117



Shortly after defeating the Black Arms, an incident with Tails' new invention tosses Sonic across the realms and into Equestria. There, he discovers that this world will soon need his help.

  • ...
8
 30
 5,056

What Is, And What Is To Come

Sonic sighed sadly as he stared up at the vacant cloud house in the sky above Ponyville, gradually coming apart without anyone to maintain it. After Discord was re-petrified, things had been – by Ponyville standards – run-of-the-mill. The town-wide brawl set off by Twilight’s brief psychotic episode, the re-introduction of Princess Luna to the public on this world’s equivalent of Halloween, Apple-Bloom’s brief encounter with an obscure disease, Rainbow Dash’s acquiring of a pet…

And then came the “Mare-Do-Well Incident”.

Trixie and Sonic’s group had been out of town handling another mission from Celestia, and had come back to find the townsfolk talking about the recent happenings… and nothing but bad things about Dash. They’d promptly grilled Spike and the girls. Sonic was furious, his rarely-seen anger at such a base and cruel-hearted betrayal of his friend’s trust leaving Twilight cowering. Dash’s local reputation had been completely and utterly destroyed, as had her self-confidence. It turned out that Pinkie, Fluttershy, and Rarity had been against it the moment they realized just how far Twilight planned to go, and Applejack came around after seeing just how dismissive, spiteful, contemptuous, and… hateful… the townsfolk had become towards Dash, to the point that some were using her name as a slur, and just how bad the pegasus had taken everything. Just four days after the incident, after realizing just how badly she’d screwed up, Twilight was guilt-stricken, and tried to apologize.

It failed. Twilight refused to allow anyone to heal or conceal the black eye she now sported from Dash’s kick. The next day, Rainbow Dash was gone, having flown the coop to manage weather over Appleloosa, to get away from the “former” friends who’d betrayed her, leaving behind a threat to break the legs of anyone who tried to stop her or bring her back. Pinkie and Scootaloo took it the hardest, the former with her mane & tail-fur near-constantly flat and dull, and the latter refusing to come out of her room at her home, not even to see the other Crusaders, which was worrying the hell out of her mother, as well as being beyond furious with Twilight. The one time the librarian tried to apologize to her resulted in Scootaloo knocking a tooth out and actually breaking Twilight’s tail; it had taken Big Macintosh’s incredible strength (he happened to be passing by when the one-sided altercation was taking place) to pull the enraged filly away before she harmed the off-guard and wounded Twilight even worse.

The “away team” got back to Ponyville three days after Rainbow Dash left it behind, and the signs of Dash’s absence were already starting to make themselves known. Now, it had been a full week, and they were even more apparent. Sonic’s anger at Twilight had faded some, but only because he could see she was already torturing herself over it and didn’t need his input to feel bad/worse. Without Dash to do a lot of the heavy lifting, the weather-maintenance ponies just couldn’t keep up anymore, and the days gradually became more & more cloudy and overcast. The townsfolk’s harsh remarks at Dash’s apparent laziness came to a dead halt when, at a town meeting, Shadow told everyone how Dash’s spirit and faith had been broken to the point where she “gave up” on herself and on Ponyville and headed out west to the desert. After that, the amount of negative comments about Dash in day-to-day conversations plummeted. As it sank in with everyone just how badly Dash had been affected, the general mood came to match the dreary skies.

Just yesterday, the gang had returned from Canterlot, where they’d all celebrated Twilight’s 20th birthday… and nearly ruined Rarity’s chance to win over potential customers there, until the local rich guy turned out to be the farthest from “arrogant, close-minded snob” that Sonic had ever seen in a wealthy person (Amy even referred to him as “the anti-Blueblood”). Sonic shook his head, clearing out his present sulking thoughts, and hopped to his feet. He took off on a “light” run at a “leisurely” 150 miles per hour to clear his head, zipping down the grassy hill he’d been lounging on and heading along the border of the town.

However, as he passed by the border to the forest, near Fluttershy’s cottage, he saw something pitch-black moving around near the trees. He changed course, halved his speed, and headed for it. Sure enough, it was a shadow-demon. He grinned and came in with a Homing Attack, smashing the beast into a tree, where it slid down and then burst into black particles. Sure enough, nearly two dozen of the bastards then came out of the shadows (literally) all around Sonic, surrounding him, their glowing-red eyes all focusing on him. He leapt into action, taking down one with a kick to the head, and then bouncing off another one, wounding but not destroying it. He Homing-Attacked three of them, destroying them, and an uppercut stunned a fourth.

Suddenly a boulder, wreathed in a green glow, came flying in out of nowhere, flattening five of the shadow-demons as it did. Sonic looked in the direction it had come from, but saw nothing. A long-fallen tree, stripped of its branches and the end filed into a sharp tip, came hurtling from the other direction, also glowing a faint green, and impaled itself through six more of the hostiles. Sonic then, following a hunch, looked in a direction perpendicular to the projectiles’ points of origin, and sure enough he saw the person responsible, walking… no, floating towards him and the shadow-demons surrounding him.

He was a silver-furred hedgehog, his quills sticking out and up. His irises were a golden color, yet distinguishable from the shade that Darkness-corruption caused. White and navy-blue shoes with turquoise toes, gold ankle & wrist bracelets with teal-blue lines, and teal circles on the palms of white gloves completed the look. He looked to be slightly younger than Sonic, despite being an inch or two taller. He made a palm-up rising motion with his hand, and the ground beneath the demons seized and lurched upward, knocking them all off-balance. Sonic took the chance and Stomp-Attacked four more of them before the rest could get back up. A black blur smacking into and through three more signaled Shadow joining the fight.

Between the three of them, it was a quick and brutal one-sided affair. As the dust settled, Sonic & Shadow walked up to the newcomer.

“Those were some pretty fancy tricks you pulled off, kid!” Sonic congratulated.

“I have a feeling you’re not just here to make friends” Shadow said.

“No, I’m not” the boy replied. “My name is Silver. I’m… I’m from the future.”

“The future?” Sonic was a tad shocked. “Are you serious?!”

“Yes. …And so is the situation that brought me here. If you two could gather your allies so I would only have to explain things once…”

“All right” Shadow replied. “Head to the apple orchard on the west end of town, and go to the barn; we’ll all meet up there.”

-SCENE BREAK-

30 minutes later, the whole gang (minus the missing Loyalty Element) was gathered in the barn near Applejack’s house. Silver noticed that they all seemed rather solemn; when he dared to ask why, the blue unicorn explained that “a short-sighted mistake by some of us cost us all a friend”, and left it at that.

“So…” Knuckles said. “Let’s hear it.”

Silver sighed as he took a seat. “As I told Sonic & Shadow, I’m from their world’s future – 85 years, to be exact. The world is in utter ruin; less than eight percent of the population is still alive.”

Everyone gasped.

“W-What caused this?” Cream asked.

“The emergence of an extremely powerful dark entity was responsible. Very little is known about this daemon, other than that it supposedly came from this world, and was able to cross over because of the two worlds’ cross-dimensional proximity.”

“Is it Discord?” Twilight asked.

“No” Silver replied. “According to records, this thing is far older and more powerful; in fact, it destroyed Discord when he tried to challenge its power.”

Everyone was shocked silent as they processed all this.

“What about me?” Sonic asked. “And Shadow? Didn’t we try to stop it?”

“You couldn’t. Because when the creature emerged… it killed both of you before you even knew what was happening.”

Amy almost fainted.

“I’m… dead?”

“Yes. You two were the only ones capable of accessing the true, full power of the Chaos Emeralds, enough to threaten the Beast. So it took you out preemptively. With no-one else capable of harnessing the Emeralds’ powers, it was uncontested, and ravaged the world.”

“But what about us?” Pinkie asked. “What about the Elements of Harmony?”

“It may have come from this world,” Silver said, “but it lay low until it could gather strength clandestinely and then hop over to our world. There, it gathered more power until it could kill my timeline’s Sonic & Shadow when they were caught off-guard. Then it spent about a decade or so settling in and growing more & more in power, before it finally attacked this world. It picked off my timeline’s Element-Bearers one at a time, not giving them the chance to unite and unleash the Harmony Elements. And then it did to this world what it did to mine. Between both worlds, there are now less than 500,000 sentient beings still alive, and the number is dwindling further by the day.

“We don’t know what it is, what it wants, or where it came from. All we know is that it’s turned both worlds into blasted hellscapes. But I know a way to stop it, and that’s why I used the Master Emerald’s last shred of ancient power to jump back to here & now. If I can prevent Sonic & Shadow’s deaths, I can break the chain of events that lead to that horrible future! You two will be able to beat this thing before it can become unstoppable! And the power of the Harmony Elements could help us even more!”

“…That last one won’t work now” Shadow said. “One of the Element-Bearers was the ‘lost friend’ Trixie mentioned. With how badly hurt she felt, it might be years before Dash decides to try returning, if not decades.”

“Oh…” Silver looked slightly despondent.

“Hey” Sonic said, trying to sound cheerful. “Relax, kid. Me and Shadow should be enough… right?”

“I… suppose so. …I hope so.”

“We’ll just have to find out” Rouge said.

“Could this new threat be connected to the shadow-demons we’ve been seeing around the past couple of months?” Tails asked.

“If they’re the ones that tried to attack Sonic when I showed up, then yes; those are the Beast’s foot-soldiers.”

“Well, now that we know he’s coming, he won’t be able to catch me or Shadow off-guard and take us out! And even if he tries to overpower us the old-fashioned way, you’ll all be there to get our backs, right?”

The rest of the group nodded, including Silver.

“We… should inform the Princesses” Twilight said.

“Already set” Spike replied, holding the scroll he’d been writing on since the conversation began. He breathed out a burst of magic fire, sending the message on its way to Celestia. Less than a minute later, the reply came. Spike looked it over.

“She wants us all to come up to the castle tomorrow so she can debrief Silver in person” Spike said.

“Why don’t I show you around town,” Knuckles said to Silver, “introduce you, explain things to you?”

“That’d be alright, I guess.”

-SCENE BREAK-

Celestia and Luna stood inside the meeting hall as the group entered and walked up to them… minus one.

“Where is Rainbow Dash?” Luna asked.

“A plan by Twilight Sparkle to teach the Bearer of Loyalty a lesson in humility went terribly awry,” Omega replied, “destroying her self-confidence and trust in the other Bearers, and leaving her the subject of ridicule, distrust, and hatred amongst the townsfolk. She has left to manage weather over a desert settlement out west, leaving behind threats of grievous bodily harm toward anyone who attempts to retrieve her.”

“Is this true, Twilight?” Celestia asked her student, her voice as stern and serious as after the “Lesson Zero” incident as she noticed the still-healing black eye on her cowering protégé.

“…I screwed up…” Twilight whimpered.

“We’ll fill you in on the details later, Your Majesties” Sonic interrupted. “For now, I think the coming problem that Silver here informed us of takes precedence.”

“…Very well. If you would tell us what you told them, Mr. Silver?”

And so he did. He answered any questions the two sisters had to the best of his knowledge, and they gave him reports on the attacks by the shadow-demons over the last few months.

Interesting tale, boy.

Everyone jumped at the sudden voice from nowhere.

“W-What the hell was that?” Knuckles said.

“I sense something in the gardens!” Luna shouted.

“That energy…” Silver muttered. “No… Not here! Not now!”

In a flash, Celestia teleported the entire group to the gardens, toward the back; Discord’s petrified form was visible a fair distance away. A shadowy, amorphous being faded into existence in front of them, a “body” apparently composed of semi-solid black smoke, and glowing red eyes staring down at them.

I would have preferred more time to ready myself before being revealed,” it said in a deep, flanging voice, “but your interference has forced my hand, psyker. …Ah, Luna; my previous host. Very few have survived my expulsion, and fewer still retained their sanity after it. You have commendable strength of will.

“You’re…” Celestia’s eyes widened. “You’re the abomination that made Nightmare Moon…”

And Nightmare Vulcanus, and Nightmare Xe’thot, and Nightmare Abyss, and Nightmare K’Dar, and an uncountable number of others in my eons of existence, roaming the various realms. I have taken many hosts – an alicorn, a Jiralhanae High-Chieftain, a Draconequus, a Rachni Queen, a Xel’Naga, a Forerunner ‘Promethean’ Soldier, more than one human, and many others. I have stood back and witnessed the fall of over a dozen interstellar civilizations, the collapse of five realities, and the deaths of more beings than have ever existed on this planet.

“What do you want?” the elder Princess asked.

To gain enough power to manifest a physical form of my own, free of the need for a host to unleash my full power. The power to raise tsunami and flatten mountains with the wave of a hand, the power to bring thousands to their knees with my mere voice, the power to return worlds to the chaotic darkness from which all creation was spawned! The abundant Cosmic Background Magic these two worlds are swathed in will be more than enough to accomplish that! …But, in my current state, I lack the power to accomplish these things. So I shall take my leave and gather my needed strength elsewhere for now.

“And what makes you think we’ll let you leave?” Sonic asked.

Because you’ll be too busy dealing with someone else to chase after me.

In a whorl of black smoke, the entity disappeared… and reappeared right next to Discord’s statue, raising a glowing, clawed hand toward it.

“No!!” Celestia cried out as she and the others ran at him, blasting beams of Holy magic. But they couldn’t hit him in time. The black claw settled atop the statue’s head, and Darkness magic radiated out from it and into the petrified form. There was a concussive wave of magic that knocked everyone back and off their feet.

“I wasn’t expected to be free again so s-WOAH! I thought your kind was wiped out by the Precursors 500,000 years ago!”

Most of us; out of the 14 of us who existed before then, seven survived. They have since been destroyed, the last shortly after creating me, so only I remain.

“So what’s the occasion, Mr. Tall, Black, & Ethereal?”

I have need of your… unique services, to keep these mortals occupied.

Discord grinned as he sized up the group of ponies staring and glaring. “Well, well. The sisters and the wielders of the Elements of… Wait a sec; where’s the light-blue one?”

“Sparkle’s attempt to teach Dash humility failed catastrophically; utterly betrayed and broken in spirit, the Bearer of Loyalty abandoned the group and fled westward. You need not fear the Harmony Elements this time.

Discord burst into laughter at this. “You mean even without my help, they still tear each other apart? Awesome! Ooh, and look at the black eye on her! …Hey, who are the bipeds?”

Warriors from the world that shares this planet’s location in the next Realm over.

“World-hoppers, eh? …I’m surprised it’s not humans. You know how unfailingly curious they are; can’t leave anything new alone, always have to investigate every new pathway they stumble upon, every bit of someone else’s old tech they find, every new law of nature they discover…”

I need you to keep them all occupied while I make my exit. If you can do that, I’ll give you half of this galaxy when I finally acquire the power I seek.

“Aw, can’t you give me Andromeda? It’s got more people in it to have fun with!”

You’re in no position to be making demands, whelp. You have only 28,000 years to your name, compared to my 204,000! Besides, after your failure the last time I freed you a few weeks ago, you’re damned lucky I’m giving you another chance at all, and that I didn’t blast your petrified form into its constituent atoms.

“Fine, gramps. You win; I’ll play with these bugs for a while. But when I get half of this big disc, I want Eta Carinae; that star’s set to blow up real good, and I want a front-seat show to the inhabited planets that are in the inevitable GRB’s blast zone!”

Whatever. Just do your job.

The red-eyed black shadow-figure vanished from sight, leaving the Draconequus alone with the heroes. Sonic looked to Shadow, who nodded, and they both stepped forward.

“Hedgehogs, eh?” Discord raised an eyebrow. “And you’ve each got two pretty powerful Old Magic artifacts stored inside you. …This could be fun…”

Discord focused his energies, and then let loose a pulse of power. It shoved everyone except Sonic and Shadow away, locking them outside of the dome that now encapsulated the three of them; however, the two moved quickly enough to grab hold of Tails and Rouge, respectively, keeping them in. Things began to shift and warp randomly within, chunks of the ground floating and taking odd shapes. The four heroes took combat stances.

(BOSS MUSIC: Sonic Unleashed OST – “Egg Dragoon”)

“Time for a boss battle, suckers!”

Discord made the first move, unleashing a storm of energy beams that began to randomly zip about as they approached the quartet, changing directions every half-second. The four all went different directions, and three beams pursued each of them. Tails and Rouge flitted about through the air, while Sonic and Shadow ran in randomized patterns that the beams still managed to track them through. Shadow quickly tired of things, pulling out an Emerald.

“Chaos Control!”

In a flash of light, the black hedgehog disappeared, the trio of beams dissipating into nothing upon losing their target. He reappeared in the air behind Discord, and fired a burst of energy from the Chaos Emerald in his hand. Discord could not get out of the way in time, and snarled as the blast actually caused him – him, of all beings! – pain. Without their master’s concentration, the other tracking beams fizzled out. Discord teleported out of the way of a Homing Attack from Shadow, reappearing on the other side of the warped garden.

‘That gem…’ he thought to himself. ‘Two with each hedgehog, one with each of their two little friends, and a seventh with the little red guy with dreadlocks outside… And what’s more, they’re leaving their wielders immune to most of my powers; I can’t corrupt or transform these guys! Are these things their world’s answer to the Harmony Elements?’

“Is that the best you’ve got?” Rouge taunted.

“Hardly, my dear” Discord replied. “That was just the opening volley!”

He then lunged forward at Shadow, charging his body with Chaos Magic. Shadow leapt to the side, barely dodging a claw swipe, and a spinning blue ball rammed itself into the back of Discord’s head from behind; Sonic then uncurled and lashed out with a kick to the base of the daemonic chimera’s right arm. A pulse of power from Discord sent both hedgehogs tumbling away, landing on their feet unharmed. Sonic held a Chaos Emerald in his hand, channeling its power.

“Chaos Whirlwind!”

A swirling blue mini-tornado of energy enveloped Discord, blades of wind slicing at his flesh, until he managed to teleport out, appearing directly above and behind the blue hedgehog. Rouge swept in, grabbing hold of Sonic and pulling him out of the way just in time to avoid being smashed into the earth. At his insistence, she then Thunder-Shot him at the dark being, a spinning blue cannonball shrouded in electrical energy hurtling at Discord’s face. Discord conjured a shield, which Sonic bounced off of, Rouge’s energy-charge dissipating harmlessly.

Discord channeled power into his left arm, the eagle talons being supplemented by six-foot-long claws of magical energy. He charged again, but this time he teleported out. The four were looking to the sides, above, behind – everywhere he could come from. And then he reappeared directly in front of them, right where he would have been had he not teleported. They were caught off-guard, and the two hedgehogs barely reacted in time to raise Emerald-generated shields to keep themselves and their two friends from being impaled or bisected. They were instead sent flying, the shields shattering as they absorbed the attacks, tumbling to a stop. They got back to their feet and shook themselves off, just in time for Discord to fire his solid-magic claws at them as spears. Sonic pulled out both of his Chaos Emeralds, slamming them together; in response, a shockwave blasted outward, blowing the large projectiles off-course, sticking into the ground and walls harmlessly.

As the other three charged Discord to keep him occupied, Shadow focused power into one of his Emeralds, held in his hands. After several seconds, he thrusted the arm holding the Emerald forward, unleashing a blast of energy that blitzed toward Discord:

“Chaos Spear!”

The energy bolt smashed dead-on into Discord, exploding on impact. The Draconequus was knocked back, now visibly injured. Sonic used the opportunity to land a Homing Attack “uppercut”, stunning the chimera. Then Shadow came in again, having launched himself somehow, and landed a crushing blow to Discord’s face, knocking his one fang out and sending him tumbling. Shadow then pulled out both his Chaos Emeralds, hovered several feet off the ground with his Jet Boots, and began firing a barrage of energy blasts. Discord was hidden from sight in the dust cloud, yet Shadow could sense he was still in there, and continued his fire relentlessly.

Outside the barrier, Celestia stared in awe, her jaw hanging open; these four off-worlders were fighting the abomination who had trounced her & Luna simultaneously… and winning. Even with their tales of defeating the Water God Chaos, the Metal Overlord, and the full might of Black Doom, she could scarcely believe her eyes. Truly, they must be heroes on par with the Element-Bearers. And their artifacts, the Chaos Emeralds…

“Unreal…” Silver muttered. “I knew they were powerful, but this is… We might actually have a chance of pulling this off…”

After a while, the barrier separating the two groups faded away (AN: as did the battle music). Everyone else ran over to the four as Shadow came back down to ground.

“He’s not done yet” Shadow said before anyone else could speak.

Sure enough, a swirling pillar of black and violet energy shot up into the sky from within the dust cloud. There was an unholy growl, and a tremendous malevolent presence was felt. A claw nearly three times the size it was previously, now with faded grey and purple colors, came out of the whirling darkness. Glowing red eyes and a shifting serpentine body were visible within.

“I guess he’s taking us seriously now” Knuckles said.

“We’ve never seen this state of him,” Luna said, her voice shaking, “nor has he ever displayed this much raw power. Not even when my sister and I fought him with everything we had. He’s never taken his foes seriously before.”

“We’re facing one of the most dangerous things in existence” Celestia said gravely. “A Draconequus enraged.”

The pillar faded away, revealing Discord’s full-power form. In addition to nearly tripling in size, Discord’s head had shifted to more like that of an Eastern Dragon. Glowing red eyes over a mouth filled with huge fangs, eight wings – either black pegasus or bat-like –, a tail with large black spikes coming out of it, the claws on his three claw-bearing limbs lengthened and pitch-black, and anyone who looked too close to where one part of his body joined another their eyes would ache. His once-colorful body was now various shades of grey, black, and faded purple & blue.

Arrogant mortals! You think those fancy artifacts of yours give you enough power to defeat me?! Me, the personification of disharmony, Daemon Prince of Chaos, render of civilizations, who managed to effortlessly annihilate the rest of my weak-willed Draconequus brethren when they dared attempt to put a stop to my rise to glory?! You are nothing before me!! All sapient beings are my playthings, to manipulate and discard as I see fit! If you dare stand against me, I will annihilate your very souls!!”

“Do you have any idea just how many times I’ve been told something like that by who-knows-how-many different beings, only for me and my friends to flatten them?” Sonic shouted back. “You’ll be just another name on the list!”

The raging daemon said nothing, instead taking off, flying straight up at great speed, disappearing into the clouds.

“He’s trying to get to a spot high enough where he can hit anywhere on the continent from!” Pinkie said.

“What are we gonna do?” Twilight said. “Without the power of the Elements…”

Due to the sound of harmonizing magic, everyone’s attention was drawn to Sonic and Shadow, who stood back to back… as the seven Chaos Emeralds floated, glowed, and spun in a slow circle around them. The spin grew in speed and the light in intensity, the circle tightening as the gems converged on the two. Faster and faster, closer and closer, until finally there was a flash of golden light. The Chaos Emeralds disappeared, and now the two floated off the ground, enveloped in blazing golden auras, their fur gold and white, the irises of their eyes now red. The power they were radiating was overwhelming to the girls, and even Celestia & Luna marveled at the sheer power.

“This is the true, full power of the Chaos Emeralds” Amy simply said.

“The word ‘awesome’ is so overrated…” Applejack muttered, her eyes as wide as everyone else’s, “but this… truly inspires awe…”

Sonic turned his gaze to the Royal Sisters. “Wanna help?” he asked, his voice lacking its usual cheer but radiating calm confidence.

After several seconds of consideration, both of them nodded, their own auras – light-yellow and dark-blue – flaring to life. Soon, a quartet of blazing multicolored ‘comets’ shot up into the sky, in hot pursuit of the daemon who now menaced the world.

-SCENE BREAK-

Even though it was currently early afternoon, the sky for several miles around Discord was darkened, as if his mere presence repelled some of the Sun’s light. Here, over 35,000 feet up, he had briefly leveled off to observe, to see if he had gained enough altitude to widen his range enough to allow him to strike a large enough portion of the continent for his tastes. He saw that he hadn’t quite yet, and prepared to fly higher. However, he spotted a quartet of lights flying up at him: the alicorn pair, and the two hedgehogs who now overflowed with power.

(BOSS MUSIC: Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep (Final Mix) OST – “Hunter of the Dark”)

So you wanna play some more? Alright… I haven’t gotten to kill anything since I was last free here 1,300 years ago… Your life-forces will make a nice appetizer.”

Luna made the first move, firing an explosive blast of raw magic as big across as her torso. Milliseconds after it launched, it was enveloped in a shell of Shadow’s enhanced power, streaking through the air towards Discord. He raised a shield, and the sphere detonated against it with such force that the shield shattered, and the blast sent Discord flying back. He caught himself, snarling as he thrust his claw forward, firing a large beam of dark Chaos energy at them. They broke formation in response, dodging the beam and returning fire – bursts of Light and Dark magic from the sisters, and bolts of raw Chaos energy from the two hedgehogs. The storm of energy bolts, each as large as a head, came shooting at the daemon all at once from multiple directions. Some of Sonic’s and Celestia’s managed to get through his defenses, and he roared in anger and pain.

So in addition to the two rats, you sisters have gotten stronger since I last fought you, and their gems are protecting you from my power…” he growled. “This may prove to be a challenge after all.”

Nobody calls me a rat…” Sonic murmured angrily, and he then unleashed a gold-tinted directed tornado of slicing wind at Discord. Discord responded with a roar that pushed back against the whirlwind, struggling against it. Eventually, the two attacks canceled each other out mostly; a small burst of slicing winds cut into Discord lightly, while a small shockwave sent Sonic tumbling backward through the air several meters before catching himself. Shadow fired a Chaos Spear, the golden-yellow projectile of semi-solid Chaos energy smashing into Discord from behind.

After barely withstanding the sudden pain of so much raw Chaos power hitting him off-guard, Discord sprang into motion, his serpentine form flying through the aerial battlefield. As he got Luna in his sights, he exhaled a huge sphere of shifting-colors fire that shot through the air toward her. She telekinetically pushed back at it; it came to a stop as it tried to push through, but it was too powerful for her to shove away by herself. The tug-of-war went on for several seconds before Sonic flew in and added his own force to it, timing a Chaos-supercharged kick with a telekinetic shove from Luna, and together they sent the fireball soaring off into the distance; it exploded, a flash of light faintly visible from the ground far below.

Sonic’s golden aura brightened, and he flew towards Discord at great speed. He dodged a barrage of energy blasts and a claw-swipe, and came in with a super-speed punch that hammered Discord in the upper chest, sending him flying in the opposite direction. When Discord regained control and came to a stop, he found Shadow hovering next to him, glowing with red energy… which he then unleashed:

“Chaos Blast!”

The expanding explosion-wave of Chaos energy did quite a number of the Draconequus, who briefly plummeted before regaining control 2,000 feet later. A barrage of Celestia’s fireballs, each the size of his head, hit him before he could react, damaging him further. And then Shadow and Luna flew in and began hammering him from all directions with high-speed blows, wounding him further… and keeping him occupied. Several hundred feet beneath him, Celestia was charging the most powerful attack she could muster – her “Fusion Sphere”. Sonic hovered next to her, ready to charge the completed attack with his own power. Soon, a tiny miniature sun hovered in the air above Celestia’s raised horn. She sent the telepathic message to Luna, who pulled out, Shadow following her.

Discord groaned as he lamented his lack of fast-acting regenerative powers; this beating would take decades to recover from. He suddenly sensed as a massively powerful blast of power, bearing the energy signatures of Celestia and the normally-blue hedgehog, came rushing toward him. Binds of Chaos magic from Shadow held him in place, and his eyes widened in fear as the cataclysmic bolt of energy came at him. The attack struck him, pushing him higher and higher up at great speed, until he was nearly 50,000 feet up; at the same time, the four below were diving to get closer to the ground… farther away from the blast radius. In the last few seconds, Discord sensed, to his great horror, that this would not petrify him. And he realized exactly what Nightmare had set him up for.

And then the Fusion Sphere, amplified by the Chaos Emeralds’ power, detonated with a combined force of nearly 20 megatons, Holy and Chaos magic going off in a blinding display of power. There was an unearthly sound as a reality-distorting wave of wild Chaotic power joined the explosion – a dying burst of daemonic energy. Discord, last of the Draconequi, Daemon Prince of Chaos, had at long last been utterly destroyed.

Far away, Nightmare felt satisfaction. He had known from the start that his knight-turned-pawn could not have survived the powers brought to bear against him. However, in death Discord had fulfilled his purpose: distraction. The 200-millenia-old entity now cloaked itself from detection, settling in overtop a “minor” planetary magical nexus and beginning to feast on the excess power radiating from it.

-SCENE BREAK-

In the Royal Garden, the quartet came in for a landing amongst the six girls and Team Sonic. Sonic & Shadow dispelled their transformations, the seven Chaos Emeralds now sitting on the ground around them. All four were exhausted, but victorious. Celestia felt more joy than she had in ages at having sensed the permanent destruction of one of the most monstrous foes in Equestrian history.

“Did you seal him again?” Rarity asked them.

“No” Shadow replied. “Discord is dead. He’ll never trouble this world again.”

The girls’ jaws dropped; the power of the Chaos Emeralds was this strong?

“Come” the exhausted Celestia said. “We must figure out how to find and stop Nightmare… before he brings about worse devastation than Discord ever could.”

The group headed into the castle, as high above the last ripple of chaotic power faded away, leaving the sky clear and blue once more.

Author's Note:

This was made before Season 3, and thus before Canon!Discord's Heel-Face Turn.